So the product is the Oakley SI A Frame replica by G&P that is called Special Forces googles.

gp572.jpg

I bought this because I wanted to make a TF141 impression, just for fun. I already own ESS products so I didn't want to buy the real one for 50-70 USD.

I hoped a replica would do it plus I liked the idea of having holes against fog and knowing G&P I expected good quality.

It goes for 30 USD at most places.

When I opened the box I noticed a small crack at one of the holes.

googles3.jpg

It made me curious how it would stand up against BB fire.

So I took the strongest gun I had in working condition at the moment, which is a KWA Glock 23. On Green Gas it shoots 300-320 FPS.

I shot at the googles two times on full auto, half the magazine each time, 23 BBs overall, from one meter.

Results:

google1.jpg

googles2.jpg

So as it should have been obvious, chinese quality control is... do not exist, not even at G&P. The BBs did not get through but the chippings might have hurt the eyes of the wearer.

So as you may quess, I do not recommend this product.

For eye protection buy what was meant and designed to protect your eyes.

Edited by emp3ror86

First is chinese eye protection, second is chinese water reservoirs.:rolleyes:

I intend to have a sniper or someone with strong gun (400+ FPS) shot at it from 2-3 meters at my next skirmish. I really wonder how it would withstand a really strong gun.

It does not. So in case you lose an eye because of the bad quality of their product, you can't blame the manufacturer.

Not like you would have any chance of a successful legal action against a chinese company...

On the other hand my Guarder C-whatever glasses took BB fire very well. When my ESS arrives I'm going to make a test with that, too.

Thats because Guarder C-3's and ESS glasses & goggles are designed and marketted as eye protection.

Are they?

The last Guarder glasses I bought (and they were the last ones I bought, if you see what I mean) had a slip of paper in the bottom of the box saying "This is a novelty item only and should not be used as eye protection".

Protection ratings are designed to protect against a single impact, not 2, not 3 and not 23. I wouldn't be surprised if my Oakley Juliets shattered after 23 BB's in the same place.

So, given that it's entirely possible that you WILL receive multiple hits during a skirmish, I assume you'd never use your Oakleys for skirmishes?

Never sure about Oakley stuff.

Everybody (including Oakley) seems to claim the lenses are impact rated but, AFAIK, part of the rating system insists that any rated lense MUST actually be marked with the rating and the Oakley glasses I've seen don't actually have anything stamped/molded into the lenses.

Your expectations of these goggles are whats at fault here.

Yeah, buying a pair of goggles from an airsoft retailer and actually expecting them to protect your eyes. What a noob eh? :rolleyes:

I bet he's the sort of guy who buys skis from a ski shop and automatically assumes that means they're suitable for, y'know, skiing.

Yeah, buying a pair of goggles from an airsoft retailer and actually expecting them to protect your eyes. What a noob eh? :rolleyes:

I bet he's the sort of guy who buys skis from a ski shop and automatically assumes that means they're suitable for, y'know, skiing.

He bought some cheapish goggles, they arrived damaged so he shot them instead of sending them back - up close - 23 times. If your having that happen in any airsoft skirmish you are doing something very wrong.

Your surprised they broke further?

Edited by BIGBC

I can't believe you value your eye sight at $30....!

I value my eyesight at about £3 for the Arco safety glasses I wear at work.

It's not safety that's expensive. It's pose value.

I'm really not sure what the point is but there's wrong when you can buy perfectly adequate eyepro for under a fiver and yet walting on the cheap can risk your eyesight. :unsure:

your right fella, you can buy rated eye protection for around a fiver, most cover you to EN166-F1, fine for low force impact... which 500fps is not.

Pay a little more, and go for the proper safety standards, ANSI, quoted from the Oakley website as they lay it down in simple terms

"For the high-mass impact test of ANSI Z87.1, a 5-inch metal spike (17.6 ounces – more than a pound of weight) is dropped on the lens from a height of more than four feet."

Now facing 500fps seems a little less daunting, would I buy copies? no, plinking, i'd prob use the screwfix goggles, skirmishing, esp cqb, I'll stick to my real McCoys ta very much. ;)

Guys, I strongly suggest to read and understand the words, not just what you imagine, what is actually there.

But again: I use ESS Profiles NVG and glasses, as you can read in the very first part of this topic. The china ###### was bought for an impression, for fun.

I was not planning to go Iraq hoping it would withstand automatic Ak fire, nuclear explosions and the superlaser strike of the Death Star.

And even if it had not been damaged I'd have tested it before wearing on a skirmish.

Sending it back: Somehow I didn't find point in shipping it back for 30+ USD just to get a replacement. Fortunately my living does not depend on 30 bucks so I decied to make a test because I was curious. And you know what? This could be read in the first post. Next time at least read before you start flaming.

I did not shot it 23 times, (for BIGBC: full auto means you pull the trigger and while you are holding it the gun keeps on firing till there is BB in the magazine. Or should I get an article from wikipedia?) I shot 1-3 single, two burst. As you might get bursts in the face in a building here, the googles should withstand it.

And I am not surprised, as you can see I was not blaming anybody for this, this entire topic is a big For Your Information.

What I'm about to say might be really frightening and surprising, especially for BIGBC (B is for brain I hope), but you have to know that there are other people in the world who have less experience on some topics than you guys have.

And those people might find the information presented here useful. So this topic and my test was made for THEM.

And I'm very sure of that thousands of players play wearing worse ###### for eye protection then the one we talk about here. If this topic can save at least one eyesight by preventing someone to buy this or any other chinese ######, then my efforts won't be in vain.

So I'd really appreciate if you'd stop the pointless and unnecessary flaming and stay on the topic.

I shot at the googles two times on full auto, half the magazine each time, 23 BBs overall, from one meter.

I did not shot it 23 times, (for BIGBC: full auto means you pull the trigger and while you are holding it the gun keeps on firing till there is BB in the magazine. Or should I get an article from wikipedia?) I shot 1-3 single, two burst. As you might get bursts in the face in a building here, the googles should withstand it.

23 BBs overall = shot 23 times, no?

This seems a pretty irrational response, did i hit a nerve?

At no point did anyone suggest you were going to take fire from a real gun with these goggles.

A FYI thread telling us putting abnormal damage on an already damaged product will break them still strikes me as pointless.

And personally, both mine and BigBC's comments only go to enforce your "fyi" for newbie's who think buying a cheapsoft copy of more expensive kit will still offer the same levels of protection, you yourself posed as the prime example of this.

I see no smoke, nor a hint of flames. Neither do I see any of the comments going off topic, this could build to being quite an informative thread... if you would let it.

Edited by madwelshman
  • 2 weeks later...

So, given that it's entirely possible that you WILL receive multiple hits during a skirmish, I assume you'd never use your Oakleys for skirmishes?

Never sure about Oakley stuff.

Everybody (including Oakley) seems to claim the lenses are impact rated but, AFAIK, part of the rating system insists that any rated lense MUST actually be marked with the rating and the Oakley glasses I've seen don't actually have anything stamped/molded into the lenses.

Sorry about the late reply.

I only use Oakley lenses. I have an Oakley lens that has saved my life because it took the impact of a snowboarder landing on the edge on my goggles.

All Oakley lenses exceed all ANSI tests for impact resistance for eye protection.

There is no test right now for multiple impacts. And there is no way to determine how (if at all) the lens was damaged during any particular impact. So the lenses are rated for a single impact. It's a lot like a helmet, if you crash and hit your head, you're supposed to replace that helmet. Whether or not you do is a different matter, but that thing was only designed for a single impact.

I took a single, really hard crash with an old ski helmet; I replaced that helmet immediately. I have taken multiple light falls with my current helmet and I have kept it realizing that it might not have the same protection as it did when it was new but I'm confident that it's still in tact. I feel the same way about my lenses, if I take a hit to my M-Frames so hard that the lens separates from the frame I'll replace that lens right away.

I replace my lenses once a year, I have never seen a cracked Oakley (or Bolle) lens.