MagPul PTS MASADA ACR

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yours definitely had wobble. And it has since been fixed. Who else's has been confirmed to have wobble? Because out of the 3000 units sold so far, yours is the only one that I'm aware of that has been

I like how me pointing out the obvious in my last post has garnered a negative rep. LOL. Haters gonna hate.

I Lol'd at all the fanboys who had to have this must have aeg. To be honest it seems as if youy have all been taken for a ride. My A&K Masada with systema gearbox *suitcases* all over this ares ab

Posted Images

Wow, a -1 for liking a guys post, try and compliment him on making a search sound much more epic than it is, and this is what I get.

Anyways, anyone confirmed that AUG Cylinder Heads work for this gun? And I couldn't find any information on the piston I asked about during my search.

Edited by Scav

I think AUG version is better for the ACR, because it has longer cylinder heads nozzle.

Agreed. I'd use the AUG.

The cylinder head nozzle is about 3mm shorter than the stock cylinder head nozzle but works well. Combined with a sealed nozzle part the compression is very tight on the cylinder/piston/nozzle assembly.

I bought a AUG tune up kit from Modify (http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=2262). The best part about this kit is everything except the AUG nozzle is usable in the ACR. The piston works fine with AOE set. I even glued a sorbo pad onto the cylinder head and the thing is incredibly quiet. Still doing some work on other parts of the ACR but will have some pics up shortly.

• Like 1

OK, so I spent some time this past weekend working on adding the Modify AUG cylinder upgrade set to the Masada.

Here's the kit at Airsoft GI for $50 USD: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=2262

and the package that I received (at this point I already opened the package):

D300-20110607-2172.jpg

As you can see here, the new Modify version has a cylinder head stem that is about 3mm shorter than the stock Magpul version. It's OK, it works. The nozzle never travels far enough on the cylinder head stem to become a problem.

You can also see here the stock piston with the new Modify piston head and spring bearing. More on that later.

Also notice that I've installed a sorbo pad on the new cylinder head requiring some work on AOE.

Finally, I'm using a sealed nozzle from Airsoft Pro (www.airsoftpro.cz - email is info@airsoftpro.cz). This was about $14 shipped to the USA and took about 2-3 weeks to the east coast. NOTE: Their website mislabels the product but this is a match for the Magpul PTS Masada.

D300-20110607-2171.jpg

As I mentioned above, I started out using the new piston head and bearing spring guide in the stock piston. I had been using it since the beginning even though I swapped out the stock piston head and the odd weight/spacer thingy.

The Modify piston head is an excellent polycarb design. I was impressed and as you'll see later provided great compression.

D300-20110607-2170.jpg

Regarding the piston, I've read a lot on this thread about pistons that do not work. I measured the stock piston and it comes in at 66.39mm.

The Modify piston head was a great match coming in at roughly .01-.02mm difference.

Here's a comparison photo. The Modify is a nice, light piston with all polycarb teeth except for the last. You'll see here I've removed the first two teeth of the stock piston to align AOE.

D300-20110607-2173.jpg

Here's the full cylinder head in the mech box prior to assembly. NOTE I'm also using the Modify kit cylinder.

D300-20110607-2178.jpg

Due to a rookie mistake (I forgot to put a touch of Loctite on the spring guide screw to the piston head) I damaged the stock piston a bit and decided to not take any chances. I swapped the stock piston for the Modify piston.

Here's the new cylinder assembly with the Modify piston. Again note the last two teeth removed for AOE. No binding at all on this one compared to a bit on the stock piston.

D300-20110607-2185.jpg

Here's a tip that I learned from a team member at SOG Airsoft (www.sogairsoft.org). If you want to test the compression of a cylinder assembly that is as close to real life as possible, configure your assembly as shown:

D300-20110607-2183.jpg

Note how the nozzle is at the approximate location of where it will be when the piston moves forward inside the cylinder. By putting your finger on the end of the nozzle and pushing in the piston, you'll know exactly if there are any air leaks.

This set up was flawless with absolutely no leak that I could find.

So at this point, I now have used every piece of the Modify upgrade kite EXCEPT for the AUG nozzle. WAY better than I had expected.

I also installed a Guarder Infinite Torque Up motor and will be breaking it in over the next few weeks. More to come on that.

The good news here folks is:

1. We have an after market cylinder head for our Masadas.

2. We have an after market nozzle for our Masadas.

3. I was able to validate yet another piston that works. I suspect there are more but others will have to confirm.

4. One of the main reasons for buying the Masada was it's ease of access to the internals for upgrading. This again was validated with this project.

So as of now, the only thing that I believe is proprietary is the mech box shell and part of the trigger assembly which includes the semi selector plate on the inside of the mech box. I'm sure someone will begin manufacturing these as well or Magpul PTS will make them available soon.

It's late and I'm tired. Gotta go to bed. Sorry for the long post guys and gals and please forgive any typos and mistakes. Hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by Nikon
  • Like 2

Very nice Nikon!

I'm also using a cylinder head by Modify, but mine is GB-04-02 Aluminum Cylinder Head for Classic Army AUG/G36C ... I think.

Seems to work well also.

Btw, I have used mainly Modify parts for couple of years and they have very good quality. Only problem is there's no good retailer in Europe.

Very nice Nikon!

I'm also using a cylinder head by Modify, but mine is GB-04-02 Aluminum Cylinder Head for Classic Army AUG/G36C ... I think.

Seems to work well also.

Btw, I have used mainly Modify parts for couple of years and they have very good quality. Only problem is there's no good retailer in Europe.

http://www.airsoftworld.net/

They have a bunch of Modify parts.

Dammiiiiiit lol now I am going to buy this modify set, guys think replacing the cylinder as well as the piston head would be a good idea? (i am using the stock cylinder and a Prommy POM piston head)

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I replaced the parts I did for a reason. My compression was bad hence the new nozzle, the inside of the stock cylinder had been scored, and the piston head that I had swapped in during my first mod was sub par. I'd be using the stock piston right now if I hadn't pulled a rookie (see my post above). If your Masada is working for you, then by all means get out there and play.

Maybe buy the Modify set when you're ready to do your next round of maintenance. Then again, if you really want to replace something, just buy the AUG cylinder head.

Edited by Nikon

Thank you VERY much, Nikon. That was amazing, I've got extremely bad compression, so I'm going to pick up that modify kit next time I have a spare 50 dollars.

I talked to Magpul PTS on the phone, and they told me to get in contact with a dealer to facilitating buying proprietary parts...?

Edited by Scav

Thank you VERY much, Nikon. That was amazing, I've got extremely bad compression, so I'm going to pick up that modify kit next time I have a spare 50 dollars.

I talked to Magpul PTS on the phone, and they told me to get in contact with a dealer to facilitating buying proprietary parts...?

Scav, no problem. I sometimes forget to document exactly what I'm doing when I putz with this stuff and thought this one would be worth the effort.

Regarding the spare parts, did Magpul PTS mean an ASGI online retailer or more of a distributor like Spartan?

• Like 1

Nikon, right now I am using a stock ACR with a 110 spring, shooting 385fps with 0.2s. I want to use a Lipo, but I am not sure the stock internals can take it. Are you running a Lipo with your current setup (using the Modify AUG kit)? What other parts did you upgrade?

My target is to shoot close to 400fps with .25's and 25 ROF (I guess that translates into probably using a 130 spring and an 11.1V Lipo).

Additionally, can anyone confirm the diameter of the inner barrel? I measure 6.05 in mine, with a length of 381mm. Is it worth upgrading? If so, what are folks out there using? There's a PDI 6.01 375mm barrel (which is pricey since it is SS) or the Raven PDI with same diameter and length that is aluminum, anyone using one of those?

Thanks for the help!