M14 Picture Thread

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thats what i have been saying since it was first released by star. i love it. its a beautiful gun. but it doesnt warrent the M14 label. theres more difference between the M14 and the sopmod than there is between an M14 and the M1 Garand. so why does the Sopmod not get its own label? its not an M14 its something new, and should be treated as such

thats what i have been saying since it was first released by star. i love it. its a beautiful gun. but it doesnt warrent the M14 label. theres more difference between the M14 and the sopmod than there is between an M14 and the M1 Garand. so why does the Sopmod not get its own label? its not an M14 its something new, and should be treated as such

umm the SOPMOD has a lot more in common with the m14 than the m14 does with a garand.

umm the SOPMOD has a lot more in common with the m14 than the m14 does with a garand.

if you look at it from the perspective of someone who isnt part of the gun community the M14 is obviously the child of the M1, but the sopmod bares little to no resembalence to the M14, sure they use the same magazine, but other than that what else would let, say, my mum realise they were both M14's

but the sopmod bares little to no resembalence to the M14, sure they use the same magazine

Only the same magazine? More like the entire gas system, trigger, bolt, reciever, operating rod, charging handle, bolt catch, overall mechanism.

The SOPMOD M14 is an M14 with its stock removed, and the whole mechanism placed in a seperate stock, and the barrel cut down. It's still an M14.

Edited by sekiryu

Yes...but not externally. Your average Joe Bloggs isnt going to open up an M14 SOPMOD to check what parts are similar if hes asked "which looks like it came from an M1, this *holds up M14* or this *holds up SOPMOD*"

I rest my case..

yay, someone with my viewpoint! i refuse to call an EBR an M14.

and lithium jack, i dissagree. hicappas still look similar the only obvious similarity between an EBR and an M14 is the mag... so by your reasoning an SR47 is a kalashnikov variant as it uses 7.62 AK mags

But surely an EBR is an M14, after all that's the gun upon which its' based? Aesthetically it's different, sure, but aren't the internals and thus the operation of the gun the same? Just like 1911s and 2011s are the same gun internally, it's just that they look different on the outside. The premise and operation is basically identical.

It's like having a baking apple and regular apple, they might be used for different purposes but they are still apples nonetheless.

Bad example I know, but I was just illustrating my point. :P

I didn't say that it did. If you refer to my last post, you will see that I said that they are externally different guns, and that they have different purposes, but the basic idea is the same. An EBR is better in CQB situations, and an M14 is more suited for engagements at longer ranges, but the EBR is still an M14, it just happens to have been modified for a different purpose. You might not agree with it being an M14, but that's exactly what it is.

From http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?n...article&sid=608 :

Apparently, the M14 EBR/M1A EBR was developed to win a five-year Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division (Crane NSWC) contract to supply the U.S. Naval Special Warfare (SPECWAR) and Marine Corps communities (perhaps MCSOCOM and Force Recon units) with a SPECOPS-ready SOPMOD accessory-compatible M14 rifle/carbine. The M14 Enhanced Battle Rifle (or M1A Enhanced Battle Rifle) should prove particularly effective in the CQB (Close Quarters Battle) and short-to-medium range interdiction (sniping) roles in urban warfare/combat environments.

If that doesn't prove my point, I don't know what will.

sorry, you must have misunderstood me. i was saying that i think EBRs have so little M14 left in them that they dont DESERVE the name M14.

and yes, you did basicly say that an RPK and AKS74u are essentially the same. as they are internally pretty much the same (some slight differences), fire the same ammunition, built from an AK74. but they look VERY different and perform very different roles

obvious similarity between an EBR and an M14 is the mag

And the gas tube, and the receiver, and the bolt, and the charging handle, and the operating rod, M14-specific flashhider.....those are all obvious similarities as well.

sorry, you must have misunderstood me. i was saying that i think EBRs have so little M14 left in them that they dont DESERVE the name M14.

and yes, you did basicly say that an RPK and AKS74u are essentially the same. as they are internally pretty much the same (some slight differences), fire the same ammunition, built from an AK74. but they look VERY different and perform very different roles

WTF are you talking about? The EBR is just a different style of stock. It is still an M14.You can take an EBR, pull out the receiver and put all that back into the old stock and you have a regular M14 and vice versa.Its like saying that you take an M16, put the RAS like the M16A4 and saying its not an M16.

Edited by 5 to 1

Here is my new pride and joy !

M14before.jpg

Credit for the picture goes to the original owner. I still need some flipup covers for the scope and to install the QD silencer that I bought for it. At that point I will just be missing a few things internally and all I'll have to do is to go out there and kick some butt !