M14 Picture Thread

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thank ya....actually got an original heatshield sittin up in the parts bin somewhere....i'll have to do that next chance i get. I know it took some modification with the G&G's, but is there any trimming necessary with TM's?

thank ya....actually got an original heatshield sittin up in the parts bin somewhere....i'll have to do that next chance i get.  I know it took some modification with the G&G's, but is there any trimming necessary with TM's?

Mine fit in perfectly, dosent wobble anymore either, The TM M14 has perfect M14 dimensions so all real steel stuff fits it quite well, including the real fiberglass stock once modified (Unfortunately i had to scrap it because it was squeezin my motor too much, and i didnt feel like hollowing out the already bondoed neck anymore, would require ANOTHER layer of bondo to fix, which wouldnt be all bad but not good either)

ARE YOUUU REAAADDDYYYYYY.....

For a n00b question!!!!!! YAY!

Anyways, what role is the m14 used in in todays military. and is it used by anyone other than the yanks?

-Ben

The M14 is now the M21 or M25, and is used by almost all branches of the armed forces as a DMR or sniper Rifle role. The M14 is used by several semi underveloped countries and some developed countries under the same role.

I'm sure others will add more specific details but if you go to www.world.guns.ru they have some excelent info on just about every gun you could want to know about.

The M14 is used primarily as a supportive sniper weapon. It is making a comeback in some branches of the military in another version known as the Socom 16.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-rifles-socom.shtml

SOCOM16.jpg

I got to handle one of those guys a couple weeks ago, nearly ran out and bought one myself. It's much shorter than an M14, but shoots insane groupings. Not to mention is light weight, and light on recoil. Very nice shooter.

I think G&G also has a kit for the SOC-16 running around as well(maybe a full gun too, I don't know).

Wait? light on recoil? does it still uses the same 7.62? because that was one of the reasons that the M14 was scraped, wouldn't making it light be actually worse?...

Yea it still uses NATO 7.62. But compared to my RS M1A(civi M14) the recoil actually felt lighter. Modern improvements to a 40/50 year old weapon work wonders I guess.

Edited by strategery

The US navy also uses regular M14s for ship defense and firing lines (ropes) to other ships (they use a special muzzle attachment). Various modified M14s are used by special forces when they need a more powerful gun, which can be important in places like Afghanistan where there are lots of desert mountain terrain and you need a gun with the added power and range. That is why they are developing the Special Purpose Rifle, but they already have lots of M14s to slap new stocks and ris rails on that are still more powerful.

The SOC 16 has a huge compensator on the muzzle with tons of hole in the top, it can vent a lot of muzzle blast upwards and back to kick the muzzle forward and down, this cuts down on recoil a lot. The pre WWII Thompson with a Cutts compensator does the same (I've even heard that the Thompson jumps forward a bit, but I've never personally spoken to someone who's shot one, or fired one myself). In an article I read on the SOC 16 in some gun magazine, the author said several people watching him shoot his new SOC 16 claimed they saw the muzzle jump down when it fired, and that recoil was much better than a fullsized M14.

The M14 was never really scrapped, it was just replaced by a weapon more practical for most combat (even though it was not designed for the gunpowder used, which is why the first ones didn't work so well). M14's were scrapped as squad automatic weapons, because they were certainly too light to fire on full auto without jumping everywhere, but they are fine for semi auto. They have been used widely for various purposes since they were adopted by the US military.

Edited by DanHS
Think I should share mine, as Im a proud M14 owner!

-krylon tan spray painted

-improvised cheek rest

-leapers 4x32 scope... that scope is kinda short and I realized that I have some eye relief issues - other than that.. I love everything about it.

Other than that nice lookin weapon you've got there =)

Not half bad but can I make a suggestion? Go back and get all your metal parts back to the original gray/black color, Your gun will have a much nicer look to it... My other suggestion is to remove all the paint and remove the finish underneath of it. I noticed this on my M14's stock when i painted it, that if you dont remove the finish you get spots where the paint streaks a bit and then leaves the original colors underneath.

not to be racist at all but i hate US impressions... camo doesnt do it for me or gear... anyone know of a country that doesnt have IMPOSSIBLE to find camo that usese the non sniper versions>

-Ben

Ever Tried the US Vietnam look? If that dosent work run out there with a wood stock in OD uniforms, thats about the closest you'll get. check world.guns.ru and see if they have anymore info for you on other countries that use it, and if that dosent work go to wikipedia.org

A partial list of foreign governments that have received M14 rifles from the United States includes Argentina, Belize, Chad, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Estonia, Greece, Haiti, Israel, Jordan, Latvia, Lithuania, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, and Turkey. Some examples of such transfers are as follows:

Nation Amount Year(s) Transfer Method Cost

If Available

Belize 15 1995 EDA $828.00

Chile 12 1995 EDA $662.00

Colombia 10,000 1990-92 FMS

Estonia 40,500 1998 EDA Free

Israel 35,000 1973 Free

Latvia 10,000 1996 EDA Free

Lithuania 40,000 1998 EDA Free

Philippines 3,638 1994 EDA $200,817.60

Taiwan 30,450 1995 EDA $1,680,840.00

Turkey 200 1995 EDA Free

EDA = Excess Defense Articles program

FMS = Foreign Military Sales program

MAP = Military Assistance Program

124,815 M14 rifles were exported under the EDA program between 1995 and 1998. Some were given at no cost under the EDA and MAP programs while other M14 rifles were sold under the FMS program. The Excess Defense Articles program is authorized under the Federal Assistance Act of 1961. Other M14 rifles were transferred to foreign nations under Military Assistance Programs. A Total Army Assets database query performed during the first half of 2001 found a total U. S. Army inventory of 120,021 M14 rifles. This included M14 rifles in each classification of readiness condition. This query did not account for M14A1, M14M (Modified) and M14 NM (National Match) rifles in the possession of the U. S. Army or any M14 rifles in the inventory of the U. S. Navy, Marine Corps or Air Force. As of mid-2003, the U. S. Army inventory was approximately 96,000 M14 rifles in Condition A readiness.

Source: http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/

Other than that nice lookin weapon you've got there =)

Not half bad but can I make a suggestion? Go back and get all your metal parts back to the original gray/black color, Your gun will have a much nicer look to it... My other suggestion is to remove all the paint and remove the finish underneath of it. I noticed this on my M14's stock when i painted it, that if you dont remove the finish you get spots where the paint streaks a bit and then leaves the original colors underneath.

hmmm, I tried leaving the metal black first, but I personally like it this way a lot better... it works well camouflaging

and I havent had the "original colors" issue so far... but if It wears out naturally, I'll like it even more. I love the dirty looking single color paint job ;)

thanks tho, I appreciate ur concern

I guess the easiest loadout to go for would be a philippina army loadout : OD suit, a bandana in the hair, and you're done! note that it wouldn't work that well if you are 1m90 and blond-haired...

As a side note, the Thompson SMG had indeed their muzzle going down for the first shot (as most of open-fired SMG, as my Sten MkIII, do) because of the large amount of metal jumping forward under the spring pressure when the trigger is depressed. But if the M1/M14 does go down or not, I couldn't tell you (but I doubt a bit though)

Belize 15 1995 EDA $828.00

Chile 12 1995 EDA $662.00

Colombia 10,000 1990-92 FMS

Estonia 40,500 1998 EDA Free

Israel 35,000 1973  Free

Latvia 10,000 1996 EDA Free

Lithuania 40,000 1998 EDA FreePhilippines 3,638 1994 EDA $200,817.60

Taiwan 30,450 1995 EDA $1,680,840.00

Turkey 200 1995 EDA Free

Source: http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/

WOOO LITHUANIA... My peoples have some of the best rifles ever made!!!