M14 Picture Thread

The scout rail was initially developed to be used with magnifying optics. It was developed by the late great Col. Jeff Cooper of Gunsite Fame. The idea was that you could mount an IED (Intermidiaate Eye Relif) Scope or pistol Scope on the front rail wich would allow you to quickly target game or an armed enemy without obscuring your field of vision.

It was initially for use on bolt guns and proved popular enough for Steyr to Produce their Scout Rifle. Later with the prolification of ris rails on everthing people started to mount reddots further forward for the same reasons.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm really not a fan of the SOCOM-DMR thing - SOCOMs are meant to be more mobile and manouverable over the standard M14 - It just don't seem right gosh dayng it!

The man has a point.

My dad just got the socom to be my support man when im using the m14 (high fps so single shot only). That way we can share mags if needed. Not that i need support :P

To be honest, I didn't want the SOCOM... It was a Christmas gift... I had asked for the M-14 Wood, but the purchaser of the gun didn't realize there was a difference... bless her soul ^_^... but having read up on the SOCOM, and seeing it was a gift, it seemed like a more reliable piece, didn't stop me from dressing it for scouting missions etc etc... and it works nicely ^^

it should be as long as it's 14mm CCW. anyways, I love my M14 SOCOM and I'm seriously contemplating whether to leave it stock or not cause it fires so well. The only problem is thick bushes but otherwise, i outrange most people. I think the SOCOM is a lot better when you want to stay hidden because I think the M14 regular is too long.