MagPul PTS MASADA ACR

I'm waiting for the ACR to hit American markets before I look at buying one, but from looking at the pictures online I don't really see the advantage (aside from the range of parts) that the PTS model has. I'm actually very happy with the A&K offering as-is in terms of ergonomics and accessories and I'm not sure that it's worth $350 more than what I paid (after shipping applied) for the same replica with the same features (minus the quick change spring, which I'm not a fan of). Add in the ARES internals, and I'm very very leery. I can't offer more opinion without holding it in my hands side by side.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yours definitely had wobble. And it has since been fixed. Who else's has been confirmed to have wobble? Because out of the 3000 units sold so far, yours is the only one that I'm aware of that has been

I like how me pointing out the obvious in my last post has garnered a negative rep. LOL. Haters gonna hate.

I Lol'd at all the fanboys who had to have this must have aeg. To be honest it seems as if youy have all been taken for a ride. My A&K Masada with systema gearbox *suitcases* all over this ares ab

Posted Images

Err I don't get the logic here, M16 variants are already pretty much just undo some pins and swap, this isn't that big of a change, especially in the aftermarket part department as most of the aftermarket parts come from those same companies that make the rifles (it's actually cheaper to buy a "pre" made M16 to your taste, than build one from parts). Making 20 different m16 variants never made sense in the first place, I fail to see how this would be changing any of the current manufacturing schemes.

They are not marketed as modular platforms... they are marketed as discrete guns... and if you ever try to buy a part its very hit or miss.. stocking is terrible.. thats why so much aftermarket is sold.

My point was them being marketed as modular platforms... as opposed to selling 25 different SKUs of the same gun in different configs.

Anyhow thats kind of offroading from the topic... I play 3 times a week at our building so i will keep you guys updated on how it performs.

Edited by WarriorSoul

I'm not sure that it's worth $350 more than what I paid (after shipping applied) for the same replica with the same features (minus the quick change spring, which I'm not a fan of).

Keep in mind that that price point only applies if you buy direct from HK. The US stores will be retailing at only $30 over the HK stores, and most of the big US retailers like AirsoftGI and AirsoftExtreme have free shipping coupons. So it'd be more like $250 rather than $350 in difference.

Well, I paid $180 shipped for my A&K. Figure that the PTS is listed for $480 at AirsoftGI, that's still $300 on the dot. I guess I'd like trademarks, but I haven't missed them yet, and while it would be nice to have a spring-up front sight, I don't flip it up and down a lot - it's either up, or down, and not a constant switch. Worst comes to worst I can always grab an ARES gearbox shell and have the quick change function with my own proven internals for maybe $100 more, which still puts me shy of the price point.

I think for those of us who already have an existing Masada, it's not worth the cash. That said, I'm very curious as to the cross-compatibility of some parts as the pictures make certain sub-assemblies look near identical in construction.

I'm waiting for the ACR to hit American markets before I look at buying one, but from looking at the pictures online I don't really see the advantage (aside from the range of parts) that the PTS model has. I'm actually very happy with the A&K offering as-is in terms of ergonomics and accessories and I'm not sure that it's worth $350 more than what I paid (after shipping applied) for the same replica with the same features (minus the quick change spring, which I'm not a fan of). Add in the ARES internals, and I'm very very leery. I can't offer more opinion without holding it in my hands side by side.

Well, the A&K is a Masada, and those who wanted a true ACR will prefer this. The Magpul PTS external quality will definitely be much better than the A&K, with the Dupont Polymer and CNC upper.

Well, I paid $180 shipped for my A&K. Figure that the PTS is listed for $480 at AirsoftGI, that's still $300 on the dot. I guess I'd like trademarks, but I haven't missed them yet, and while it would be nice to have a spring-up front sight, I don't flip it up and down a lot - it's either up, or down, and not a constant switch. Worst comes to worst I can always grab an ARES gearbox shell and have the quick change function with my own proven internals for maybe $100 more, which still puts me shy of the price point.

The two guns are definitely priced for two very different markets. One for the budget minded, the other for those who want a little more. In the end, it's the responsibility of the consumer to determine if the additional features are worth the added expense. If you're happy with the A&K, I can certainly understand not feeling the need to spend more when your content with what you got. It makes sense.

I think for those of us who already have an existing Masada, it's not worth the cash. That said, I'm very curious as to the cross-compatibility of some parts as the pictures make certain sub-assemblies look near identical in construction.

Once you compare the two side by side it'll be pretty apparent how non-compatible parts are. Goes with the territory I guess.

.. and all the additions like electronic trigger, easy spring change, quick replace body and barrels... its all where AEGs are going... this is the revolutionary design that a lot of other manufactures will copy. You already see ARES with their new M4A1 adding electronic trigger and quick change spring. I am sure other major brands will follow suit.

Can I just clarify the 'electronic' trigger thing? Are we talking about the same switch unit that Ares puts in their other guns (e.g. Tavor), or something completely new in the ACR?

Can I just clarify the 'electronic' trigger thing? Are we talking about the same switch unit that Ares puts in their other guns (e.g. Tavor), or something completely new in the ACR?

I'd like to know about it too, is it just a type of mosfet?

Also can people stop complaining about the ARES internals, that is just speculation until it is confirmed. Apologies if it was and I missed it but as far as I'm aware they share some similarities but nothing official has been confirmed?

Edited by Apocalypsemeow
Also can people stop complaining about the ARES internals, that is just speculation until it is confirmed. Apologies if it was and I missed it but as far as I'm aware they share some similarities but nothing official has been confirmed?

I doubt it'll ever be officially confirmed.

its the same microswitch as in ares m16/m4 and so on.

Just like hundreds of other electrical devices.wink.gif

In the end, if it works good, does it matter if it really is Ares?

Ares, G&P, CA, KA,... as long as it does the job the way it should, I don't care who makes it.

People and their brand blindness... .

Well the Ares dont have the same electrical system as ordinary aegs.....it has the type like in the A&K, CA m249s....a real microswitch.

So you cant compare ares with a aeg with the ordinary electrical system.

So no brandblindness here!

If its good or bad in a semi/auto aeg I dont know?..only used it in my m249s

If so, then I'll pass on this one for sure. Those would be ridiculous prices.

Well thanks for Dupoint(or whoever makes magpuls polymomers)for jacking up thier prices,still,i think it needs a folding stock to kinda like a "Masada",the stock stock in my opion can be used as a presion stock,or even the regular one

If so, then I'll pass on this one for sure. Those would be ridiculous prices.

Yea, they're a bit high, but when you think about what you're buying then it makes more sense.

If you were to buy a 10.5 in barrel for an M4, you'll be paying $60 easy. And that's not including an inner barrel, bucking, gas system, or quick change function that will be integrated in the ACR barrels.

The stock seems like it'll be that expensive because of it's design (not to mention it can only be used on one specific gun).

I'd be in heaven if the prices were lower than what I'm expecting, but I'm not going to hold my breathe. I won't be super upset if that's what I end up paying for them. Only time (and USMC) will tell.

Ok, now I have toyed around with my Masada a little and tried to zero the sights on it at 10 meters/yards (appr). This might be a noob problem but..

With maximum popup and the front sight screwed all the way to the bottom I still get the hits some 10-15cm (4-6 inches for those who are metrically challenged) below target. I feel that the popup is somewhat non-functioning. On my very old TM P90 the problem is the opposite. The amount of hopup needed is very little. A touch to the hopup dial and the bb´s make a nice climb over the target.

Anybody else have the same problem, or am I just a lame n00b who should go back to stamp collecting? Can it be battery related? I am running an 8,4V/1050mAh mini battery.