Sign in to follow this  
Scuffer

MagPul PTS MASADA ACR

I've got the Tan magpul ACR. Like many other users wanting the RIS hand guard.

I've been told by a retailer that the official magpul RIS will only come in Black? Mmm not happy if this is true.

If the Folding stock is in different colours, mags. Etc than why not? Will the AK lower only be in black? Upsetting if it's true.

I've got the Tan magpul ACR. Like many other users wanting the RIS hand guard.

I've been told by a retailer that the official magpul RIS will only come in Black? Mmm not happy if this is true.

If the Folding stock is in different colours, mags. Etc than why not? Will the AK lower only be in black? Upsetting if it's true.

The retailer who told you that is in error. I have a pre-production Magpul PTS FDE RIS in my possession. The RIS will come in all the colors the PTS ACR is currently available in (Black, FDE, FG).

That's interesting. I thought the handguard was a bit chunky compared to an typical M4. Does anyone know if the same is true for the RIS handguard as well?

I believe the RIS should be very similar in dimensions as the RS one as there's plenty of room in there to fit a battery, whereas PTS most likely made their polymer handguard thicker in order to accomodate a decent sized battery. The RS polymer handguard barely fits lipos even after removing the heat shield.

There's also the fact that PTS have consciously altered the non-external dimensions on various parts to ensure the RS ACR parts aren't a drop in replacement. While it may be frustrating for those with access to RS ACR parts that they want to put on their PTS ACR, it is a requirement placed on PTS products. Noveske, I look forward to seeing your ACR modifications to look like the more contemporary ACRs.

Or so cheap rs shooters don't try and slap pts products on their guns

That wouldn't work. Most PTS and RS Magpul products cost about the same.

However, RS Magpul can't be exported. My guess is that PTS products vary slightly from RS Magpul products to further prevent people in countries besides the US from using Magpul parts on their RS rifles. I could definitely be wrong, though.

I'd (like to) think it's got more to do with the law than with $$.

RS Magpul can't be exported. My guess is that PTS products vary slightly from RS Magpul products to further prevent people in countries besides the US from using Magpul parts on their RS rifles.

Pretty much the above. Respecting ITAR is important to both Magpul Industries and Magpul PTS. Furthermore, PTS products are not rated nor are they tested to work on RS products. To further guarantee that PTS products are not used for an application other than what they were designed for, they are modified to be incompatible with RS products.

The retailer who told you that is in error. I have a pre-production Magpul PTS FDE RIS in my possession. The RIS will come in all the colors the PTS ACR is currently available in (Black, FDE, FG).

Awesome, do you have a pic to show us all.

Any thoughts on this sort of config? Not sure whether to go full FDE or not.

dscf2472.th.jpg

Yeah, get a black upper receiver and cheekrest, leave the rest FDE and that'll dual-tone look will look awesome!

Am I the last to find out that there's going to be two shorter barrles. 11.5 & 10.5...lol. by looking at some pics of the 10.5, i dont know how you could get a different flashider to fit. and forget about suppressors for that configuration...womp womp :(

Am I the last to find out that there's going to be two shorter barrles. 11.5 & 10.5...lol. by looking at some pics of the 10.5, i dont know how you could get a different flashider to fit. and forget about suppressors for that configuration...womp womp :(

I haven't heard anything about a 10.5" barrel from PTS, but I know there's going to be the 11.5". If they were to make a 10.5" barrel, I believe the gas block will have to be pushed back further in a similar position as the M4 carbines and only the RIS could be used. I believe the 11.5" barrels are designed to be used with the polymer handguard.

All those pics are of the proposed 11.5" AK barrel. I haven't seen the 10.5" anywhere.

I haven't heard anything about a 10.5" barrel from PTS, but I know there's going to be the 11.5". If they were to make a 10.5" barrel, I believe the gas block will have to be pushed back further in a similar position as the M4 carbines and only the RIS could be used. I believe the 11.5" barrels are designed to be used with the polymer handguard.

He is right. I read through the Masada PDF and found this:

Any AR/M16 barrel over 11.5 inches can be used. (10.5 can be used with optional

railed handguard).

Ah okay so basically you can't use a suppressor then on the 10.5. But does that mean you're limited to what FH you can use? With the gas tube in the way, you couldn't even fit the aac blackout FH on it. Lame.. oh well, what's one inch...lol.11.5 it is

Was at a game today where 4 ACRs were in play. By the end of the day 3 were broken. A friend of mine also has another one, and it is acting up. Another friend had to send his back for replacement. Of the 7 ACRs that I have seen in use, 5 of them have had issues :( One of them has been heavily modded, but the others have not, except for downgraded springs. Issues include hop-up problems, locking mech boxes, malfunctioning stock pins, and wobbling front end.

i am sure some of the owners will be along to offer details. I am almost afraid to use mine at this point :P

I don't like to read about anyone's "axe" failing on them. Magpul builds nice stuff, but this is not real steal. Just the another sowing machine we all have used. Magpul on the side of an AEG doesn't mean indestructible. I'd be interested to read the conditions in which they were used; What were the use details, battery voltage, extended trigger hold, lots of semi auto fire. Plus I know some of you guys will disagree but to me this is a beta of sorts. Remember when the first KWA M-4's came out and they were hailed as the end all be all in affordable AEG M4's only to be improved and again given the same accolades. Then improved again to the current Gen that many consider a better product than those past generation series. I remember when I got a second Gen KWA only to have a problem fixed product roll out the very next year. I really like this AEG and can appreciate the R&D behind it. This still leads me back to the point, It's a first year model. I've been a mechanic for over 14 years and if you ask any car guy what he thinks of first year models, he'll tell you to hold your praise till all the votes are in.

I'd like an ACR by Magpul but this AEG has a lot of nice features that need a bit more tweaking by company on their dime, before I'm giving Magpul a few hundred bucks.

Edited by Special K

Used mine today, all day, in snow and temperatures between +3C & -2C and it performed admirably with no issue at all. It is a UK spec model but as has been previously discussed this shouldn't make too much difference. It took a bit of a battering to be honest as I was slipping & sliding all over the place. Actually the only issue I have is with fixing the folding stock. Sorry if it's been discussed before but the top pin is different from the bottom (which pushes out with the dummy round) and I haven't an Allen key to fit. I'll work it out but a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.