Do you remove your fuse?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Do you remove your fuse?

• Yes
    • No
    • Are you retarded?
    • Why would I do that?
    • How do I do that?

Apply commen sense instead, like STOP PULLING THE BLOODY TRIGGER THEN THE GUN IS NOT RESPONDING OR SOUNDS ODD.

Mmmmm. Never pinched a wire, causing a short then? Or melted a fet? Or had the trigger jam on?

No?

Didn't think so, as releasing the trigger wouldn't save your system in any of those cases but a fuse would.

Either that or swift battery disconnection. :D

Greg.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pinched a wire causing a short? - No, never in the 14 years I have been using and modifying AEGs. But how will you pinch a wire unless you are messing around with something you don't have sufficient knowledge about?

Melted a FET? - sort of, once many years ago, resulting in uncontrolled fire as the MOSFET system did not feature self diagnostic preservation as the new generation of computerized MOSFED trigger systems do today. A fuse would not have prevented the situation occurring, as I still did not draw enough amps for the fuse to blow, extreme humidity and condensation caused a short in the switch device.

Trigger jam? No never, I maintain my guns so this will never occur. Anyway a trigger jam in it self will not cause the fuse to blow. You need both a trigger jam and a simultaneous gearbox lock up in order for the fuse to blow. The trigger jam will only keep the current flowing continuously from battery to motor. As long as this does not excide the fuse limit the gun will continue to fire until there are no more power available. The simple solution is to put your fire selector to SAFE as this will physically brake the connection (unless you run a MOSFET trigger system).

I find that the risks of using LiPO batteries are bigger than running the gun unfused as you need to practice swift battery removal in case of battery overheating.

I don't recommend fuse removal for beginners. But the experienced player should not have the need of a fuse.

Edit: Spelling.

Pinched a wire causing a short? - No, never in the 14 years I have been using and modifying AEGs. But how will you pinch a wire unless you are messing around with something you don't have sufficient knowledge about?

Melted a FET? - sort of, once many years ago, resulting in uncontrolled fire as the MOSFET system did not feature self diagnostic preservation as the new generation of computerized MOSFED trigger systems do today. A fuse would not have prevented the situation occurring, as I still did not draw enough amps for the fuse to blow, extreme humidity and condensation caused a short in the switch device.

Trigger jam? No never, I maintain my guns so this will never occur. Anyway a trigger jam in it self will not cause the fuse to blow. You need both a trigger jam and a simultaneous gearbox lock up in order for the fuse to blow. The trigger jam will only keep the current flowing continuously from battery to motor. As long as this does not excides the fuse limit the gun will continue to fire until there are no more power available. The simple solution is to put your fire selector to SAFE as this will physically brake the connection (unless you run a MOSFET trigger system).

I find that the risks of using LiPO batteries are bigger than running the gun unfused as you need to practice swift battery removal in case of battery overheating.

I don't recommend fuse removal for beginners. But the experienced player should not have a need of it.

Well then, like me, you are happy to suffer the consequences when it all goes terribly wrong. :D

No matter what you do, it will inevitably go wrong but I can tell from your reply you wont be convinced of that.

However, I'm glad to see, that also like me, you recommend that fuses are left in place for those, er, less confident. :unsure:

Greg.

PS: The 'pinching' happens. Particularly when both wires ground on the gearbox, you know what happens next.

Not everyone is 'on' the latest fet/chips & like simpler units, they can overheat & stick 'on'.

& no matter how well you clean your weapon (it's your gun, you can clean it as much as you like.) it will get dirty when you use it. It only takes a leaf or small twig to get into the working of the trigger.

Just because it never happened to you, right? :D

All the above have happened to me & I've seen them happen to others enough times to realize this isn't rare or impossible.

& yup, I run fets & lipos, with no fuses. This is the 'newbie section' & it's just wrong to try to win an argument about not using fuses. :waggle: There could be kids reading. :lol:

Archived