Dan Gilliam- Unrepetent scammer back at large.

Evening all.

I'm just putting the word out from over at Zeroin, where a little while ago we had trouble with a notorious scammer named Dan Gilliam.

Under several different forum names Dan defrauded several members out of several hundred pounds, by selling RIFs, taking payment, then never sending them on. He did attempt to do the same on this forum but the mods stomped him during some pretty unsubtle post count bumping.

Thanks to some tireless private investigation by a couple of our forum users with the assistance of the Zeroin mods Dan was finally tracked and reported to the police, who arrested him apparently in the process of wiping his hard drives.

However, despite the several cases against him something has apparently gone awry and, if he is to be believed, the Police have dropped the charges, probably due to the lack of evidence coming from deleting his hard drives.

This evening Dan rejoined zeroin and essentially stuck two fingers up to the forum boasting that he'd got away with it. That he had defrauded the users is not in question. He is without a doubt a committed, unrepentant scammer.

He used to frequent First and Only sites but apparently he has been banned for his activities. I urge any site owner who comes into contact with him to follow their example and get rid of him. He's a disgrace to UK airsoft in general.

In case he tries to come back here, he is known to use the pseudonyms canman, DanGilliam, Filth, Gemma, gillahouse, Godskitchen, pink_gsxr, Spider Dan, Tiesto, Deadmau5, E73045, SpaceCake, Btec, Stuntman, stuntman2, Batman, superman, TaNgO_XP, tangoxp.

Guns he tends to advertise are often ARES UMPs, STAR L85s and A&K SR25s.

I've ok'd this post with Marlowe, and hopefully the forums can co-operate and make sure this guy doesn't drag down our sport any more than he already has.

Evening all.

I'm just putting the word out from over at Zeroin, where a little while ago we had trouble with a notorious scammer named Dan Gilliam.

Under several different forum names Dan defrauded several members out of several hundred pounds, by selling RIFs, taking payment, then never sending them on. He did attempt to do the same on this forum but the mods stomped him during some pretty unsubtle post count bumping.

Thanks to some tireless private investigation by a couple of our forum users with the assistance of the Zeroin mods Dan was finally tracked and reported to the police, who arrested him apparently in the process of wiping his hard drives.

However, despite the several cases against him something has apparently gone awry and, if he is to be believed, the Police have dropped the charges, probably due to the lack of evidence coming from deleting his hard drives.

This evening Dan rejoined zeroin and essentially stuck two fingers up to the forum boasting that he'd got away with it. That he had defrauded the users is not in question. He is without a doubt a committed, unrepentant scammer.

He used to frequent First and Only sites but apparently he has been banned for his activities. I urge any site owner who comes into contact with him to follow their example and get rid of him. He's a disgrace to UK airsoft in general.

In case he tries to come back here, he is known to use the pseudonyms canman, DanGilliam, Filth, Gemma, gillahouse, Godskitchen, pink_gsxr, Spider Dan, Tiesto, Deadmau5, E73045, SpaceCake, Btec, Stuntman, stuntman2, Batman, superman, TaNgO_XP, tangoxp.

Guns he tends to advertise are often ARES UMPs, STAR L85s and A&K SR25s.

I've ok'd this post with Marlowe, and hopefully the forums can co-operate and make sure this guy doesn't drag down our sport any more than he already has.

Can you link us to the thread where you say he's basically admitted his guilt?

Also, a quick google search with "Dan Gilliam airsoft" brings up a shed load of forums that have also put the word out.

I also found this where he says he has been the victim of ID theft - http://www.manc-as.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=7606&pid=53474&mode=threaded&show=&st=0

SpaceCake

Hopefully the feds will catch him on his way back from picking up a 1/4 with stolen money, going by that alias.

Just goes to show the 100 post count is here for a very good reason, and that sales on this forum are far less risky than they are on Zeroin.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, he's up to his old tricks again using the names 'al g' and 'revolver' on zeroin.

The balls/stupidity of this guy is incredible. He's escaped jail once and is doing the same thing again. There are now a growing number of rather ###### off people wanting to pay him a visit.

• 3 months later...

Bit of and old thread but I think it's worth keeping an eye on this guy.

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/get-off-your-chest/96121-introdution-case-study-scamming.html#post293223

The above link is another discussion about the eponymous scammer that I wrote. The spell checked version is below in full.

"I was hunting around the net for info on a certain scammer, and the thread below popped up.

daystate huntsman 177. Classic

I have direct experience of dealing with Dam Gilliam and I thought it might be of interest to some of you how the whole process of pursuing someone for theft/fraud via the net works (or doesn't).

October 2009 I put some bits and bobs up for sale/trade, clearing unused kit. A few days later I got some interest from a bidder who turned out to be the above Dan Gilliam of Dudley fame.

I did what you normally do, discussed the items seemed genuine and knowledgeable. Searched around for bad comments on the bidder, nothing back - but a false name does that. Agreed to trade and exchanged details.

I shipped my stuff by registered courier and tracked it. Once it showed up as delivered I contacted him to see if it was okay and when I could expect my stuff.

Yes he fobbed me off immediately with an excuse for not posting, so I went looking again and about this time was contacted by another forum member who'd seen the sales post and hooked me up with Dan's old scams and details.

I then went looking for more info on the net and the other chap contacted some more people he'd ripped off. In all about eight across various forums.

We all pooled our info and reported him to Netherton Police. Shortly about a week later I was contacted by "PC Sandu" - I only ever spoke to him on the phone so not 100% on spelling.

In order to build a case I had to provide statements and evidence. I also learned that Dan had been investigated (and possibly convicted once) in 2007/2008 and was a seasoned scammer. In all this time he's been able to use the same IP and physical address.

Getting the evidence to Birmingham was a pain. I went to my local Police station but they didn't want to take a statement without a fax from west Midlands Police. However I was pretty insistent and I got an appointment a few days later. In the end I had to go back three times over several months and provided a fully statement, Dan's contact details, the email/PM traffic, description of goods, tracking and record of delivery.

The PC from West Midlands was actually very helpful and keen - as much as you can be over the phone but eventually the CPS dropped my case in the middle of this year. As far as I know a couple of others were still proceeding.

Despite having all the documentation, emails and tracking my case was dropped. I was told this was because when the delivery was made it was signed for by a neighbor/someone else in the house not the addressed recipient. When the Police investigated that person refused to give a statement so the CPS would not pursue a criminal case.

Therefore if you have to use a courier, I'd suggest a service that is contacted to deliver to a named person only.

Currently I have taken Dan Gilliam to court privately. The case was undefended and I am waiting for the decision on payment. He obviously has the funds to still be trading/ripping people off across the net. If he objects to immediate payment I will cite this as evidence against him.

I would be interested in any update of his current whereabouts although I believe he is still in Dudley.

Thoughts on:

Police - West Midlands, pretty helpful. More clued up on internet fraud than my local Force. The actual PC's in my area were okay, getting through the admin to see one was a pain as they did not seen very joined up in their communications. This was multiplied when dealing with separate Forces. They did try though.

CPS - Maybe there hands are tied legally but I thought the fact that someone simply refusing to give a statement basically ending the case was pathetic.

HM Courts online - Actually pretty straight forward if you already have all the details to had. Remember they do not contact you back, it's up to you to keep following the case.

I'd have preferred it Dan Gilliam was prosecuted, just because there are probably dozens (or more) people out there who he has gotten away with ripping off. And he will be free to continue to do so.

I'm tempted to pass his details to the HMRC as he effectively running an undeclared business, but that might bring to much pain on everyone else's heads."

Archived