MagPul PTS MASADA ACR

So I heard from various sources that Magpul was no longer going to outsource the gearbox to Ares and create their own in-house version for the gen 2 Masada. I sent a few e-mails off to various dealers asking if they had heard anything about this and if they were getting these "gen 2" Masadas in stock anytime soon...

I found the first reply I received interesting...

I don't know where you got the idea the internals are made by ARES. It is totally untrue. The biggest falsehood. The item made at the present time is by magpul PTS. Magpul has not licensed and will not licenese this item to anyone for now. All parts are genuine Magpul PTS parts. There is no version 2 and most likely will not have one. All parts on this rifle is unique to Magpul Masada ACR. ARES has no involvement in this.

Hmmmm...

Yeah, somewhere in the last 91 pages theres a few discussions on this. My read is it's got some Ares design nods but Magpul is sourcing the stuff themselves. The only version 2 will come from any design improvements they make over time.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yours definitely had wobble. And it has since been fixed. Who else's has been confirmed to have wobble? Because out of the 3000 units sold so far, yours is the only one that I'm aware of that has been

I like how me pointing out the obvious in my last post has garnered a negative rep. LOL. Haters gonna hate.

I Lol'd at all the fanboys who had to have this must have aeg. To be honest it seems as if youy have all been taken for a ride. My A&K Masada with systema gearbox *suitcases* all over this ares ab

Posted Images

I got my AWS Sentry on Saturday and have been in and out of the gearbox quite a bit over the past three days. Here's my impressions:

NOTE: Except for #1 below, I really didn't need to open the gearbox. It worked pretty well out of the box. As you'll see, how you choose to wire your MOSFET may mean you never have to open the mechbox. That's a nice feature of the Magpul - very easy to work on.

1. I was initially getting a very hot motor when single fire and full auto on both 100 and 120 springs. Adjusting the motor height seemed to have solved the problem. Seems a little weak compared to my KWA.
  2. Gears are OK. Not as well versed with high end gear sets so I can't comment, but they look as good as my KWA stock set. Did a little re-shimming and cleaning the stock goop there.
  3. The piston appears to be a single piston/piston head setup and might be the Angel brand I've seen on a few sites. Makes swapping piston heads difficult bot so far looks OK.
  4. My cylinder had a blemish on the inside. Nothing too bad but would have thought this would have been caught by QA. Won't go over the nozzle and cylinder head as it's been discussed a lot here.
  5. The trigger switch is interesting. Looks like it's rated to 15V so it should handle any battery you throw at it. If I think about it next time I open it up I'll snap a picture of the markings. maybe we can find replacements somewhere.
  6. The Trigger selector plate semi/full setup is interesting. I found it to be very finicky with respect to where semi starts and where full begins. Marking the outside of the gearbox and selector plate with a silver Sharpie helps with installing the gearbox back into the lower receiver.

Wiring the AWS Sentry took a little bit of thinking. The good news is the wiring is pretty straight forward though the AWS Sentry could have used another six inches or so of wire to the motor. Not sure if AWS will do this but worth asking if you place you order with them. They seem very helpful. In my case, I added a lead with deans connectors to the front of the gearbox and connected the AWS Sentry to that via the deans connector. It allows the Sentry to be tucked inside the hand guard easily. The signal wires go to two contacts for the micro switch that are exposed to the outside of the gearbox. I found it easier to route these and the positive and negative wires through some of the provides holes in the gearbox and route the wires to the front as before though I've seen where others route it to the outside of the box. The biggest challenge is to ensure the wires rout through the same channel on the left side of the lower receiver as before. Magpul did a nice job of shrink wrapping the motor leads and I may redo my setup to do the same as I left them all loose and exposed.

Did some tests yesterday and getting in the lower 400's with .20 and the 120 spring. Also running a 11.1V lipo. Haven't tried burst mode yet.

Has anyone else tried a 11.1 with a 120 spring and MOSFET? What type of FPS and ROF measurements are you getting?

I've had my Masada for a couple of months now but I think I must have a lemon.

First hop failed so I sent it back, I paid for a working gun I shouldn't have to fix it myself! Hop worked for a short while before breaking again.

Played with a friends Masada which shoots perfectly and even feels different when firing.

Disappointed with how mine has performed, would be the perfect gun if it was more reliable!

:(

I would say to keep me happy, it needed to be upgraded but after that.. sex. If you have the extra money to invest in some parts in it after you buy it, get it. If not, get a KWA.

I'll second that. I have a KWA and it's a nice weapon. If you want a modular platform that's super easy to work on then get the Masada. If you just want to pull it out of the box and start shooting, then get the KWA. I do like the Masada though. I'm setting it up to be my primary weapon and the KWA is my backup.

BTW, I've never heard of any brand that didn't have any significant issues by some folks. In the scheme of things and at the volumes we're talking about, some of these won't work right out of the box. Heck, even my KWA had poor motor connections that I had to fix myself. I know guys with Systema and Celsius that work on it more than I would expect for a $1400 airsoft rifle.

YMMV

EDIT:

I re-read my post and I think what I'm trying to say is buy the Magpul PTS ACR if you like it. Same with the KWA. You can't go wrong with either. Both will have some problems and both will perform well. Sorry if that didn't answer you're question. Let us know what you decided.

Edited by Nikon

It was my worry when I first decided I was going to save up for one (savings which I incidentally had to spend on my car and can not yet replace) that I was interested in buying an expensive doer upper.

So I made a point of speaking to people with them, especially people I had skirmished with in the past like SwatMP5man and went to my local airsoft shop to have a look and to speak to the shop owner who is also skirmishes the ACR (Dingo Dog)

Hey all I recently bought a DE magpul masada from dingodogs airsoft....but im having some problems with it. The hop does nothing, when full on or off the bbs go around 20 feet before dropping. Tried different bbs and also 0.25s as opposed to 0.2s to no avail. Is anyone else having hop up issues?

Hey all I recently bought a DE magpul masada from dingodogs airsoft....but im having some problems with it. The hop does nothing, when full on or off the bbs go around 20 feet before dropping. Tried different bbs and also 0.25s as opposed to 0.2s to no avail. Is anyone else having hop up issues?

Have you done anything with the hop other than try to adjust it? Plenty have had issues when incorrectly fitting aftermarket hop rubbers or damaging the hop unit if they have removed/replaced the qd barrel while the hop is wound on.

20 feet? That seems like a flawed gun more than crappy hop up (which it has) but you can try what I did, completely solved my problems and now half on it hops a .25g bb more than it needs. (PDI W Hold Bucking)

Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of lemon masadas showing up? I noticed that megalomaniac has had two now, and they both turned out to be faulty.

In particular there seems to be a problem with the micro switch. Is this extremely bad luck or are they just not very reliable?

The reason for asking is that i'm heavily considering purchasing one, but if i have a 50/50 chance of getting a faulty one this is a no go for me.

There haven't really been that many faulty ACR's, also the longer you wait past release the less likely it is that they'll be faulty. You have to realize that you're going to hear from everyone who has a problem, but the hundreds of people with fine guns don't post up saying their guns work perfectly. After using my ACR at a few games now my only complaint is that the hop-up doesn't give good grip, but after cutting a sliver off the end of my hop-up rubber and adding a strip to the top I get fantastic performance out of my hop-up.