MagPul PTS MASADA ACR

I just got my PTS Masada a few weeks ago. FDE #1649. I was running a 9.6v 1300 Mah in it but was thinking of picking up a lipo. I read all 70+ pages and I see not to run a 11.1v lipo in it, run a 7.4v instead. Does anyone have a recommendation on mah or C rating? If it was posted in this thread I either missed it or I am in information overload and can't remember.

BTW no problems with mine using .27 Bioval clears, although my MAG Brand 130 round midcaps wouldn't lock in until I modified the mag. Everyone else's didn't seem to have any problems. Weird.

Crash

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yours definitely had wobble. And it has since been fixed. Who else's has been confirmed to have wobble? Because out of the 3000 units sold so far, yours is the only one that I'm aware of that has been

I like how me pointing out the obvious in my last post has garnered a negative rep. LOL. Haters gonna hate.

I Lol'd at all the fanboys who had to have this must have aeg. To be honest it seems as if youy have all been taken for a ride. My A&K Masada with systema gearbox *suitcases* all over this ares ab

Posted Images

So I was at the game with dStole and mine's one of the ACR's with issues above. Probably to clarify the 3/4 at the game yesterday, mine was the heavily modified one which to be honest, I think I can hardly call it "PTS" anymore therefore I'd blame my mods rather than imply a PTS issue.

The 2nd (presumably YCare's replacement/repaired PTS ACR), I'm prepared to place a bet that his lockup issues is caused by his "rocking" spring guide. The spring was changed to be JP compliant and was longer and cut on one end. I believe it's an installation error of which when the spring guide end screw was put back into the spring guide, it was already at an angle rather than flush. I fixed his problem in the afteroon - I don't believe he had any problems after. However I think he still should :-

a) find a shorter spring but same power

B) flatten/flush the end of the spring that he cut

c) ensure the spring guide is flat/flush on the mechbox end before he screws in the bolt

I'm finding out the issue with the 3rd one later today, and if you can give me a look at the 5th (the one I was supposed to look at) I can see what's wrong with it. But for now I won't be so quick to blame a 5/7 or 71% failure on the PTS yet. I think it's time for more information and more details before any conclusion.

As an update to this, for the 3rd person having a problem with his ACR, he lost the pin-retaining clip. So as far as I'm concerned, all 3xACR failures weren't manufacturer's defect/design/fault.

So yeah, changing the hophup to the Guarder 50% and using 0.25g made night and day for me. Went from spraying the 20m target with 1/30 hit to something like 2/3. Very satisfied with that.

On the other hand, the ACR did lock up again, for what AnakChan said, the spring was a cut one, and somehow maybe not properly installed (although I was able to install springs on my Tavor via the same way without any problem). So I replaced it for a System irregular pitch 1J, which brings the output to a ~0.86J, which is lower than the spring I was having lock up with (was around 0.94J), and somehow it seems like fine now, but I'm a bit dubious on why my spring guide is rocking so much once in place, much more than my Tavor's.

Last Sunday My Hop Up just didn't work anymore. I do follow rules. Hop up off to take barrel off etc.

Retail Thought to be soft rubber issues. Changed it with a Madull 60%. Amazing again. I have hop up! better than before.

I dont know the name of the bit, but the hop up unit, the wheel. the rubber thing that moves up and down in the gun to put pressure on the hop up rubber bucking thing. lol.

I have been told it is a shape like the Number 8. One part is sold and the other part with a hole. .

This was Crushed on hole side, and it was very soft . This could be due to early attempts of removing barrel and puting it back without thinking. It is replaced with a hard one. problem fix wink.gif

Anybody heard anything official on the accessories?

Dingodogs have posted on their facebook page:

:D

Been in contact. Very Soon like 2 weeks away i hope for RIS.

You may have missed, I believe kithooton stripped his with a 11.1V. I believe he wasn't the first either. I've got my highly modified ACR of which I use 7.4V 1400mAh 30C. But I'm also in Japan so I'm not pulling crazy springs here.

Indeed I did. Destroyed the stock piston. But i Do run a 11v now and its working very well. Feeding only with BB Brands Madbull & Excel for full auto. Others Brands Miss feed for Me.

Just out of interest and baring in mind what has been said about rail size/width and overall length, which pistons have people used and can confirm work in the ACR without need to modify them?

My retailer used a Prometheus Piston, Don't Quote on Me what type or number. But he only took off the some teeth out. Fits in well. No Lock ups. Still Custom tho.

Edited by kithooton

[snip] but I'm a bit dubious on why my spring guide is rocking so much once in place, much more than my Tavor's.

Your Tavor has a different gearbox design. As with my recent experience with piston tolerances for the ACR mechbox, even sub-millimeter differences can cause issues.

[side note]: This isn't specific to just PTS and/or Ares mechbox but in general to other brands - even with TM. If memory serves me correctly, there are specific gear sets for V2 vs V6 as the V6 offset is slightly different.

Just out of interest and baring in mind what has been said about rail size/width and overall length, which pistons have people used and can confirm work in the ACR without need to modify them?

Probably more towards the first 1/2 of this thread, I read of others breaking their pistons too (so kithooton, you're not the first). However I see others recommending TM std pistons, etc. but don't recall what the owners final choices were. Over the weekend I can try the Angel clear piston, but for now the Element orange full teeth's my working replacement.

If a piston isn't compatible, it's usually because the piston teeth are slightly too close to the sector gear, causing excess friction. It's caused by the sector gear bushing hole being too close to the piston guide rails on the mechbox itself. This can be overcome by sanding/grinding down the piston guide rails on either the piston or the gearbox, piston preferably. This is common to many gearbox shells. It's better to modify a decent piston than choose an inferior one just because it fits the Masada gearbox with no modification. So I'd say go with your first choice of piston and sand down the rails of that piston until it meshes well with the sector gear. None of the other dimensions should be an issue, as with most AEGs.

Good tip and I did notice the Supershooter was a little closer to the sector gear than the Element. However in my case at least, the length had a lot to do with it too. These are standard pistons of which I believe are more for a tolerant std V2 mechbox, but it appears PTS (no I'm not ready to call it an Ares :D) V2/V3 mechbox is somewhat less tolerant.

I attempted to take a snapshot of all 3 pistons without a ruler so it's hard to see.

I have some calipers arriving this week, hopefully today, so I'll measure a few pistons for comparison.

Can you be more specific about how piston length was a problem? Too long and unable to fully cycle?

Cheers...yes the Sharp Shooter (which at least according to ASM is an Azimuth clone) was long enough whereby when pulled back, the release tooth on the piston is close to the release tooth on the sector. Of course without a spring, all the pistons had sufficient clearance but with the spring in place it was on the borderline. I guess in summary I'm concluding that the PTS ACR mechbox leaves little room for play compared to other V2 or V3 mechboxes.

Masada or ACR?

Errr, actually it's the same thing :D. At least in PTS's case, even their boxes say ACR Masada. I guess they didn't wanna honour Remington's RS to just call it ACR.

Edited by AnakChan

it is uk spec magpul pts masada

Try different and better quality bb's. I had this issue and it was driving me crazy. In the end it turned out to be the last thing I though of which was the bb's. I was using zero 1 bb's and was having feeding issues but as soon as I tried some blaster 0.2's and 0.25's it worked like a dream.

Hi i am having feeding issues with my pts masasda, the pmag it came with is not feeding well and i have tried ics high caps as well fitfit well but do not feed continously. any ideas

Try different and better quality bb's. I had this issue and it was driving me crazy. In the end it turned out to be the last thing I though of which was the bb's. I was using zero 1 bb's and was having feeding issues but as soon as I tried some blaster 0.2's and 0.25's it worked like a dream.

That's Right Dudes. I was Using my Site's BB Strike Force. Feeding Issues, At time on single shoot. Defiantly on Full Auto. I Use 0.2g Using Excel or MadBull. Both work Full AUTO and Using Lipo 11.v. Every round Counts tongue.gif

I didn't think this was worthy of making into the News page, but it seems the Magpul PTS RIS is out in Jan 2011 :-

http://www.fortress-web.com/SHOP/101210-ptsmsdrhg.html

I'm surprised to see this coming out a Japanese online store first. This definitely isn't the A&K version (which sells for more shockingly).

Edit: Maybe this link is better, since it's the distributor :-

http://www.access-overseas.com/home.htm

Edited by AnakChan

I didn't think this was worthy of making into the News page, but it seems the Magpul PTS RIS is out in Jan 2011 :-

http://www.fortress-web.com/SHOP/101210-ptsmsdrhg.html

I'm surprised to see this coming out a Japanese online store first. This definitely isn't the A&K version (which sells for more shockingly).

Edit: Maybe this link is better, since it's the distributor :-

http://www.access-overseas.com/home.htm

WOW! It costs as much as the real thing!! Way to go PTS!