KWC Sig P226 X-FIVE 6mm CO2

The Sig Sauer X-FIVE series pistols are performance oriented and are produced mainly for competition shooting. They come in the X-FIVE model, Competition model, Tactical model, and Allround model. Most of the versions are single action, except for the Allround, which uses Sig's traditional double action with de-cocking lever. The X-FIVE differs from the standard P226 in several external aspects, including longer barrel, beaver tail, and ambidextrous safety (on single action models.)

Being the owner of an X-FIVE Allround model I have wanted an airsoft X-FIVE for some time. The PGC kits were just too pricey for me to want to take to the field with. So last year I heard about KWC's news that they would produce the Sig P226 X-FIVE Tactical version in 6mm airsoft. No news for a while, and then Palco Sports new catalog shows two versions - a 4.5mm version (BB gun) and a 6mm version (airsoft.) I contacted Palco in Minnesota and they said that although they list it in their catalog, they have no idea when it will arrive. They also mentioned that it was licensed from Sig, so trades should be intact (at least here in the States.) So I kept checking and on Saturday, Cobra Airsoft (www.cobraairsoft.com) listed both versions for sale. I ordered the 6mm version for $108 USD and paid $38.00 for 3-4 day shipping. I had a few other things in the order, and this was my first order with Cobra. I checked the status of my order - processed Monday, shipped Tuesday. Friday, just three days later, it arrived.

Product at Cobra Airsoft

The Box

The box was typical HK to US packaging - turned inside-out. It was easy to return it to the description side out. Inside of the box, it contains the gun, one magazine, a box of BB's, an allen wrench, and a spare magazine CO2 cap.

Top of box

kwc-xfive02.jpg

Bottom

kwc-xfive01.jpg

Inside

kwc-xfive03.jpg

The Gun

At first glance, the KWC X-FIVE has a matte black finish and mine came with the obligatory orange front for a delivery to the USA. The grips feel similar to stock Sig plastic grips and the slide has X-FIVE and Sig logos painted on the slide. Note that the real X-FIVE does not say X-FIVE on the slide. Since this is a copy of the tactical version, which is matte black stainless, it seems like KWC did a good job with the finish. I have not fielded it yet, so I cannot comment on the durability of the finish except to note that is is coming off from just trying it out!

Left side (note that I got finger prints on the slide)

kwc-xfive04.jpg

Right side

kwc-xfive06.jpg

The frame and slide are metal as is the barrel, spring guide, trigger, and hammer. All of the other hardware, except for the grips are also metal. It seems to be pot metal, which is typical airsoft fare. With a side to side shake, the slide has a little rattle, similar to my KJ Works P226 and P226. In fact, when comparing to any of my other P226's (Tanaka, Marui, and KWA) the KWC X-FIVE comes closest in fit and finish to the KJ Works. I'm not saying that is bad, it's just that is what it most resembles.

The gun's functions are like the real Tactical model, and is a blowback, so the slide locks back, the ambidextrous safety engages, and the trigger has a pull weight similar to my Marui (stock Marui.) There is no de-cocker lever since this is a replica of single action gun, BUT it fires double or single action.

Hopup is a wheel and is only adjustable if you remove the slide. The inner barrel is brass and ends before the outer barrel, so it appears to be slightly longer than a stock TM P226 length inner barrel. The brass inner barrel is approximately 114mm long. The outer barrel is metal.

kwc-xfive05.jpg

kwc-xfive07.jpg

kwc-xfive10.jpg

kwc-xfive11.jpg

Edited by BaltimoreCS

Comparison

Compared to my other airsoft P226's, the X-FIVE is slightly longer, as is the real one.

Side by side with KWA M226R

kwc-xfive16.jpg

kwc-xfive17.jpg

kwc-xfive18.jpg

Magazine

The gun comes with one magazine. Being a CO2 gun, I was hoping that the CO2 would reside in the magazine and not in the gun grip itself. I was not disappointed. The CO2 cartridge (12g) is inserted into the magazine by using an allen wrench to remove a threaded cap over the CO2 chamber. You put in a cartridge and screw it tight. Much easier than my G&G Xreme45's CO2 installation. BB's load standard and magazine capacity is 24 rounds. No word on spare magazines yet.

kwc-xfive09.jpg

kwc-xfive08.jpg

Holstering

Unfortunately, the trigger guard is 3mm wider than my KWA, which is 11mm. Therefore it does not fit into my Blackhawk Serpa holsters - neither the real one or the EBB knock-off. I will try to modify a Sportster and see if I can get it in.

kwc-xfive19.jpg

The Manual

The manual is a fold-out type and lists the model as "KWC Model KCB 70". There are directions for use, safety directions, an exploded diagram, and parts list. Note that the magazine is listed as separate parts and also as a single part number, so hopefully spares will be available at some point in the future.

kwc-xfive12.jpg

kwc-xfive13.jpg

kwc-xfive14.jpg

kwc-xfive15.jpg

Specifications

With a loaded magazine and CO2 12g cartridge, the X-FIVE weights 2 lbs 10 oz (1.19 Kg)

I loaded it up with .25g BB's (no .20's on hand - I don't really use them) and inserted a CO2 cartridge. I fired off a magazine and then ran the CO2 dry. It seems to get almost two magazines before the power drops off noticeably.

With the MadBull Chronograph I was reading 362 to 391 FPS with .25's (not good news to those in the UK) and it was all over the pace (between 360 and 390) with each shot. Not a smooth downward slope. Towards the end of the CO2 it was down to 300 fps (after re-loading.)

Conclusion

With an all metal body and slide, this X-FIVE impressed me with its weight and feel. My only other KWC is an older plastic P99 and I am not too impressed with its build quality. This one seems to be much better, but not up to KWA/TM quality. It seems to be skirmishable, but I won't get to test that out until next weekend. I am going to see if the screw cap for the CO2 on the magazine stays put with 21 hours of fielding this gun. There is a spare that is included in the box, so maybe this was a concern of KWC?

Paint is even and smooth and trades are crisp but painted on. One small detail is that KWC did a nice job on the front strap checkering.

I will post more after I have had a chance to skirmish with it.

One note - after just a few days, and about 8 mags of test firing, the paint on the chamber area of the outer barrel, as well as the slide rails on the frame are both showing wear already.

You can actually, and quite easily convert this to a true SA only gun seeing as its a Marui clome (clone but not really). You just grind down the part of the transfer bar that engages the hammer in DA. Too bad about mag compatibility though. What about everything else? Can you interchange the slide and frame with a Marui/KJW?

• 5 weeks later...

I have fielded it at two games now. Since I only have the one magazine, it has seen limited use. So far it has been working fine. No failures, and I get just about two magazines of BB's per 12g CO2.

As for the real steel grips - real X-FIVE grips are in the $200 USD price range. The frame is also different from the stock P226, so I don't think anyone is really going to buy grips at twice the price of the gun--at least not in the near future.

Also, as a correction to my original post, the instructions say this is the "KCB Model 70 series" and this model, the X-FIVE Tactical is the KCB 71.

Edited by BaltimoreCS