MagPul PTS MASADA ACR

I think initially that was one of my main gripes about the gun. The fact that they used clockwise 14mm threads rather than the industry standard CCW threads. My sample only had the orange plastic flashhider and no metal replacement flashhider, so I really had to look high and low for a CW FH throughout all my accessories. <_<

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yours definitely had wobble. And it has since been fixed. Who else's has been confirmed to have wobble? Because out of the 3000 units sold so far, yours is the only one that I'm aware of that has been

I like how me pointing out the obvious in my last post has garnered a negative rep. LOL. Haters gonna hate.

I Lol'd at all the fanboys who had to have this must have aeg. To be honest it seems as if youy have all been taken for a ride. My A&K Masada with systema gearbox *suitcases* all over this ares ab

Posted Images

I think initially that was one of my main gripes about the gun. The fact that they used clockwise 14mm threads rather than the industry standard CCW threads. My sample only had the orange plastic flashhider and no metal replacement flashhider, so I really had to look high and low for a CW FH throughout all my accessories. <_<

If its not too much to ask, could u possibly take a picture of the acr with the short barrel, in standard configuration please? =] maybe a mvg grip thrown on too...lol

Gearbox is not ARES

Bearings/Bushings are of the same setup as those from ARES. However....The bearings used by the MAGPUL PTS Masada ACR is sealed whereas the ARES AEG's come with an "open" bearing.

Quick spring replacement is reminiscent of the ARES M4's

Piston on the ARES are black, the MAGPUL Masada's is Clear (as is the Piston head)

Cylinder between ARES and MAGPUL AEG's looks to be similar.

Micro switches are micro switches. I'm sure both MAGPUL and ARES get their micro switch from a micro switch manufacturer (maybe they're the same?)

The gear set is definitely not ARES

--------------

Based on these differences, I would say that the MAGPUL PTS Masada ACR's gearbox is not Manufactured by ARES.

• Like 1

Only Magpul knows....

I'm sure they sourced similar manufacturers for certain parts like bushings, bearings, the spring guide, and motor...the gearbox design though reminiscent of the ARES'....however, none of the ARES AEG's use this particular type of gearbox....

-----------------

As far as photos of the gearbox internals, I could post some up though I'm really reluctant to take apart the gearbox again as I had already put a dab of loctite on the screws.

Because shimming is acceptable and the quick spring change...there's no real reason why the gearbox absolutely needs to be opened up. The gears are adequately lubed as is the piston and piston head. As said previously, compression around the air nozzle isn't the absolute best its good enough to provide a "good" fps. One way to really find out is to compare it to a similar setup using a TM M4...install a spring, chrono...remove the spring...install the spring into the MAGPUL PTS Masada ACR..chrono.

Another reason why there aren't any photos of the internals just yet is that the gun just recently came out. That and the gun comes with a 30 day warranty which I don't really know would work as there's no sticker/seal to break like on the KWA AEG's. Anyhow....I'm just throwing out possible reasons why photos of the gearbox parts are not quite out yet. :)

Edited by sacairsoftsn00py

A quick question about the quick spring change.

When changing the spring, should the spring be lubricated? What is best to use? A silicon spray, or a more permanent lube like white grease, or the like.

I really like the quick change spring system. So much easier to make the gun power compliant for different fields, etc.

Now to figure out if the inner barrel is proprietary, and wait for my h-nubs and guarder 50% clear buckings to arrive :)

Sure I will be asking for help again soon.

Edited by dstole

As far as I know. The inner barrel is not proprietary. :P

I needed to cut down 1mm off the back of the bucking (away from the lip) because of the black spacer's placement. The black spacer helps align the barrel. I had to mod that piece to correct the orientation of the inner barrel.

I normally don't lube my springs. Silicone oil dries up. If you want to lube the spring...I would go for some silicone gel. Just add a minimal coat and it'll be fine.

Ok, I checked with Dstole, and the barrel is the same, when really tight, no wobble, but the little handle ends up being not quite perpendicular to the handguard anymore, and a bit on the side. Probably as it was intended but I didn't pay attention first time I took it off ;)

So to sum up, very little barrel movement, but nevertheless a little bit of play since floating barrel with no handguard inside support. If quick release system is not screwed tight enough, the play can become quite more.

Ok scrap what I said, dstole's pic was actually the opposite of mine, which means that somehow I screw my barrel way too much, but without even pushing that hard.

Believing dstole, with his setting, he has no wobble, while if I screw mine like his, I have buckload of wobble. Now with screwed as it is in the picture on my side, I end up having 0 zobble, but somehow I'm able to screw it a little further every time, which makes me think that something is stripping somewhere. When I first received it I can guarantee it wasn't screwed that far.

Ycare's:

ycare.jpg

dstole's:

dstole.jpg

See the difference somewhere? :blink:

Edited by Ycare

Mine actually is centered. I need to put a little torque behind it (not too much) to get mine centered. It won't budge farther than the centered setting.

It shouldn't be like that at all. The gun is still under the 30 day warranty no?

Yup, still under warranty I believe. I emailed Magpul on their Sales email address on the warranty card and gave them the link to this thread along with the two pictures and the situation, so to follow up.

And I turn it the right way, clock wise, not like there is any other choice anyway since the other direction takes the barrel off.

I'm sure something must be stripping somehow and that there is a manufacturing defect, but I'll wait to hear from Magpul first.

chancing the type/colour of plastic is no big deal........and the gun is ARES made, you have to be quite blind not to see the similar stuff on the ares scar and the magpull masada...nobody use these system* more than star/ares

Gearbox with microswitch och quickrealese spring...99% as the ares scar/M16/m4 models

Custom hopup 100% as the ares scar

Why can magpull just say that the aeg is made/develop by ares?

I think it's more than the source of parts. Why choose to replicate the bushing/bearing combination? There are just too many confirming instances for this not to be Ares - and I don't think that's a bad thing as there is aleady a pool of knowledge in terms of fixes for the common Ares problems.

I can't remember if the Tavor's piston head was ported - it may have a couple of small holes in it, but if not, it's not unlike Ares to make a tiny improvement - a bit like using a sealed bearing as opposed to an open one.

Edited by The Reptile House

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=78878

Leaning towards the gearbox using ares parts now...

Looking at the thread, I see very similar traits between the ARES SCAR and the MAGPUL PTS Masada ACR now...

Interesting indeed :P

lol, jeez man, where've you been, a few of us have been saying that for months.. :D

ive only seen the prototype gearbox internally so i could only give my opinions on that, and it was most certainly an Ares. looking forward to see whats different on the release model though. :)

Ares doesn't make the stuff themselves. They have several OEM's. It's often easier, especially for tooling, for an OEM to make items in a manner they're familiar with even if it's done to a higher spec, than to relearn the process based on other OEM's designs. Just because the stuff looks like Ares, doesn't necessarily mean Ares was directly involved. Also, Ares has several partners within the company structure. It's not unheard of for a partner within an airsoft company to hook up another manufacturer with their OEM. Not saying that is what happened here ... but it's certainly a strong possibility. Regardless, of who people ultimately think did the internals, I still feel it's (as I have been saying for a while now) more important to focus on how they hold up over time. Furthermore, let's say the internals do the job better than how Ares' guns have held up in the past. It's still not safe to assume that all of Ares' guns in the future will be equally as reliable as the ACR even if you stand firm that Ares made the internals. OEM's can make parts to many different levels of specification and tolerance.

If people really want to stick to their guns that the internals are made by Ares that's fine and is their prerogative, but I still don't think it's conclusive to say that the internals will perform exactly as every other Ares gun has performed in the past. It's also possible that if Ares were directly involved, that they could have stepped up their game and this is a sign of things to come from that company. Who knows. VFC had a horrible time with internals initially starting with their HK416 line. Nowadays however, the VFC SR15/16 line have very decent internals OOTB.

Regardless of who you think made the internals, I just think it's premature to write off the product based purely off that aspect. If you're skeptical, don't buy it. Hold off for a while and let the early adopters buy them, run them hard, find out what/if any failure points exist. And then six to eight months later check back in to see how the dust has settled. If you like what you see at that point from all the months of feedback out there, allow that to bias your buying decision rather than a knee jerk reaction to what might manifest itself down the road.