MagPul PTS MASADA ACR

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yours definitely had wobble. And it has since been fixed. Who else's has been confirmed to have wobble? Because out of the 3000 units sold so far, yours is the only one that I'm aware of that has been

I like how me pointing out the obvious in my last post has garnered a negative rep. LOL. Haters gonna hate.

I Lol'd at all the fanboys who had to have this must have aeg. To be honest it seems as if youy have all been taken for a ride. My A&K Masada with systema gearbox *suitcases* all over this ares ab

Posted Images

Just picked up my UK Spec Masada in Foliage Green from Dingodogs. Must admit i drove home fairly quickly to change it over to sliding stock which was also from Dingo. I think i might as well sell all my other AEGs.

Initial impressions are great, nice and sturdy, folding stock also slid in without the need for any filing, again its also rock solid. Just put 3 mags through it, all fed fine, no trigger problems as of yet.

Edited by SwatMP5man

Just got back from swapping out my MASADA for a new, this one is number 1340, no hand guard or barrel wobble, no shims on the barrel, and required a modified stock pin to fit the folding stock. Once again big thanks to Strikeforce for fighting with Spartan Imports to get them to cover it. Also Spartan has admitted that there IS a problem with the gearbox shell/trigger fitment as they have had atleast one of other gun be returned for the same issue, and get this the fix they prescribe is using electrical tape to shim the trigger, electrical tape to fix a $500 Gun, that is obscene.

After having my Magpul PTS ACR/Masada for quite a while now, I was seriously considering purchasing the Magpul Masada folding stock and sling mount, reading through the many posts on this thread, I'm suddenly not so sure anymore.

Don't let it put you off at least not for a while. Though I'm glad a lot of the suppliers are stepping in to help product support, it should still fall on Magpul to make sure that they eliminate these little problems soon and before their products ship out. Plastic quality is excellent and its something they have going for them (at least for now). There are a ton of people waiting in the wings for the gas kit to come out and Magpul would be passing up a great opportunity not to have these things sorted by then.

I'm looking to upgrade to a tight bore barrel but I want to confirm the length before I buy. I took the inner barrel out and it measured 15 in not the 14.5 that I've seen stated. Are barrel lengths not end to end? (Sorry, first time upgrade for me). I read a review that the barrel is 375 mm, which is pretty close to 15 inches.

Before it is pointed out that I should search the thread, the topic search sucks because even though it returns results, the links never point to the actual reply and it's a 65 page thread. Takes too long to read it again.

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking to upgrade to a tight bore barrel but I want to confirm the length before I buy. I took the inner barrel out and it measured 15 in not the 14.5 that I've seen stated. Are barrel lengths not end to end? (Sorry, first time upgrade for me). I read a review that the barrel is 375 mm, which is pretty close to 15 inches.

Before it is pointed out that I should search the thread, the topic search sucks because even though it returns results, the links never point to the actual reply and it's a 65 page thread. Takes too long to read it again.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know why the barrel has been described as 14.5in, maybe to mimic the RS version?

As for the actual inner barrel length, you appear to have answered your own question. However, I don't think there are any precision barrels available at that exact length, so you will have to buy a shorter barrel. The closest I can find is an M4A1 barrel at 363mm long. You will still see an improvement despite the shorter length (assuming that the stock barrel can be improved upon, which is probable considering the quality of the rest of the internals). In airsoft, barrel length doesn't affect accuracy as much as with a real gun. The important factor is the consistency of the inner diameter along the entire length of the barrel. PDI and Madbull make good barrels, Madbull being my choice as they're cheaper. You also have to make sure the cylinder volume is matched to the barrel length, but with such a small difference between the stock Masada barrel and an M4A1 barrel, you might be fine sticking with the stock cylinder.

Received my UK-spec Masada last week, with 1 free Pmag kindly thrown in from Dingodogs.

"Microswitch/Trigger

The microswitch says it's rated for only 15A which is quite low, so it wouldn't last long if used with a high performance battery and motor combination without a mosfet. So while the microswitch is a nice idea, it's a half-baked one and something of a liability when upgrading. It doesn't provide much physical resistance, so you can't feel a nice, crisp click (although you can hear it). In fact, the design of the trigger is such that a trigger pull actually releases the switch, so installing a stronger microswitch wouldn't improve it. The trigger itself is let down hugely by the fire selector design becasue when reassembling the gun, it's very difficult to correctly align the selector gears with the lower receiver. This is a part which actually requires some 'tuning' to get right, which could have been so easily avoided with a better design. The trigger does seem to be very sensitive to slight fire-selector movement, bizzarely requiring a stronger trigger pull in certain positions. Definitely needs some learning to get right.

Motor

The motor doesn't use the strong neodymium magnets found in high performance motors, so this would be one of the first things to replace. The best motors can be bought for around $20, so it's a disappointment that the gun doesn't include one.

Anti-Reversal Latch

I had problems with the stock ARL. I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with it, as it didn't appear to be binding on anything, but there was audible backspin until I replaced it.

Gears

I reaplaced the stock gears immediately, so I can't comment on their performance or durability. It was disappointing to see that the bevel gear only has 4 ARL teeth."

I appreciate your review. I had some suspiscion about the micro switch as I have encountered a similar problem with my Tavor. My unit is going to the shop for upgrading tomorrow and I will be insisting on a mosfet.

Had the same experience with the folding stock. Minor filing of the stock to fit is required it but slots on solidly after that. Still, it's not something you should have to live with for a gun in this price range..

Same here - took about 20 minutes with a file to fix the problem but I was disappointed it didn't drop straight in.

Otherwise the build is good. Feels very solid, nothing wobbles, and the finish is excellent. I haven't had much chance to test it out but the couple of hundred rounds I put through it so far have fed perfectly and accuracy has been good.

Jason

PS. Thanks to everyone who has posted useful info on this thread. Once I've had a chance to use the gun in anger I'll add my thoughts as well.

Received my UK-spec Masada last week, with 1 free Pmag kindly thrown in from Dingodogs.

"Microswitch/Trigger

The microswitch says it's rated for only 15A which is quite low, so it wouldn't last long if used with a high performance battery and motor combination without a mosfet. So while the microswitch is a nice idea, it's a half-baked one and something of a liability when upgrading. It doesn't provide much physical resistance, so you can't feel a nice, crisp click (although you can hear it). In fact, the design of the trigger is such that a trigger pull actually releases the switch, so installing a stronger microswitch wouldn't improve it. The trigger itself is let down hugely by the fire selector design becasue when reassembling the gun, it's very difficult to correctly align the selector gears with the lower receiver. This is a part which actually requires some 'tuning' to get right, which could have been so easily avoided with a better design. The trigger does seem to be very sensitive to slight fire-selector movement, bizzarely requiring a stronger trigger pull in certain positions. Definitely needs some learning to get right.

Motor

The motor doesn't use the strong neodymium magnets found in high performance motors, so this would be one of the first things to replace. The best motors can be bought for around $20, so it's a disappointment that the gun doesn't include one.

Anti-Reversal Latch

I had problems with the stock ARL. I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with it, as it didn't appear to be binding on anything, but there was audible backspin until I replaced it.

Gears

I reaplaced the stock gears immediately, so I can't comment on their performance or durability. It was disappointing to see that the bevel gear only has 4 ARL teeth."

I appraciate the review. I suspected that the micro switch might present a problem during upgrading, having encountered a similar problem with my Ares CTAR-21 Tavor. My ACR is due for upgrading this week and I will be insisting on a MOSFET to avoid prematurely frying the micro switch. However, could you tell me what cylinder head type my ACR has? Is it a version 2 or 3 cylinder head? Also, in an attempt to prevent gearbox stress fractures from forming due to the weak points presented by the twin hex screws located in the mag well, I have decided to install a PDI 190 spring coupled with a systema silent type piston head and a sorbo pad. Do you think these will be enough to prevent gearbox failure? Your input on the matter will be highly appreciated.

Edited by warspite

The UK Spec versions currently being sold by Dingodogs Airsoft are RoHS compliant, thus the extra wait for them. Other retailers have imported foreign versions which have been manufactured differently and are not RoHS compliant. At this time i believe only Dingo has the UK spec RoHS compliant ones in stock.

The UK Spec versions currently being sold by Dingodogs Airsoft are RoHS compliant, thus the extra wait for them. Other retailers have imported foreign versions which have been manufactured differently and are not RoHS compliant. At this time i believe only Dingo has the UK spec RoHS compliant ones in stock.

How come then UKARA retailers are selling equipment thats not up to UK spec and are allowed to do so, some of these retailers formed UKARA and sell stuff thats clearly not RoHS compliant (which on the UKARA website they clearly speak about RoHS), shocking , especially when they don't give a dam about selling ASIAN guns that will fall apart / break, clearly ripping of the good people that spend good money, well done DINGODOGS for selling compliant equipment all i can say bout other retailers is i hope ur day of justice will arrive

• Like 1

Mightiestar...

are you an idiot and a racists, or just a troll?

The guns aren't Japanese made, they are made by Magpul Hong Kong.

Japanese guns are usually of a very good quality, but I don't want to over generalize.

Jap is very derogatory and don't think it should be tolerated on the forums.

Edited by dstole

I am not an idiot, a racists or indeed a troll, i merely shortened the word Japenese to Jap, as people shorten the word British to Brit. I'm not being derogatory so you'll just have to tollerate what you read,, SO THEN,, The thing in question are the guns from Hong Kong or wherever for that matter RoHS compliant ???? !!! i think not,,, so then will UKARA retailers start selling RoHS compliant equipment,,

• Like 1

@ Mightiestar

Fair enough. Glad you aren't on here just to make everyone's blood boil :) My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

Just FYI, and to help keep PC folks like me off your back (:P), since the end of WW2 the common abbreviation for Japan is JPN or JP (for web related content).

I hope more retailers will start bringing in the compliant MAGPULs soon.

Is there a penalty for selling or buying non RoHS?

@ Mightiestar

Fair enough. Glad you aren't on here just to make everyone's blood boil smile.gif My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

Just FYI, and to help keep PC folks like me off your back (tongue.gif), since the end of WW2 the common abbreviation for Japan is JPN or JP (for web related content).

I hope more retailers will start bringing in the compliant MAGPULs soon.

Is there a penalty for selling or buying non RoHS?

i do beleive that RoHS can prevent dodgy equipment from being sold in the UK market, they have powers to do this without taking people to court, many thanks for you pointing out the correct way of abbreviating Japenese to JPN

RoHS compliance has basically nothing much to do with the overall quality of an AEG, all it does is set out certain H&S related rules about which kinds of materials can be used in the construction of certain products; things like not using paints containing large amounts of potentially harmful elements and/or compounds, lead for exmaple. I've got a couple of AEG rifles and GBB pistols that are nearly 5 years old and quite likely don't comply with that particular set of rules, but they're still perfectly good airsoft guns which work well.

End of the day, looking at airsoft in a broader perspective, it's a pretty small issue and I'm not sure why you've got such a big interest in retailers sticking to it, the differences between the different international specifications of the ACRs PTS are producing are pretty small. If someone were to switch your UK spec rifle with an Asia spec one while you weren't looking, realistically you wouldn't notice the difference, other than maybe it'd shoot a little bit further.