MagPul PTS MASADA ACR

I appraciate the review. I suspected that the micro switch might present a problem during upgrading, having encountered a similar problem with my Ares CTAR-21 Tavor. My ACR is due for upgrading this week and I will be insisting on a MOSFET to avoid prematurely frying the micro switch. However, could you tell me what cylinder head type my ACR has? Is it a version 2 or 3 cylinder head? Also, in an attempt to prevent gearbox stress fractures from forming due to the weak points presented by the twin hex screws located in the mag well, I have decided to install a PDI 190 spring coupled with a systema silent type piston head and a sorbo pad. Do you think these will be enough to prevent gearbox failure? Your input on the matter will be highly appreciated.

What problem have you encountered with your Tavor?

The cylinder head is unfortunately also proprietary, which I forgot to mention in my review. This is due to the length of the cylinder head nozzle. Luckily it's not a part which needs upgrading, as a perfect airseal can be acheived by wrapping some PTFE (Teflon) sealing tape around the cylinder head.

The Systema silent piston head is a bad choice, so I would discourage you from buying it if you haven't done so already. It is not supposed to be used with normal cylinder heads due to the shape. It's too heavy (heavy piston assemblies are to be avoided), and lastly it's overpriced like 99% of Systema's product range.

As far as I'm aware, it's very difficult to crack a gearbox unless you're unlucky and recieve one with a manafacturing defect, or you are running a very high power setup (for which careful tuning is crucial). The PDI 190 is a relatively weak spring so you will probably not crack your gearbox with it, but other parts may fail. I don't know what other parts you plan to upgrade, but I doubt the Masada could pull that spring at a decent rate of fire, or last long before something breaks. I wouldn't expect the magwell screw holes in the Masada gearbox to affect its durability at all, as they are well away from the cylinder window (the part which cracks when a gearbox does start to fail). But I'm far from the best person to comment on the durability of gearboxes. Head over to the forums at AirsoftMechanics.com and run some searches on gearbox durability (and look for info on a decent piston head too). All the information you need on airsoft is already on that forum. You don't even need to start a new topic. The Masada gearbox is similar enough to the V2 gearbox that information you find on the V2 will largely apply to the Masada gearbox in terms of design. As for durability I don't think anyone has done actual tests, and I don't think you'd be able to persuade anyone to run tests, as the only way to get a new shell would be to buy a new Masada. There are a few steps you can take to minimise stress to the gearbox shell, but without any scientifically obtained data on the durability of the shell, you'll have to just do your best and see how it goes.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yours definitely had wobble. And it has since been fixed. Who else's has been confirmed to have wobble? Because out of the 3000 units sold so far, yours is the only one that I'm aware of that has been

I like how me pointing out the obvious in my last post has garnered a negative rep. LOL. Haters gonna hate.

I Lol'd at all the fanboys who had to have this must have aeg. To be honest it seems as if youy have all been taken for a ride. My A&K Masada with systema gearbox *suitcases* all over this ares ab

Posted Images

RoHS compliance has basically nothing much to do with the overall quality of an AEG, all it does is set out certain H&S related rules about which kinds of materials can be used in the construction of certain products; things like not using paints containing large amounts of potentially harmful elements and/or compounds, lead for exmaple. I've got a couple of AEG rifles and GBB pistols that are nearly 5 years old and quite likely don't comply with that particular set of rules, but they're still perfectly good airsoft guns which work well.

End of the day, looking at airsoft in a broader perspective, it's a pretty small issue and I'm not sure why you've got such a big interest in retailers sticking to it, the differences between the different international specifications of the ACRs PTS are producing are pretty small. If someone were to switch your UK spec rifle with an Asia spec one while you weren't looking, realistically you wouldn't notice the difference, other than maybe it'd shoot a little bit further.

Ok then, so you buy a gun that's not RoHS compliant, it's full of HARMFUL componants and made cheaply, some will work well, some will give of harmful fumes and will fall apart as soon as look at it. RoHS is not a small issue (it's everyones business to comply) it's there to protect the end user, think of dodgy girls dolls that speak when a buttons pressed, because they're cheap imported ###### from the far east, will it catch fire burn your house down or even kill your child. Extreme yes but that's what RoSH is for to protect the guy from buying harmful potentially dangerous equipment, too many retailers are importing non RoHS compliant bits of kit, everyone wants to able buy kit at a reasonable cost, but at what cost are you really buying something for.

I am not an idiot, a racists or indeed a troll, i merely shortened the word Japenese to Jap, as people shorten the word British to Brit. I'm not being derogatory so you'll just have to tollerate what you read,, SO THEN,, The thing in question are the guns from Hong Kong or wherever for that matter RoHS compliant ???? !!! i think not,,, so then will UKARA retailers start selling RoHS compliant equipment,,

I'm pretty sure all the guns are made in the same place, just a few alterations to the UK spec models.

I think it's just better wiring, different paint, a less powerful spring and an extra bit of plastic screwed onto the hand guard to hold the retainer pin.

All good things of course but it hardly makes it a completely different gun.

I highly doubt most guns are ROHS compliant, seems Magpul went a step further than most manufacturers in this department?

(I'm only saying this as I've never seen or heard of another gun being advertised as fully ROHS compliant)

• Like 2

Ok then, so you buy a gun that's not RoHS compliant, it's full of HARMFUL componants and made cheaply, some will work well, some will give of harmful fumes and will fall apart as soon as look at it.

Yeah, it's a known fact, only in the UK can you get AEGs that won't blow up in your hands, the rest of the world is still at the Medieval Ages trying to make reliable AEGs with stones and strings. Thanks God UK made the RoHS standard so the rest of the world can try making their own, reliable, AEGs.

PS: my computer is catching fire as I write since it was made in Japan.

/sarcasm off (nothing against UK, but mightiestar is obviously a serious troll or has a serious case of head up his but*, and since RoHS is UK only, I had to mention it)

Edited by Ycare
  • Like 3

What problem have you encountered with your Tavor?

The cylinder head is unfortunately also proprietary, which I forgot to mention in my review. This is due to the length of the cylinder head nozzle. Luckily it's not a part which needs upgrading, as a perfect airseal can be acheived by wrapping some PTFE (Teflon) sealing tape around the cylinder head.

The Systema silent piston head is a bad choice, so I would discourage you from buying it if you haven't done so already. It is not supposed to be used with normal cylinder heads due to the shape. It's too heavy (heavy piston assemblies are to be avoided), and lastly it's overpriced like 99% of Systema's product range.

As far as I'm aware, it's very difficult to crack a gearbox unless you're unlucky and recieve one with a manafacturing defect, or you are running a very high power setup (for which careful tuning is crucial). The PDI 190 is a relatively weak spring so you will probably not crack your gearbox with it, but other parts may fail. I don't know what other parts you plan to upgrade, but I doubt the Masada could pull that spring at a decent rate of fire, or last long before something breaks. I wouldn't expect the magwell screw holes in the Masada gearbox to affect its durability at all, as they are well away from the cylinder window (the part which cracks when a gearbox does start to fail). But I'm far from the best person to comment on the durability of gearboxes. Head over to the forums at AirsoftMechanics.com and run some searches on gearbox durability (and look for info on a decent piston head too). All the information you need on airsoft is already on that forum. You don't even need to start a new topic. The Masada gearbox is similar enough to the V2 gearbox that information you find on the V2 will largely apply to the Masada gearbox in terms of design. As for durability I don't think anyone has done actual tests, and I don't think you'd be able to persuade anyone to run tests, as the only way to get a new shell would be to buy a new Masada. There are a few steps you can take to minimise stress to the gearbox shell, but without any scientifically obtained data on the durability of the shell, you'll have to just do your best and see how it goes.

Re: the Tavor, my team mates and I made the mistake of upgrading our units without checking the specs for its micro switch. After a few games using an 11.1v 1450 mAh 15C li-poly battery coupled to a Classic Army Extreme motor, my rifle gave out. Had my air smith replace the switch with a higher capacity one. Unfortunately, it took two months to finally iron out all issues.

As of today, I am still locked in a debate with my new air smith (actually the only one with upgrading experience with the Magpul Masada so far), with me insisting on a Mosfet, and the air smith claiming that he can rectify the switch problem by installing a thicker copper plate (to which I argued that a micro switch being electronic, the effort will basically make no difference).

Re: The Systema Silent Type Piston Head, I will take your advice and avoid it.

As for the ACR's gearbox, my over cautious approach is largely due to the fact that Philippine Shops are notorious for failing to provide proprietary spare parts for unique AEGs, forcing most to order from Red Wolf HK or direct from the manufacturer, which takes almost forever. I also took note of your assessment of the ACR's anti-reverse latch and have purchased a Guarder unit to replace it with.

For gears, I have opted for the Systema Helical STU ratio gears. My motor choice is Systema's Magnum motor (Both I have purchased earlier as possible spares).

As for the PDI, it is not my first choice, but i thought it prudent to stick to a safer alternative.

I appreciate your input and advice, and hopefully, all will be well with my Masada in a week.

Edited by warspite
  • Like 1

Ok then, so you buy a gun that's not RoHS compliant, it's full of HARMFUL componants and made cheaply, some will work well, some will give of harmful fumes and will fall apart as soon as look at it. RoHS is not a small issue (it's everyones business to comply) it's there to protect the end user, think of dodgy girls dolls that speak when a buttons pressed, because they're cheap imported ###### from the far east, will it catch fire burn your house down or even kill your child. Extreme yes but that's what RoSH is for to protect the guy from buying harmful potentially dangerous equipment, too many retailers are importing non RoHS compliant bits of kit, everyone wants to able buy kit at a reasonable cost, but at what cost are you really buying something for.

Did you choose to ignore half of my post as well as others when you continued to spout this utter rubbish? The vast majority (we're talking probably well over 95% here) of airsoft weapons, parts and equipment that are currently available to purchase, be it from UK or foreign retailers, do not specifically comply with this particular rule set. Therefore, by extension there are thousands upon thousands of airsofters out there who are currently using all this 'oh so dangerous and low quality' kit, who are all totally lead-poisoning free and not having their AEGs blow up in their face just because they don't comply with these rules. You've got no actual facts to back up what you're saying, and it doesn't half show.

You know how many threads come up here if you search for "rohs"? Two. I've been looking through them along with various linked material and I'm yet to find a single shred of a hint of someone saying "I decided to lick my DBoys M4 for breakfast every day and now I've got heavy metal poisoning". I work with cadmium plated kit all day every day, along with about a hundred other chemicals and other nasty stuff that stays in your body and has carcinogenic properties, yet somehow I'm just fine and cancer free, and so is every one of my colleagues. If you're stupid enough to buy a very cheap Chinese gun, and then decide to sand off all the paint in a confined space without any sort of dust mask and go out of your way to breathe all the particles in, then maybe there might be an issue, but it's still a fairly slim chance and would be entirely your own fault for being so idiotic. You strike me as the sort of person that advocates fast-food restaurants putting the huge, red "this scalding hot coffee is hot and might scald you" warnings on their beverages.

Looking at the ACR specifically, would you care to point me to all the reports in this thread of the horrific, ticking-time-bomb non-UK spec rifles that have caused all manner of terrible injury? Far as I know, none of my airsoft armoury is RoHS compliant, and I've got in the rough region of ~£5k worth of weaponry that I've spent dozens of hours using and put 10s of thousands of BBs through, many of them being cheap chinese guns, and I've not had even a hint of a malfunction from any of them; and I'm far from alone in this respect, something that most experienced airsoft players are aware of. Does it make more sense to buy the UK specification ACR in this country? Yes, because it's a more suitable muzzle velocity and the handguard has the extra reinforced part to lessen any wobble issues. But worrying about the kind of solder used on the wiring harness, that many people will likely never see, and the type of paint on the upper receive,r that you're hardly ever going to touch; that's just ridiculous.

Somewhat think we've come to the end of the RoHS arguement now.

It was never a 'this masada, is 10000%s better as it's UK spec' arguement, more a justification to them being later to arrive in the UK than elsewhere, to prove that the import standards in the UK are tightening and companies are working with RoHS to improve standards, and also to prove that there where some slight differences between the models.

That said, PTS worked to 'improve' the above mentioned elements to suit UK law, as a knock on all models produced may include these features.

• Like 2

Somewhat think we've come to the end of the RoHS arguement now.

It was never a 'this masada, is 10000%s better as it's UK spec' arguement, more a justification to them being later to arrive in the UK than elsewhere, to prove that the import standards in the UK are tightening and companies are working with RoHS to improve standards, and also to prove that there where some slight differences between the models.

That said, PTS worked to 'improve' the above mentioned elements to suit UK law, as a knock on all models produced may include these features.

Couldn't agree more; where any idea that the UK version is infinitely superior ever came from I've no idea, just wanted to sure no mis-information gets spread.

Re: the Tavor, my team mates and I made the mistake of upgrading our units without checking the specs for its micro switch. After a few games using an 11.1v 1450 mAh 15C li-poly battery coupled to a Classic Army Extreme motor, my rifle gave out. Had my air smith replace the switch with a higher capacity one. Unfortunately, it took two months to finally iron out all issues.

As of today, I am still locked in a debate with my new air smith (actually the only one with upgrading experience with the Magpul Masada so far), with me insisting on a Mosfet, and the air smith claiming that he can rectify the switch problem by installing a thicker copper plate (to which I argued that a micro switch being electronic, the effort will basically make no difference).

Re: The Systema Silent Type Piston Head, I will take your advice and avoid it.

As for the ACR's gearbox, my over cautious approach is largely due to the fact that Philippine Shops are notorious for failing to provide proprietary spare parts for unique AEGs, forcing most to order from Red Wolf HK or direct from the manufacturer, which takes almost forever. I also took note of your assessment of the ACR's anti-reverse latch and have purchased a Guarder unit to replace it with.

For gears, I have opted for the Systema Helical STU ratio gears. My motor choice is Systema's Magnum motor (Both I have purchased earlier as possible spares).

As for the PDI, it is not my first choice, but i thought it prudent to stick to a safer alternative.

I appreciate your input and advice, and hopefully, all will be well with my Masada in a week.

It's unfortunate that your Tavor microswitch caused such problems, but it's very useful for Masada owners to know about! The microswitch is actually mechanical, and not electronic. If your gunsmith can modify the switch with thicker metal, it will decrease resistance thereby increasing the current it can handle. It does seem like an unnecessary modification however, considering that a MOSFET would bypass the microswitch completely while providing other benefits. I'd be suspicious of a gunsmith who felt he didn't have the skill to install a MOSFET in the Masada. While it's more complicated than some guns, it's easily possible as the handguard area is very spacious for extra electronics etc. I have a SW-AB LONG from Extreme Fire, with some extra electronics I've added to power my internal LED tracer unit.

Systema gears are notoriously weak, so I would avoid them. When they fail they can take other parts with them due to loose pieces of metal getting caught between other moving parts. Again, there's more info on this at AirsoftMechanics.com. I would recommend forking out the money for a set of Siegetek gears, but people have had good results from the cheap SHS/5KU/Element gears (all the same product, rebranded).

I don't know what your target FPS is, but I'm not knowledgable enough to say what power level might damage the gearbox structurally. You may well be able to go higher than a PDI 190% spring, but you will have to check ASM (linked above), research it, then make an educated guess based on information on V2 gearboxes (or even better ARES V2 gearboxes). You should also be aware that you can gain higher FPS simply by improving the airseal, so that should be your first goal if you want to use a slightly weaker spring. Teflon tape around the cylinder head, and around the hopup bucking will prevent airleaks at those points. Unfortunately the proprietary air nozzle has no O-ring inside it, presenting an airleak with no easy solution. You might be able to modify an airseal nozzle designed for a different gun to work in the Masada, such as this one after tapering the end to actually fit inside the bucking. Also I found the stock O-ring to cause too much friction inside the cylinder. I replaced mine with a stock TM O-ring with great results.

Let me know how your upgrade progresses.

• Like 1

It's unfortunate that your Tavor microswitch caused such problems, but it's very useful for Masada owners to know about! The microswitch is actually mechanical, and not electronic. If your gunsmith can modify the switch with thicker metal, it will decrease resistance thereby increasing the current it can handle. It does seem like an unnecessary modification however, considering that a MOSFET would bypass the microswitch completely while providing other benefits. I'd be suspicious of a gunsmith who felt he didn't have the skill to install a MOSFET in the Masada. While it's more complicated than some guns, it's easily possible as the handguard area is very spacious for extra electronics etc. I have a SW-AB LONG from Extreme Fire, with some extra electronics I've added to power my internal LED tracer unit.

Systema gears are notoriously weak, so I would avoid them. When they fail they can take other parts with them due to loose pieces of metal getting caught between other moving parts. Again, there's more info on this at AirsoftMechanics.com. I would recommend forking out the money for a set of Siegetek gears, but people have had good results from the cheap SHS/5KU/Element gears (all the same product, rebranded).

I don't know what your target FPS is, but I'm not knowledgable enough to say what power level might damage the gearbox structurally. You may well be able to go higher than a PDI 190% spring, but you will have to check ASM (linked above), research it, then make an educated guess based on information on V2 gearboxes (or even better ARES V2 gearboxes). You should also be aware that you can gain higher FPS simply by improving the airseal, so that should be your first goal if you want to use a slightly weaker spring. Teflon tape around the cylinder head, and around the hopup bucking will prevent airleaks at those points. Unfortunately the proprietary air nozzle has no O-ring inside it, presenting an airleak with no easy solution. You might be able to modify an airseal nozzle designed for a different gun to work in the Masada, such as this one after tapering the end to actually fit inside the bucking. Also I found the stock O-ring to cause too much friction inside the cylinder. I replaced mine with a stock TM O-ring with great results.

Let me know how your upgrade progresses.

I appreciate your gesture in correcting my mistaken notion regarding micro switches and their mechanical nature. Perhaps, I should learn to be more trustful of local gunsmithing skills. However, I neglected to ask what type of cut-off lever the Magpul ACR has? I ask, because a team mate's ACR now refuses to engage single/semi firing.

As for the Siegetek gears, I've seen a set or two and was quite curious about them. SHS gears on the otherhand, I've had some horrific experiences with them, where they completely failed in the heat of battle. Local airsofters wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole (but then again, it could possibly be attributed to poor tuning).

My target FPS is 430-450 FPS, but that may seem overly optimistic at this point.

Thankfully, I have yet to experience any problems with my systema geared AEGs. But I will take your advice and purchase siegetek gears. I will likewise apply your very sound suggestion re: teflon taping the cylinder head. As for my choice of Mosfet, I purchased a TMX Pro with active braking. Frankly, I don't know the brand, but the two recent local gunbans related to our national elections and the much publicized and bungled tourist bus hostage incident which resulted in the deaths of several Hong Kong tourists, and the resultant yet understandable resentment of the Chinese towards my countrymen, have made importation all but impossible.

Not to worry though, I will be visiting my sister in Chelsea soon, and I intend to make up for the supply shortfall with ample purchases from Red Wolf UK while I'm in England.

Edited by warspite

Siegetek gears, although pricey, are quite durable and strong. I've put in the GS-R 14:1 into my ACR. As for SHS, I don't have any experience with them but I have seen ppl put up failures on the web :-

http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/index.php?topic=3505.0

My ACR is comprised of Siegetek gears, AWS Scorpion X445, and Planet AE1000 motor. I'm -very- happy with this combination.

Tacticus do you have any pictures of your internal upgrades/hop/wiring mods?

I don't have any, but I can take some. It's not very pretty in there but it all works. Is there anything specific you'd like to see?

Advice on upgrading the hop would be a huge boon ;)

I don't have the space to do proper accuracy tests, so I don't know if the hopup even needs upgrading. The nub is intergrated into the hopup unit, which I haven't opened up yet as I still need to buy a 4mm roll pin punch, so I can't say how easy it would be to replace with a regular nub.

I appreciate your gesture in correcting my mistaken notion regarding micro switches and their mechanical nature. Perhaps, I should learn to be more trustful of local gunsmithing skills. However, I neglected to ask what type of cut-off lever the Magpul ACR has? I ask, because a team mate's ACR now refuses to engage single/semi firing.

I only know this because I took the microswitch apart to see how it worked! I'm one of those people who has to take everything apart :) I'd still be wary of a gunsmith who favoured modifying a microswitch over installing a mosfet though. The benefits of a mosfet are just too great to justify fiddling about with a miscroswitch, in my opinion.

The cut-off lever is also proprietary unfortunately, but without having it in front of me I can't say if it's the cause of the problem. The whole trigger/fire selector design is actually very poor, and there are many possible causes. Loose manafacturing tolerances being a major concern.

As for the Siegetek gears, I've seen a set or two and was quite curious about them. SHS gears on the otherhand, I've had some horrific experiences with them, where they completely failed in the heat of battle. Local airsofters wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole (but then again, it could possibly be attributed to poor tuning).

Siegetek gears, although pricey, are quite durable and strong. I've put in the GS-R 14:1 into my ACR. As for SHS, I don't have any experience with them but I have seen ppl put up failures on the web :-

http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/index.php?topic=3505.0

Yeah, some people have had bad experiences with SHS gears, myself included. I actually started an almost identical topic to the one you linked to, Anakchan. I should have been more specific when suggesting them: They are very affordable, so can be worth experimenting with if you don't want to fork out $100+ for a set of Siegetek gears. If they do break, it's the gear axle that goes so it can be replaced with a different axle (from a TM gear for example). I haven't seen any reports of the actual teeth breaking. Reports of axle failures have dried up now, so it may have just been a bad batch. I'd buy them again for a budget build, but if I can afforf it I'd go for Siegetek every time. I don't think anyone has broken Siegetek gears, at least when using them for their intended purpose. They also have some very nice design features.

My target FPS is 430-450 FPS, but that may seem overly optimistic at this point.

That doesn't sound too optimistic to me. If you don't want to get your hands dirty with upgrading and tuning it yourself, a decent gunsmith will be able to reach that power level reliably.

Not to worry though, I will be visiting my sister in Chelsea soon, and I intend to make up for the supply shortfall with ample purchases from Red Wolf UK while I'm in England.

How long are you in London for? I actually live in London, so if you brought your Masada gearbox with you, I could actually upgrade it for you while you're here. I don't think Red Wolf UK sell directly to the public, but there are plenty of retailers here. Unfortunately they are fairly expensive, and don't sell the cheap Chinese products I like to use, so I prefer to order from eHobbyAsia to save money. Orders usually take only 7 days to arrive so this might be a feasible option for you too.

While you're in London you might want to visit Wolf Armouries in Camden. It's nothing special and overpriced, but they have a few nice bits of kit lying around.

My ACR is comprised of Siegetek gears, AWS Scorpion X445, and Planet AE1000 motor. I'm -very- happy with this combination.

Similar to mine, apart from the 'fet. Have you installed the gearbox, hopup and bolt release sensors for your Scorpion? I've wanted to try out an AWS 'fet for a while now.

Edited by Tacitus
Similar to mine, apart from the 'fet. Have you installed the gearbox, hopup and bolt release sensors for your Scorpion? I've wanted to try out an AWS 'fet for a while now.

No unfortunately not. So my Scorpion is merely emulating a Pulse at the moment. I'll need to do quite a bit of drilling of that metal block housing the hop chamber sits in. Not looking forward to that at the moment.

In terms of trigger response though, I'm very happy with my setup currently. The response is simply phenomenal with the FET, motor & hi-speed gears.

Got my Masada yesterday. Absolutely love it. Only problem is that i havent been able to get out to skirmish it yet. So ive been target shooting from around 20 feet away. But as a target on a box the size of a 5p coin, it seems to be shooting ( with no hop on) , an inch to the right, and about 3 inches down.

Would this be about right from 20ft?

Got my Masada yesterday. Absolutely love it. Only problem is that i havent been able to get out to skirmish it yet. So ive been target shooting from around 20 feet away. But as a target on a box the size of a 5p coin, it seems to be shooting ( with no hop on) , an inch to the right, and about 3 inches down.

Would this be about right from 20ft?

Suggest you set your hop correctly and adjust the iron sites. The rifle zero's pretty well with irons, red dots and scopes despite the usual airsoft smooth bore effect :)

I don't have any, but I can take some. It's not very pretty in there but it all works. Is there anything specific you'd like to see?

I don't have the space to do proper accuracy tests, so I don't know if the hopup even needs upgrading. The nub is intergrated into the hopup unit, which I haven't opened up yet as I still need to buy a 4mm roll pin punch, so I can't say how easy it would be to replace with a regular nub.

I only know this because I took the microswitch apart to see how it worked! I'm one of those people who has to take everything apart smile.gif I'd still be wary of a gunsmith who favoured modifying a microswitch over installing a mosfet though. The benefits of a mosfet are just too great to justify fiddling about with a miscroswitch, in my opinion.

The cut-off lever is also proprietary unfortunately, but without having it in front of me I can't say if it's the cause of the problem. The whole trigger/fire selector design is actually very poor, and there are many possible causes. Loose manafacturing tolerances being a major concern.

Yeah, some people have had bad experiences with SHS gears, myself included. I actually started an almost identical topic to the one you linked to, Anakchan. I should have been more specific when suggesting them: They are very affordable, so can be worth experimenting with if you don't want to fork out $100+ for a set of Siegetek gears. If they do break, it's the gear axle that goes so it can be replaced with a different axle (from a TM gear for example). I haven't seen any reports of the actual teeth breaking. Reports of axle failures have dried up now, so it may have just been a bad batch. I'd buy them again for a budget build, but if I can afforf it I'd go for Siegetek every time. I don't think anyone has broken Siegetek gears, at least when using them for their intended purpose. They also have some very nice design features.

That doesn't sound too optimistic to me. If you don't want to get your hands dirty with upgrading and tuning it yourself, a decent gunsmith will be able to reach that power level reliably.

How long are you in London for? I actually live in London, so if you brought your Masada gearbox with you, I could actually upgrade it for you while you're here. I don't think Red Wolf UK sell directly to the public, but there are plenty of retailers here. Unfortunately they are fairly expensive, and don't sell the cheap Chinese products I like to use, so I prefer to order from eHobbyAsia to save money. Orders usually take only 7 days to arrive so this might be a feasible option for you too.

While you're in London you might want to visit Wolf Armouries in Camden. It's nothing special and overpriced, but they have a few nice bits of kit lying around.

I've been to Red Wolf HK and had purchased direct from their HK office (in Kawloon), so I assume the same is true in England (although I must admit, for a lawyer, I never bothered to check UK laws re: airsoft related purchases). I will probably be there the second week of January and will be staying at Chelsea Cloisters (as I do not want to impose on my sister's family) for two to three weeks, then it's off to Brussels. I am very curious about Wolf Armories though.

I must apologize Tacitus, Im a creature of habit, and often reluctant to try out new things even when it comes to airsoft parts. Although, as I type this message, I have on my table, Siegetek gears I purchased yesterday. I appreciate your tremendous assistance in sorting out my ACR. All I need now is a skillful gunsmith (I might just take you up on your offer should no sufficiently competent gunsmith be found locally).

I had the opportunity to watch my friend open his ACR's gearbox, and you were right. That was the smallest and weirdest looking cut-off lever I have ever seen. As you have forewarned me, the cylinder head is unique in having an unusually long brass nozzle which dictates an equally odd airseal nozzle without any 0-rings. The only redeeming quality of the ACR other than its handsome externals, is perhaps its nicely reinforced gearbox.

Edited by warspite

The Siegetek gears are very durable and it's made by RiotSC of whom you can find on Airsoft Mechanics (http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/index.php?topic=1208.0). Personally, I like to buy and support a product from someone whom I have direct access to on the forums. Similarly Extreme Fire and AWSAirsoft.

I've been to Red Wolf HK and had purchased direct from their HK office (in Kawloon), so I assume the same is true in England (although I must admit, for a lawyer, I never bothered to check UK laws re: airsoft related purchases). I will probably be there the second week of January and will be staying at Chelsea Cloisters (as I do not want to impose on my sister's family) for two to three weeks, then it's off to Brussels. I am very curious about Wolf Armories though.

I must apologize Tacitus, Im a creature of habit, and often reluctant to try out new things even when it comes to airsoft parts. Although, as I type this message, I have on my table, Siegetek gears I purchased yesterday. I appreciate your tremendous assistance in sorting out my ACR. All I need now is a skillful gunsmith (I might just take you up on your offer should no sufficiently competent gunsmith be found locally).

I had the opportunity to watch my friend open his ACR's gearbox, and you were right. That was the smallest and weirdest looking cut-off lever I have ever seen. As you have forewarned me, the cylinder head is unique in having an unusually long brass nozzle which dictates an equally odd airseal nozzle without any 0-rings. The only redeeming quality of the ACR other than its handsome externals, is perhaps its nicely reinforced gearbox.

Let us know if you manage to buy directly from Redwolf UK. I thought they only sold to retailers but if not they could be a great source. Wolf Armouries is really nothing special, and the gunsmiths there don't know much at all. But it's the only airsoft shop in London so you might as well check it out.

Glad you've invested in Siegetek gears. They're probably the best single product I've purchased for airsoft.

Of the proprietary parts in the Masada, only the air nozzle and hopup nub cannot currently be easily upgraded. I've read about a method used to install an o-ring into an air nozzle, which should work for the Masada, but I don't have a decent lathe with which to try it. Apparently someone tapered the hole and glued an o-ring inside the opening, which should produce the same result as a normal airseal nozzle. I might try the method with an old air nozzle I have lying around to see if I can do it, and then carefully try it with the Masada nozzle.

Sorry for the offtopic question, but why are you guys like those Siegetek gears that much? And where do you buy them?

They are the strongest gears you can buy. Nobody has reported breaking them. They also have some nice design features which make them superior to other gears.

I should warn you not to buy them from a shop in Denmark called 'Airsoft Performance", run by someone on Airsoft Mechanics called 'Ringsted'. They resell Siegetek gears, but I was sent a faulty gear which did not fit in the bearing. It took a two months to finally get a working gear sent, including being ignored for two full weeks and having the owner be very reluctant to replace the faulty gear. At first he told me to modify it myself. Only after speaking to the manafacturer did he agree to replace the faulty gear with a working one. He actually wanted to just grind down the original gear and send it to me, but I argued that I paid for a brand new, working gear so that's what I should recieve. It ended up being the worst experience I've ever had with any retailer, let alone in airsoft. Always make sure you buy directly from the manafacturer, who has his own sub-forum on airsoft mechanics.

• Like 1

Wolf Armouries is really nothing special, and the gunsmiths there don't know much at all.

I'd just like to state that as completely untrue; A personal friend of mine is now the Wolf engineer, and has been for the past month or so. He's excellent at what he does; However, Wolf have only had 6 Masadas delivered, and i don't believe Jon has opened one up yet. It's definitely not the best place to get a Masada tinkered with as a result of this, i just felt the need to state the current Wolf gunsmith is excellent at upgrading and repairing any existing platform that isn't quite as brand spanking new as the Masada.