Images ... can I get a clarification on sizing?

Now that we've switched to the new system (which looks great btw), I find myself a little confused regarding image posting ... more specifically, image sizing and the auto down sizing.

In the old system, I seem to recall the max size an image could be before auto down sizing took place was an image who's pixel dimensions exceeded 800 pixels in height or width. This worked great, as 800 pixels seemed like a good threshold for the forum's pages as it gave you enough of an opportunity to enjoy the image and should you wish to view it in more detail you'd click on it to see it in full size (if the size exceeded the 800 x 800 limit). As a result I deliberately made all pics in two sizes, a small sized pic that would be under the limit, which when clicked redirected the viewer to a 1200+/- full sized image.

In the new system, I find it a little confusing. Sometimes the image resizes, sometimes it doesn't. Images that were previously within the 800x800 limit are now considered too large and significantly resized to something much smaller (e.g.: a 800x600 gets resized to 400x300). But that doesn't always happen (perhaps older pics before the system upgrade isn't subject to the image resizing?).

So, can someone in the know please explain what the new parameters are for images? And if it's at all possible, can the limits be slackened back to the 800x800 pixel limit before auto down sizing takes place? If nothing else, perhaps for the review threads at least? (but preferably for all images across the site?)

Thanks for looking into this!

-Corps