Conundrum...

JColt

Hi, i've been wanting to do a form of WW2 re-enactment for a while now and i'm starting to look into bits and bobs.

My question hinges on the gun i'm getting, a Thompson M1A1. Did the British forces ever use that variant of the weapon? I'm aware that they used the 1928 but can't find any mention of them using the M1A1.

The real reason is the want to do a "correct" kit. If the British didn't use them, i begin looking at US kit instead :P

Cheers,

James.

If you can find the AGM sten anywhere pick it up for a super correct kit. I think there are conversion kits or ways to make it a 1928 for the thompson. I know people on the forum have converteded thier thompsons. However i think they are using the Mosquito Molds M1928 model conversion kit which from a quick google are getting quite rare. Lastly even if you do have a M1A1 for ww2 airsoft this is definatly aceptable and no body will think less of you for having one.

Hope this helps

penguin

edit

i found this link maybe just what you are looking for depending on how far you want to go, it is a grip swap tutorial and the comments are quite useful as well.

The British army certainly did buy M1 and M1a1 thompsons from yankland. After dunkirk, we realised we needed to rearm a whole army, a bigger army than we had before(scince ww1) the best solution was to buy everything we could from the yanks. By some accounts we cleared out every 1911 variant and every thompson variant in every american warehouse. At this time it was mostly 1921 and 1928 thompsons we where getting (as the M1a wasent around yet)

Later on, 1942IIRC , the Americans simplified the design of the thompson to the M1 and quickly the M1a1, and where still selling them to us brits.

The sten was a desperation move on our part, as thompsons where never coming into the country fast enough to equip the growing army. Everyone knows the story of the sten so i'll leave it there.

Having a single unit of the british army equiped with N4MK1, No1MK3, sten and 1928/M1A1 thompsons mixed together was not unheard of. For sidearms pretty much any pre 1940 variant of a 1911 is more than likley to have been used along side any variant of the webley breaktop.

My Grandfather served on British vessels in the Pacific towards the end of the war in the Navy; There were several M1A1's onboard - I can confirm it was the M1A1 as a few of my Grandad's colleagues complained about the lack of the forward pistol grip on newer models making it more difficult to control for anything more than short bursts. He also fired one on several occasions... Lucky git!

I was under the impression Thompsons were removed from line infantry and home guard units to equip only commandos and units in Africa/Italy? Standardising the calibre of ammo resupply needed.

My Grandfather served on British vessels in the Pacific towards the end of the war in the Navy; There were several M1A1's onboard - I can confirm it was the M1A1 as a few of my Grandad's colleagues complained about the lack of the forward pistol grip on newer models making it more difficult to control for anything more than short bursts. He also fired one on several occasions... Lucky git!

That still could have been a M1928A1.

I was under the impression Thompsons were removed from line infantry and home guard units to equip only commandos and units in Africa/Italy? Standardising the calibre of ammo resupply needed.

This is true, they tried to get all the .45s in one theater and all 9mms in another to make resupply easyer. The truth remains that the thompson, in different variants, saw action with the british army in every theater.

An airsoft loadout of a brit with a thompson M1a1 would allways be acceptable.

Unless you are BEF, but they did not have sten's either.

That still could have been a M1928A1.

Having seen a few of his photo's, it certainly looks like an M1/M1A1 - No charging handle visible on the top, no ribber barrel and no pistol grip. I could be wrong, but it definitely doesn't look like a 1928.

Amazingly fast replies! Thanks for the help chaps. I have a mate who's dad sells army surplus clothing etc and from his account the Brit uniform is rather itchy, hence why even with access to all the kit, he's never done an impression. Hearing that puts me off a Brit impression to be honest, unless he's just got one style...

A bog standard US grunt would be simple enough to manage on a budget i reckon (plus i love Kellys Heroes :P)

As a surplus dealer hes likely to have P49 uniforms, which can be rough as toast. A lot of the repro P37 and P40 wartime cuts aren't bad at all. I have Spearhead Militaria's P40 and the wool is quite soft and not at all abrasive. That said, the yank HBT uniforms and jumpsuits won't itch or irritate at all.

Kellys Heroes has always been my favourite film so im going to start a US Army set up. I've always wanted a Tankers Jacket as well.

Currently theres no basis on any unit but i reckon if i can get:

*M1 helmet (including the liners and all that jazz)

*HBT Jacket and Trousers

*Tankers Jacket

*Corocan Jump boots and gaiters

*M7 pistol holster

and then some webbing (pistol belt, aid pouch, water bottle, pistol mag pouches)

I'll have a decent "weapons and ammo" fighting kit.

Not too sure as to whether thats leaning towards bog standard army or the rangers though :P

Kellys Heroes has always been my favourite film so im going to start a US Army set up. I've always wanted a Tankers Jacket as well.

*Corocan Jump boots and gaiters

Not too sure as to whether thats leaning towards bog standard army or the rangers though :P

Either or mate :)

You wear roughouts with leggings/gaiters and corcorans (or buckle boots) on their own. Only airborne (with a few exceptions) wear corcorans TBH.

Ah, cheers for the clarification. I think it will probably be funds that decide what is bought actually, and comfort. Paying for a pair of nice looking boots that feel horrible is a massive mistake in my book. Hence me playing airsoft in my present day kit wearing merrels for the last two years.

Couple of other quick questions.

Were the m42 trousers for airborne troops or would rangers/army have access to them? Deciding whether i need them or HBT :)

Also, if i'm getting a tankers jacket, i'll only need an enlisted mans shirt and not a HBT one right? Or were three layers worn?

Couple of other quick questions.

Were the m42 trousers for airborne troops or would rangers/army have access to them? Deciding whether i need them or HBT :)

Also, if i'm getting a tankers jacket, i'll only need an enlisted mans shirt and not a HBT one right? Or were three layers worn?

M42 trousers were restricted generally speaking to Airborne.

Mustards were the more commonplace amongst the Infantry and glider riders. and HBT the rangers/marines and infantry aswell.

and yes your correct about the shirt HBT shirt or wool. HBTs were initially worn as "barrack" wear/training wear and the wools the norm combat roles etc.

Archived