M14 Picture Thread

Why not just get a CA Scout? Or are you just set on modifying your current rifle?

...because I already own a marui m14 socom and just want the flashider of a standard m14, which would cost dramatically less than buying a whole new CA m14. So yeah, that's modifying- seem to remember someone effectively recreating a M1A in fareasts original socom review thread by simply swapping flashiders around.

(Especially given I'm not UKARA registered yet- moar site visits, please- and so couldn't buy a CA scout even if I wanted to).

currentm14.jpg

Since it's a new page, brief recap:

Can anyone reccomend a good optic (ideally around 3x) that has sufficient eye relief and for use on the front mount of a Socom? I currently have a reflex on it, and while I actually love RDS's, I'd also like something similar to an ACOG for some situations, so it would be nice to change between the two depending on what field I'm playing etc.

Also, I asked a while back, but does anyone have an standard (not socom) front flashider/barrel assembly they want to sell to me? I'm planning to make a rough approximation of a a M1A scout squad- redwolf has just the barrel, but shipping etc whine whine.

Edited by Crumbelievable
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Milla, I would dust that rifle over with a very light coat of the Khaki color you used in that pattern. Not enough to make solid lines, but more of a sprinkling, if you will. It looks good now, but IMO there are too many large dark blotches.

I was actually thinking about doing that. How do i do it just give it a light coat of khaki from about 2 feet away, kind of like a mist?

...because I already own a marui m14 socom and just want the flashider of a standard m14, which would cost dramatically less than buying a whole new CA m14. So yeah, that's modifying- seem to remember someone effectively recreating a M1A in fareasts original socom review thread by simply swapping flashiders around.

(Especially given I'm not UKARA registered yet- moar site visits, please- and so couldn't buy a CA scout even if I wanted to).

currentm14.jpg

Since it's a new page, brief recap:

Any magnifying sight is going to require the right amount of eye relief to get a usable sight picture. You need to use either a red dot or a reflex sight in that position. Personally, I'm all in favour of an Aimpoint rep up there.

Any magnifying sight is going to require the right amount of eye relief to get a usable sight picture. You need to use either a red dot or a reflex sight in that position. Personally, I'm all in favour of an Aimpoint rep up there.

Use a Scope intended for a pistol, then it will have the long eye relief. Originally the forward Scout Scope position pioneered by the late great Col. Jeff Cooper was intended for a small magnifacation scope.

Edited by BigAl
Use a Scope intended for a pistol, then it will have the long eye relief. Originally the forward Scout Scope position pioneered by the late great Col. Jeff Cooper was intended for a small magnifacation scope.

Ah, thanks, I hadn't considered that a pistol sight would have to have the sufficient eye relief due to recoil/firing stance etc. That's pretty much perfect for what I need.

And morpcat and hellsangel, I have a reflex already (it's right there in the picture), and have previously been using a standard m14 mount with a 3-9x40 strike scope, but I found it was so much slower to shoulder and aim than the reflex is, and a further forward mounted scope would be.

Very cool, only thing I can see is kinda wrong is the mag, it looks like a 5.56 mag, but other than that, very nice work!

thanks, the mag does look a bit "curved"...hmm i should go and fix that

Do u have a silencer on your SOCOM?

yea the one in the drawing is the old small silencer, i have a new one for it now

masakarijoe- It is the same colors as Woodland BDUs. Maybe it's the pic. It does blend very well with Woodland, Multicam, British DPM and I'm sure some others also. Everybody's entitles to their opinion though.

Cam Keo SOC16- It looks huge, but it's only 4 1/2 inches longer than with the stock flash hider. Ok, I guess that is ridiculously long. :D