Where to buy lubricants

Smith5

Where does everyone buy their gearbox lubricants from in the UK. There must be other sources apart from airsoft retailers. I can find lithium grease for using on the gears in abundance from several places, but what about silicone grease for the cylinder and piston parts?

Finish Line Teflon stuff from Halfords, or their own brand Teflon lube (in a tube, it's a red grease) both found in the bike dept. Rock Shox Judy Butter or Pace RC45 are both great greases too if you can find them, they are designed for use in MTB suspension forks, so slippy and sticky at the same time (if that makes sense) and safe on rubber/plastic parts.

Well I ended up going down the Halfords route and got a massive tub of lithium grease for an relatively insignificant amount of money. Wasn't sure about the teflon stuff as it wasn't exactly clear to be by looking at the tube what it was 100 % safe/unsafe to use on; I didn't want to buy anything that could have caused my o-rings or piston to dribble out of the gearbox, so I will source that grease from somewhere else.

randomly, i got a tube of silicone grease when i was in maplins :)

I got some of that stuff a whyle back and i would not recomend it at all. I tried it on an AEG gearbox and i had to open it up again within a month because it was dried up. Ideally you want a gearbox set up so you dont take it apart after 10 years or more.

Also tried with GBB handguns and its just a little to thick, keeps clogging things up unless i spray on some spray lube as well.

The maplins spray lube is great (for GBBs, where you clean regularly).

I got some of that stuff a whyle back and i would not recomend it at all. I tried it on an AEG gearbox and i had to open it up again within a month because it was dried up. Ideally you want a gearbox set up so you dont take it apart after 10 years or more.

Also tried with GBB handguns and its just a little to thick, keeps clogging things up unless i spray on some spray lube as well.

The maplins spray lube is great (for GBBs, where you clean regularly).

fair enough, but i use it on my bolty, which gets stripped down every couple of months at least, so gets re-applied each time. its a great weight of grease for the bolt.

i know what you mean about gbb's though. tried it on my slide rails - way too thick :)

Years as a cycle mechanic gave me a loathing of lithium grease. Flicks off bearings easily, so I suspect if you use it anywhere near the piston it will end up getting blown through the air nozzle onto the hop rubber. Seeized seatposts or pedals caused by galvanic corrosion have also put me off. Annything designed to be used anywhere near cycle or motorbike suspension systems or the like will be specifically designed to be plastic and rubber safe as these applications have lots of oil and dust seals.

Halfords

Finish line teflon grease

Finish line ceramic grease

Google them both for UK stores, Halfords also sells them

This, I have been recommending the above for quite some time.

Strangly some people still use Lithium or silicone based grease in AEG's. Makes no sense to me at all. Lithium is junk, I have seen it dry and become crumbly in mechboxes and silicone is no where near as effective as the Teflon series from Finish Line.

fair enough, but i use it on my bolty, which gets stripped down every couple of months at least, so gets re-applied each time. its a great weight of grease for the bolt.

Agreed.

What works on an aeg, is not necessarily the best for a bolty & vice-versa.

After years of using abbey 35 in my vsrs, (which had to be re applied every 200 shots), I tried the Finnish line Teflon stuff that the General recommends.

It is excellent in aegs, & works well as a lube in bolties, giving a very smooth bolt pull for over a thousand shots. & it doesn't dry up. But be warned, it is not Lalax friendly. It unfortunately wrote off one of my zero pistons! The nylon bushes sort of eroded & the rubber pad on the front fell off & curled up. :(

I'm currently using abbey silicon grease on the vsr's & it seems to work very well. As yet, I've put about 600 shots through & the bolt is still silky smooth. Only time will tell if it drys out. I wouldn't recommend it for aeg cylinders, as I doubt it would last long.

On a side note, the Systema cylinder grease is excellent, but costs an arm for a thimble full.

It also has a very sobering advisory statement on the back of the packaging, stating that Systema requires users to clean & re grease their cylinders at the end of each day of use or 2000 shots, whichever comes first. :o

Greg.

Archived