Too much kit?

SoSwift

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sombody mentioned knee pads.ive neved found aset that dont become shin/ ankle pads after doin anyhting s energetic as standing up from a seat.

if i"m not wearing my OPS trousers i wear a pair of cheap a*s chinese knee pads but to avoid the "ankle warmer" effect i cross the straps behind my knees top strap to bottom and bottom to top , no sliping going on of eny sort .

To address the knee pad problem, you could also sew small loops onto the back of your trousers and run the knee pads' straps through them before fastening them.

In that case they are guaranteed to stay on no matter what. Although personally, I've never had that problem. Not with the Alta ones and not even with the Condor ones.

Or you have bad knees, like some of us do. Or you just like to keep your kit consistent because you don't know what you'll run into.

I've only had very rare problems with my Hatch pads slipping. After a full day they can start to pinch a bit, but they stay in place if you wear 'em right.

Or you have bad knees, like some of us do. Or you just like to keep your kit consistent because you don't know what you'll run into.

I've only had very rare problems with my Hatch pads slipping. After a full day they can start to pinch a bit, but they stay in place if you wear 'em right.

Fair point, but I'm very skinny and I've only ever wanted pads on metalled roads, gravel tracks or in urban/CQB. I do think for the average airsoft player knee pads are unnecessary in a nice little wood.

If you need knee pads for woodland, you need to man up.

Put on forty pounds of muscle and put on forty pounds of gear. Then try hitting the ground with your knee while running in order to get into a shooting stance. Then come back and tell me who needs to "man up."

If you need knee pads for woodland, you need to man up.

You do realize that there may be rocks under that harmless, soft looking leaf, or there might me tree roots sticking out from the ground. Planting a knee in a hurry on that and it's bound to sting a bit. I remember a guy said that he planted his knee down and it turned out to be right on a rock, well his knee cap cracked or something. Manning up will not make bones harder... And as you should know, *suitcase* happens, no matter how unexpected it might be so having some kind of knee protection in a woodland environment is a very good idea...

Potentially trashing your knees for some far fetched sense of masculinity? Maybe you should read up.

Not saying everyone needs knee pads, but a statement like that? Come on.

That's precisely WHY I wear knee pads. To protect the weak areas of my body.

Read up.

Fair enough I take it back.

EDITED TO ADD: Was going by the (misplaced) assumption that players wouldn't be carrying a lot of kit, going by my own load out waggle.gif i'm not a fan of carrying +30lb on my back, having had to carry PRC-351 radios on exercise in addition to webbing, kevlar and personal weapon so I go lightweight smile.gif Yeah, there were times when a knee pad would have been nice - in rural areas - when I was doing the radio operator role.

A knee pad on my right knee proved itself most useful when I did a patrol with 40kg of kit on my back down a main road - I kid you not - webbing 7kg, bergen 20kg, day sack 5 kg, radio 8kg, plus personal weapon 5kg. Taking a knee at halts was eased by that little Viper knee pad under my CS'95s.

The point I was trying to make was that if you felt the need to have a knee pad in a nice little wood without any significant weight on you, then you have issues. My bad, evidently a misplaced thought, thanks for the constructive comments.

signal319

The point I was trying to make was that if you felt the need to have a knee pad in a nice little wood without any significant weight on you, then you have issues.

Then you're a tool.

Sharp things on the ground. You can quite quickly cripple yourself if you go to a kneel on top of a half-buried rock, regardless of how much kit you're not wearing. Well done on a halfbaked, idiotic argument. I'm sure you make the rest of the CCF proud.

Back to the original topic...

I use an RRV with my assault rifles, with the MBSS type back pack/hydro carrier. Mounted is:

1x admin pouch

1x double M4 mag

1X double M4 with 4x attached pistol mag carrier

1x smoke grenade pouch for my grenade shaped gas carrier

1x dump pouch

1x MBITR radio pouch

1x drop leg tornado holster

I can carry extra bbs and loaders in the pack, as well as any food or other stuff. If I'm using an M203, I add a Tactical Tailor bandolier belt. The whole loadout is light weight, but gives me the ability to carry as much or as little as I could want. I have no trouble feeling hits.

I use a Condor Modular Chest Set with my M249. I have the following on it:

1x SAW drum pouch

1x double pistol mag pouch

1x short radio pouch

1x utility pouch

1x drop leg tornado

This is another light weight, breathable rig. I keep a bare minimum of stuff on it, as the SAW provides plenty of weight to lug around. The integrated hydro on the back keeps the front from sagging down and the molle straps mean that I can keep my radio up high on my shoulder and away from snagging my sling.

Try taking a one-knee stance on hard earth littered with spent BBs and your opinions about knee pads and masculinity will quickly fade.

Sorry, I'd rather be a *beep* who is highly stable and is thus able to take out more targets than a tough guy is is fidgeting constantly and thus is not able to do the same.

The kill count by the end of the day tells all.

Archived