Sign in to follow this  
Scuffer

MagPul PTS MASADA ACR

Received my UK-spec Masada last week, with 1 free Pmag kindly thrown in from Dingodogs.

"Microswitch/Trigger

The microswitch says it's rated for only 15A which is quite low, so it wouldn't last long if used with a high performance battery and motor combination without a mosfet. So while the microswitch is a nice idea, it's a half-baked one and something of a liability when upgrading. It doesn't provide much physical resistance, so you can't feel a nice, crisp click (although you can hear it). In fact, the design of the trigger is such that a trigger pull actually releases the switch, so installing a stronger microswitch wouldn't improve it. The trigger itself is let down hugely by the fire selector design becasue when reassembling the gun, it's very difficult to correctly align the selector gears with the lower receiver. This is a part which actually requires some 'tuning' to get right, which could have been so easily avoided with a better design. The trigger does seem to be very sensitive to slight fire-selector movement, bizzarely requiring a stronger trigger pull in certain positions. Definitely needs some learning to get right.

Motor

The motor doesn't use the strong neodymium magnets found in high performance motors, so this would be one of the first things to replace. The best motors can be bought for around $20, so it's a disappointment that the gun doesn't include one.

Anti-Reversal Latch

I had problems with the stock ARL. I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with it, as it didn't appear to be binding on anything, but there was audible backspin until I replaced it.

Gears

I reaplaced the stock gears immediately, so I can't comment on their performance or durability. It was disappointing to see that the bevel gear only has 4 ARL teeth."

I appreciate your review. I had some suspiscion about the micro switch as I have encountered a similar problem with my Tavor. My unit is going to the shop for upgrading tomorrow and I will be insisting on a mosfet.

Had the same experience with the folding stock. Minor filing of the stock to fit is required it but slots on solidly after that. Still, it's not something you should have to live with for a gun in this price range..

Same here - took about 20 minutes with a file to fix the problem but I was disappointed it didn't drop straight in.

Otherwise the build is good. Feels very solid, nothing wobbles, and the finish is excellent. I haven't had much chance to test it out but the couple of hundred rounds I put through it so far have fed perfectly and accuracy has been good.

Jason

PS. Thanks to everyone who has posted useful info on this thread. Once I've had a chance to use the gun in anger I'll add my thoughts as well.

Received my UK-spec Masada last week, with 1 free Pmag kindly thrown in from Dingodogs.

"Microswitch/Trigger

The microswitch says it's rated for only 15A which is quite low, so it wouldn't last long if used with a high performance battery and motor combination without a mosfet. So while the microswitch is a nice idea, it's a half-baked one and something of a liability when upgrading. It doesn't provide much physical resistance, so you can't feel a nice, crisp click (although you can hear it). In fact, the design of the trigger is such that a trigger pull actually releases the switch, so installing a stronger microswitch wouldn't improve it. The trigger itself is let down hugely by the fire selector design becasue when reassembling the gun, it's very difficult to correctly align the selector gears with the lower receiver. This is a part which actually requires some 'tuning' to get right, which could have been so easily avoided with a better design. The trigger does seem to be very sensitive to slight fire-selector movement, bizzarely requiring a stronger trigger pull in certain positions. Definitely needs some learning to get right.

Motor

The motor doesn't use the strong neodymium magnets found in high performance motors, so this would be one of the first things to replace. The best motors can be bought for around $20, so it's a disappointment that the gun doesn't include one.

Anti-Reversal Latch

I had problems with the stock ARL. I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with it, as it didn't appear to be binding on anything, but there was audible backspin until I replaced it.

Gears

I reaplaced the stock gears immediately, so I can't comment on their performance or durability. It was disappointing to see that the bevel gear only has 4 ARL teeth."

I appraciate the review. I suspected that the micro switch might present a problem during upgrading, having encountered a similar problem with my Ares CTAR-21 Tavor. My ACR is due for upgrading this week and I will be insisting on a MOSFET to avoid prematurely frying the micro switch. However, could you tell me what cylinder head type my ACR has? Is it a version 2 or 3 cylinder head? Also, in an attempt to prevent gearbox stress fractures from forming due to the weak points presented by the twin hex screws located in the mag well, I have decided to install a PDI 190 spring coupled with a systema silent type piston head and a sorbo pad. Do you think these will be enough to prevent gearbox failure? Your input on the matter will be highly appreciated.

Edited by warspite

One of thing i can't get my head round is RoHS, is this gun RoHS compliant , it just seems that no one in any of the shops will answer this. I believe if it is then well in, if not it seems that some people will be selling cheap Jap ###### that will fall apart.

• Like 1

The UK Spec versions currently being sold by Dingodogs Airsoft are RoHS compliant, thus the extra wait for them. Other retailers have imported foreign versions which have been manufactured differently and are not RoHS compliant. At this time i believe only Dingo has the UK spec RoHS compliant ones in stock.

The UK Spec versions currently being sold by Dingodogs Airsoft are RoHS compliant, thus the extra wait for them. Other retailers have imported foreign versions which have been manufactured differently and are not RoHS compliant. At this time i believe only Dingo has the UK spec RoHS compliant ones in stock.

How come then UKARA retailers are selling equipment thats not up to UK spec and are allowed to do so, some of these retailers formed UKARA and sell stuff thats clearly not RoHS compliant (which on the UKARA website they clearly speak about RoHS), shocking , especially when they don't give a dam about selling ASIAN guns that will fall apart / break, clearly ripping of the good people that spend good money, well done DINGODOGS for selling compliant equipment all i can say bout other retailers is i hope ur day of justice will arrive

• Like 1

Mightiestar...

are you an idiot and a racists, or just a troll?

The guns aren't Japanese made, they are made by Magpul Hong Kong.

Japanese guns are usually of a very good quality, but I don't want to over generalize.

Jap is very derogatory and don't think it should be tolerated on the forums.

Edited by dstole

I am not an idiot, a racists or indeed a troll, i merely shortened the word Japenese to Jap, as people shorten the word British to Brit. I'm not being derogatory so you'll just have to tollerate what you read,, SO THEN,, The thing in question are the guns from Hong Kong or wherever for that matter RoHS compliant ???? !!! i think not,,, so then will UKARA retailers start selling RoHS compliant equipment,,

• Like 1

@ Mightiestar

Fair enough. Glad you aren't on here just to make everyone's blood boil :) My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

Just FYI, and to help keep PC folks like me off your back (:P), since the end of WW2 the common abbreviation for Japan is JPN or JP (for web related content).

I hope more retailers will start bringing in the compliant MAGPULs soon.

Is there a penalty for selling or buying non RoHS?

@ Mightiestar

Fair enough. Glad you aren't on here just to make everyone's blood boil smile.gif My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

Just FYI, and to help keep PC folks like me off your back (tongue.gif), since the end of WW2 the common abbreviation for Japan is JPN or JP (for web related content).

I hope more retailers will start bringing in the compliant MAGPULs soon.

Is there a penalty for selling or buying non RoHS?

i do beleive that RoHS can prevent dodgy equipment from being sold in the UK market, they have powers to do this without taking people to court, many thanks for you pointing out the correct way of abbreviating Japenese to JPN

RoHS compliance has basically nothing much to do with the overall quality of an AEG, all it does is set out certain H&S related rules about which kinds of materials can be used in the construction of certain products; things like not using paints containing large amounts of potentially harmful elements and/or compounds, lead for exmaple. I've got a couple of AEG rifles and GBB pistols that are nearly 5 years old and quite likely don't comply with that particular set of rules, but they're still perfectly good airsoft guns which work well.

End of the day, looking at airsoft in a broader perspective, it's a pretty small issue and I'm not sure why you've got such a big interest in retailers sticking to it, the differences between the different international specifications of the ACRs PTS are producing are pretty small. If someone were to switch your UK spec rifle with an Asia spec one while you weren't looking, realistically you wouldn't notice the difference, other than maybe it'd shoot a little bit further.

I appraciate the review. I suspected that the micro switch might present a problem during upgrading, having encountered a similar problem with my Ares CTAR-21 Tavor. My ACR is due for upgrading this week and I will be insisting on a MOSFET to avoid prematurely frying the micro switch. However, could you tell me what cylinder head type my ACR has? Is it a version 2 or 3 cylinder head? Also, in an attempt to prevent gearbox stress fractures from forming due to the weak points presented by the twin hex screws located in the mag well, I have decided to install a PDI 190 spring coupled with a systema silent type piston head and a sorbo pad. Do you think these will be enough to prevent gearbox failure? Your input on the matter will be highly appreciated.

What problem have you encountered with your Tavor?

The cylinder head is unfortunately also proprietary, which I forgot to mention in my review. This is due to the length of the cylinder head nozzle. Luckily it's not a part which needs upgrading, as a perfect airseal can be acheived by wrapping some PTFE (Teflon) sealing tape around the cylinder head.

The Systema silent piston head is a bad choice, so I would discourage you from buying it if you haven't done so already. It is not supposed to be used with normal cylinder heads due to the shape. It's too heavy (heavy piston assemblies are to be avoided), and lastly it's overpriced like 99% of Systema's product range.

As far as I'm aware, it's very difficult to crack a gearbox unless you're unlucky and recieve one with a manafacturing defect, or you are running a very high power setup (for which careful tuning is crucial). The PDI 190 is a relatively weak spring so you will probably not crack your gearbox with it, but other parts may fail. I don't know what other parts you plan to upgrade, but I doubt the Masada could pull that spring at a decent rate of fire, or last long before something breaks. I wouldn't expect the magwell screw holes in the Masada gearbox to affect its durability at all, as they are well away from the cylinder window (the part which cracks when a gearbox does start to fail). But I'm far from the best person to comment on the durability of gearboxes. Head over to the forums at AirsoftMechanics.com and run some searches on gearbox durability (and look for info on a decent piston head too). All the information you need on airsoft is already on that forum. You don't even need to start a new topic. The Masada gearbox is similar enough to the V2 gearbox that information you find on the V2 will largely apply to the Masada gearbox in terms of design. As for durability I don't think anyone has done actual tests, and I don't think you'd be able to persuade anyone to run tests, as the only way to get a new shell would be to buy a new Masada. There are a few steps you can take to minimise stress to the gearbox shell, but without any scientifically obtained data on the durability of the shell, you'll have to just do your best and see how it goes.

RoHS compliance has basically nothing much to do with the overall quality of an AEG, all it does is set out certain H&S related rules about which kinds of materials can be used in the construction of certain products; things like not using paints containing large amounts of potentially harmful elements and/or compounds, lead for exmaple. I've got a couple of AEG rifles and GBB pistols that are nearly 5 years old and quite likely don't comply with that particular set of rules, but they're still perfectly good airsoft guns which work well.

End of the day, looking at airsoft in a broader perspective, it's a pretty small issue and I'm not sure why you've got such a big interest in retailers sticking to it, the differences between the different international specifications of the ACRs PTS are producing are pretty small. If someone were to switch your UK spec rifle with an Asia spec one while you weren't looking, realistically you wouldn't notice the difference, other than maybe it'd shoot a little bit further.

Ok then, so you buy a gun that's not RoHS compliant, it's full of HARMFUL componants and made cheaply, some will work well, some will give of harmful fumes and will fall apart as soon as look at it. RoHS is not a small issue (it's everyones business to comply) it's there to protect the end user, think of dodgy girls dolls that speak when a buttons pressed, because they're cheap imported ###### from the far east, will it catch fire burn your house down or even kill your child. Extreme yes but that's what RoSH is for to protect the guy from buying harmful potentially dangerous equipment, too many retailers are importing non RoHS compliant bits of kit, everyone wants to able buy kit at a reasonable cost, but at what cost are you really buying something for.

I am not an idiot, a racists or indeed a troll, i merely shortened the word Japenese to Jap, as people shorten the word British to Brit. I'm not being derogatory so you'll just have to tollerate what you read,, SO THEN,, The thing in question are the guns from Hong Kong or wherever for that matter RoHS compliant ???? !!! i think not,,, so then will UKARA retailers start selling RoHS compliant equipment,,

I'm pretty sure all the guns are made in the same place, just a few alterations to the UK spec models.

I think it's just better wiring, different paint, a less powerful spring and an extra bit of plastic screwed onto the hand guard to hold the retainer pin.

All good things of course but it hardly makes it a completely different gun.

I highly doubt most guns are ROHS compliant, seems Magpul went a step further than most manufacturers in this department?

(I'm only saying this as I've never seen or heard of another gun being advertised as fully ROHS compliant)

• Like 2

Ok then, so you buy a gun that's not RoHS compliant, it's full of HARMFUL componants and made cheaply, some will work well, some will give of harmful fumes and will fall apart as soon as look at it.

Yeah, it's a known fact, only in the UK can you get AEGs that won't blow up in your hands, the rest of the world is still at the Medieval Ages trying to make reliable AEGs with stones and strings. Thanks God UK made the RoHS standard so the rest of the world can try making their own, reliable, AEGs.

PS: my computer is catching fire as I write since it was made in Japan.

/sarcasm off (nothing against UK, but mightiestar is obviously a serious troll or has a serious case of head up his but*, and since RoHS is UK only, I had to mention it)

Edited by Ycare
  • Like 3

What problem have you encountered with your Tavor?

The cylinder head is unfortunately also proprietary, which I forgot to mention in my review. This is due to the length of the cylinder head nozzle. Luckily it's not a part which needs upgrading, as a perfect airseal can be acheived by wrapping some PTFE (Teflon) sealing tape around the cylinder head.

The Systema silent piston head is a bad choice, so I would discourage you from buying it if you haven't done so already. It is not supposed to be used with normal cylinder heads due to the shape. It's too heavy (heavy piston assemblies are to be avoided), and lastly it's overpriced like 99% of Systema's product range.

As far as I'm aware, it's very difficult to crack a gearbox unless you're unlucky and recieve one with a manafacturing defect, or you are running a very high power setup (for which careful tuning is crucial). The PDI 190 is a relatively weak spring so you will probably not crack your gearbox with it, but other parts may fail. I don't know what other parts you plan to upgrade, but I doubt the Masada could pull that spring at a decent rate of fire, or last long before something breaks. I wouldn't expect the magwell screw holes in the Masada gearbox to affect its durability at all, as they are well away from the cylinder window (the part which cracks when a gearbox does start to fail). But I'm far from the best person to comment on the durability of gearboxes. Head over to the forums at AirsoftMechanics.com and run some searches on gearbox durability (and look for info on a decent piston head too). All the information you need on airsoft is already on that forum. You don't even need to start a new topic. The Masada gearbox is similar enough to the V2 gearbox that information you find on the V2 will largely apply to the Masada gearbox in terms of design. As for durability I don't think anyone has done actual tests, and I don't think you'd be able to persuade anyone to run tests, as the only way to get a new shell would be to buy a new Masada. There are a few steps you can take to minimise stress to the gearbox shell, but without any scientifically obtained data on the durability of the shell, you'll have to just do your best and see how it goes.

Re: the Tavor, my team mates and I made the mistake of upgrading our units without checking the specs for its micro switch. After a few games using an 11.1v 1450 mAh 15C li-poly battery coupled to a Classic Army Extreme motor, my rifle gave out. Had my air smith replace the switch with a higher capacity one. Unfortunately, it took two months to finally iron out all issues.

As of today, I am still locked in a debate with my new air smith (actually the only one with upgrading experience with the Magpul Masada so far), with me insisting on a Mosfet, and the air smith claiming that he can rectify the switch problem by installing a thicker copper plate (to which I argued that a micro switch being electronic, the effort will basically make no difference).

Re: The Systema Silent Type Piston Head, I will take your advice and avoid it.

As for the ACR's gearbox, my over cautious approach is largely due to the fact that Philippine Shops are notorious for failing to provide proprietary spare parts for unique AEGs, forcing most to order from Red Wolf HK or direct from the manufacturer, which takes almost forever. I also took note of your assessment of the ACR's anti-reverse latch and have purchased a Guarder unit to replace it with.

For gears, I have opted for the Systema Helical STU ratio gears. My motor choice is Systema's Magnum motor (Both I have purchased earlier as possible spares).

As for the PDI, it is not my first choice, but i thought it prudent to stick to a safer alternative.

I appreciate your input and advice, and hopefully, all will be well with my Masada in a week.

Edited by warspite
  • Like 1

Ok then, so you buy a gun that's not RoHS compliant, it's full of HARMFUL componants and made cheaply, some will work well, some will give of harmful fumes and will fall apart as soon as look at it. RoHS is not a small issue (it's everyones business to comply) it's there to protect the end user, think of dodgy girls dolls that speak when a buttons pressed, because they're cheap imported ###### from the far east, will it catch fire burn your house down or even kill your child. Extreme yes but that's what RoSH is for to protect the guy from buying harmful potentially dangerous equipment, too many retailers are importing non RoHS compliant bits of kit, everyone wants to able buy kit at a reasonable cost, but at what cost are you really buying something for.

Did you choose to ignore half of my post as well as others when you continued to spout this utter rubbish? The vast majority (we're talking probably well over 95% here) of airsoft weapons, parts and equipment that are currently available to purchase, be it from UK or foreign retailers, do not specifically comply with this particular rule set. Therefore, by extension there are thousands upon thousands of airsofters out there who are currently using all this 'oh so dangerous and low quality' kit, who are all totally lead-poisoning free and not having their AEGs blow up in their face just because they don't comply with these rules. You've got no actual facts to back up what you're saying, and it doesn't half show.

You know how many threads come up here if you search for "rohs"? Two. I've been looking through them along with various linked material and I'm yet to find a single shred of a hint of someone saying "I decided to lick my DBoys M4 for breakfast every day and now I've got heavy metal poisoning". I work with cadmium plated kit all day every day, along with about a hundred other chemicals and other nasty stuff that stays in your body and has carcinogenic properties, yet somehow I'm just fine and cancer free, and so is every one of my colleagues. If you're stupid enough to buy a very cheap Chinese gun, and then decide to sand off all the paint in a confined space without any sort of dust mask and go out of your way to breathe all the particles in, then maybe there might be an issue, but it's still a fairly slim chance and would be entirely your own fault for being so idiotic. You strike me as the sort of person that advocates fast-food restaurants putting the huge, red "this scalding hot coffee is hot and might scald you" warnings on their beverages.

Looking at the ACR specifically, would you care to point me to all the reports in this thread of the horrific, ticking-time-bomb non-UK spec rifles that have caused all manner of terrible injury? Far as I know, none of my airsoft armoury is RoHS compliant, and I've got in the rough region of ~£5k worth of weaponry that I've spent dozens of hours using and put 10s of thousands of BBs through, many of them being cheap chinese guns, and I've not had even a hint of a malfunction from any of them; and I'm far from alone in this respect, something that most experienced airsoft players are aware of. Does it make more sense to buy the UK specification ACR in this country? Yes, because it's a more suitable muzzle velocity and the handguard has the extra reinforced part to lessen any wobble issues. But worrying about the kind of solder used on the wiring harness, that many people will likely never see, and the type of paint on the upper receive,r that you're hardly ever going to touch; that's just ridiculous.

Somewhat think we've come to the end of the RoHS arguement now.

It was never a 'this masada, is 10000%s better as it's UK spec' arguement, more a justification to them being later to arrive in the UK than elsewhere, to prove that the import standards in the UK are tightening and companies are working with RoHS to improve standards, and also to prove that there where some slight differences between the models.

That said, PTS worked to 'improve' the above mentioned elements to suit UK law, as a knock on all models produced may include these features.

• Like 2

Somewhat think we've come to the end of the RoHS arguement now.

It was never a 'this masada, is 10000%s better as it's UK spec' arguement, more a justification to them being later to arrive in the UK than elsewhere, to prove that the import standards in the UK are tightening and companies are working with RoHS to improve standards, and also to prove that there where some slight differences between the models.

That said, PTS worked to 'improve' the above mentioned elements to suit UK law, as a knock on all models produced may include these features.

Couldn't agree more; where any idea that the UK version is infinitely superior ever came from I've no idea, just wanted to sure no mis-information gets spread.

Re: the Tavor, my team mates and I made the mistake of upgrading our units without checking the specs for its micro switch. After a few games using an 11.1v 1450 mAh 15C li-poly battery coupled to a Classic Army Extreme motor, my rifle gave out. Had my air smith replace the switch with a higher capacity one. Unfortunately, it took two months to finally iron out all issues.

As of today, I am still locked in a debate with my new air smith (actually the only one with upgrading experience with the Magpul Masada so far), with me insisting on a Mosfet, and the air smith claiming that he can rectify the switch problem by installing a thicker copper plate (to which I argued that a micro switch being electronic, the effort will basically make no difference).

Re: The Systema Silent Type Piston Head, I will take your advice and avoid it.

As for the ACR's gearbox, my over cautious approach is largely due to the fact that Philippine Shops are notorious for failing to provide proprietary spare parts for unique AEGs, forcing most to order from Red Wolf HK or direct from the manufacturer, which takes almost forever. I also took note of your assessment of the ACR's anti-reverse latch and have purchased a Guarder unit to replace it with.

For gears, I have opted for the Systema Helical STU ratio gears. My motor choice is Systema's Magnum motor (Both I have purchased earlier as possible spares).

As for the PDI, it is not my first choice, but i thought it prudent to stick to a safer alternative.

I appreciate your input and advice, and hopefully, all will be well with my Masada in a week.

It's unfortunate that your Tavor microswitch caused such problems, but it's very useful for Masada owners to know about! The microswitch is actually mechanical, and not electronic. If your gunsmith can modify the switch with thicker metal, it will decrease resistance thereby increasing the current it can handle. It does seem like an unnecessary modification however, considering that a MOSFET would bypass the microswitch completely while providing other benefits. I'd be suspicious of a gunsmith who felt he didn't have the skill to install a MOSFET in the Masada. While it's more complicated than some guns, it's easily possible as the handguard area is very spacious for extra electronics etc. I have a SW-AB LONG from Extreme Fire, with some extra electronics I've added to power my internal LED tracer unit.

Systema gears are notoriously weak, so I would avoid them. When they fail they can take other parts with them due to loose pieces of metal getting caught between other moving parts. Again, there's more info on this at AirsoftMechanics.com. I would recommend forking out the money for a set of Siegetek gears, but people have had good results from the cheap SHS/5KU/Element gears (all the same product, rebranded).

I don't know what your target FPS is, but I'm not knowledgable enough to say what power level might damage the gearbox structurally. You may well be able to go higher than a PDI 190% spring, but you will have to check ASM (linked above), research it, then make an educated guess based on information on V2 gearboxes (or even better ARES V2 gearboxes). You should also be aware that you can gain higher FPS simply by improving the airseal, so that should be your first goal if you want to use a slightly weaker spring. Teflon tape around the cylinder head, and around the hopup bucking will prevent airleaks at those points. Unfortunately the proprietary air nozzle has no O-ring inside it, presenting an airleak with no easy solution. You might be able to modify an airseal nozzle designed for a different gun to work in the Masada, such as this one after tapering the end to actually fit inside the bucking. Also I found the stock O-ring to cause too much friction inside the cylinder. I replaced mine with a stock TM O-ring with great results.

Let me know how your upgrade progresses.

• Like 1