I thought I'd drop a few words about the G&P WOC Viper GBB Rifle I purchased recently from Circuit Airsoft - www.circuit-airsoft.co.uk

As someone who's essentially spent almost all of my adult life in a uniformed occupation carrying weapons of various descriptions ranging from the FN L1A1 SLR, back in the early eighties right through to the current A3 version of the L85, when I decided I wanted to GBB M4 I knew that realism in physical operation and appearance was high on my agenda for an airsoft weapon.

When researching the options available to me, a big factor being the obvious cost implication of the purchase; I realised the systema and inokatsu options were out of my price range but G&P were offering a fully upgraded M4 variant for what I considered to be a reasonable price. Having researched a little more, I decided that was good enough for my needs.

I was fortunate (and I mean that in a very real sense) to have made contact with Jason Swift and his company Circuit Airsoft. Through several emails and a couple of telephone calls, I was happy the rifle available on their website was the one for me. Now, I could have bought on line but I'm a bit old-school, and prefer to deal with people rather than the click of a submit button, so I arranged to travel the 88 miles to see Jason and pick up the rifle and ancillaries personally.

I have to say that customer service is often shocking here in the UK and equally often leaves me feeling like I want to shout at shop staff for being uninterested in their customers, that said there would be none of that when dealing with Circuit Airsoft. I must say that their attention to detail is very inspiring and the amount of service you get when dealing with this company is probably some of the best I've experienced. And whilst I may well be blowing smoke up Circuit's skirt at the moment, it doesn't change the fact that what I'm saying is actually very true.

Anyway, enough of me praising Circuit Airsoft.

The Rifle:

As I said earlier, I've spent a lot of my adult life working with weapons systems of various types so, when getting my hands on the G&P M4 Viper of the first time I was very impressed with the build quality and fit of the various components. The weight and feel reminded me instantly of a real M4. I'd brought with me my ACOG and immediately fitted that. I'd chosen to swap out the standard stock for a Magpul PTS MOE (commercial size) which was an instant drop in replacement which took about 15 seconds ! Whilst putting the world to rights and having several different conversations with Jason I was merrily fitting the laser and rail guards (both bought from Circuit Airsoft) and then having the opportunity to test fire the weapon to make sure everything was functioning as it should. For me, this was worth the 160 mile round trip.

I haven't had the opportunity to take photos of the rifle at the time of writing however I will add a couple to this post/thread very soon.

In addition to the rifle, I also purchased several other items from Circuit's stock:

Additional magazines

5.11 Range bag

Glock 17 Fobus holster and mag carry

Couple of single point slings

Whilst this thread and forum is specifically for GBB reviews I must say that the quality of the kit sold from Circuit Airsoft really is some of the best I've seen and its obvious that Circuit's policy is only selling decent kit.

I'll post a couple of pictures and additional info ASAP

Dave

TTS

Hi mate..

The hop up is internal this requires inner barrel removal, on this weapon we've been lucky in that it's already pretty much spot on (well not enough out to really bother about).

The weapon is fully stripable as per a real M4 variant, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "lower part of the rail", if by that you mean the lower receiver, then yes it does, if you referred to the lower rail (RIS) then no it isn't.

What I really like about the RIS config is that it removes absolutely any possibility of wobble between the rail and weapon body, this thing is rock solid.

I've been putting the rifle through its paces this morning, I've fired about 5 mags worth on selective fire and about three on auto without any drama, local temp this morning was around 12-14 degrees (typical *suitcasey* UK weather) using green gas.

When I picked up the weapon from Circuit Airsoft, it was apparent that the manufacturers ship these weapons without much lubricant, in fact I was hard pressed to find any and there's a lot of metal to metal surface contact with the working parts, so, without telling anyone to suck eggs here, if you get one of these, make sure you apply plenty of silicone grease between the charging handle rod and the (inner) upper receiver, over and under the bolt carrier assembly and within the buffer tube. then supplement that with silicone spray on springs and other mechanicals.

Because these weapons aren't subject to carbon build-up and other ###### usually associated with real world use, I'm not sure at this point how often the weapon will require re-lubing. When I've used the weapon for a few more times I'll assess how the lube is handling the workload.

Dave

TTS

www.tactical-training-solutions.net

In answer to your question.

Milspec buffer tube diameter is larger than Commercial size, G&P use commercial sized buffer tubes hence milspec shouldn't fit.

The PTS Stock on the rifle now is a perfect fit.

ctrstockspecs.jpg

I recommend using non-silicone lube in these guns. Silicone oils and greases will lube your gun until you start to use it. any amount of dust will start to turn your silicone oil into a sludgy paste. There are tons of plastic safe lubricants out there that perform well, there's no reason not to use one.

So this is a competition of what exactly ?

It's not a competition, just placing the correct information out there. I saw your post, it contradicted everything I was told so far but I never researched it before, I did a quick google search and there you have it.

Thanks for that info Dave, thought that before since all DD Literails are one-piece

without removeable bottomrail ...was just hoping that G&P have found a clever way somehow

to adjust HU without a PITA trough the venting holes of the RAS :huh:

DOC

Afaik, the whole stock issue is a little different.

When TM made their first Armalite-AEG, they basically copied the milspec-buffer tube. However, to prevent accusations of making guns that could be converted to be - in part or fully - used for real ammunitions(remember these were among the first AEGs ever made, and also what happened to Tanaka last year), they made certain modifications, such as a slightly shorter front set and a slightly thinner buffer tube (similar to the reason why all WA-spec M4 bodies are about 5mm shorter than RS). When others, like CA and later G&P, KA etc started copying the TM Armalite, they also copied this "TM-spec" buffer tube. However, most stocks, since there was no TM to copy from, where copied from real milspec dimensions. Which is why roughly 90% of all stocks wobble on AEG stock tubes.

Noteworthy exceptions to this rule are VFC and Magpul stocks. Instead of just blindly copying RS stock dimensions, causing the stock to rattle and wobble, they used the "TM-spec" sizing for the stock's inner diameter. Which means any VFC or PTS stock will fit any AEG buffer tube like a glove.

The problem began with the GBBs. Since there the buffer tube is no longer just a dummy holding the stock, but an actual part of the firing operation, it had to have a larger inner diameter. To my knowlege, both G&P and WE use milspec dimensions.

Now try any aftermarket AEG stock, say a G&P or King Arms on your GBB buffer tube. It'll fit perfectly fine. Back on any given AEG it will wobble.

TM, VFC or PTS stocks, however won't wobble (or just barely wobble) on an AEG, but are hard to jam onto any given GBB buffer tube...because they're "TM-spec"

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...