FN SCAR Picture thread

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys,

I wrote this up for someone asking me about the Echo 1 SCAR H and I thought I might as well post it here if anyone else is looking.

The ECHO 1 SCAR-H has been interesting. Out of the box, it was not ready for a game. The hop-up had some issues where after every shot, it would reset. That just needed a lock washer (I took one off the gear box which is a nice addition). Also, the ambi-magazine release was messed up. Basically, the left hand side of the release did not have a strong enough spring and thus the magazine would not get locked in. I added a strong spring I had laying around and that fixed it.

One thing I did that broke the nozzle was try to take the receivers apart after shooting it full auto. Apparently the nozzle was still in the hop up unit and broke. Thats my mistake but something you should be aware of if you strip the gun after a game. Make sure to dry fire it on semi auto first.

Once those things were fixed (annoying little things) it has been fine for games. Chronos at 398-402 which is perfect for my fields though I usually am asked to shoot 10 BBs rather than the usual 3 so the refs can get a feel for the 400fps average. I have put in a new inner barrel because I thought that was the problem when the BBs were going almost 30 ft with the hop up maxed. I cannot speak for the original at this point though the issue was actually the hop-up.

One issue that seems to be forming is the stock. The piece that binds the stock to the metal receiver is made of a light weight plastic. Mine appears to have deformed slightly over some use. This isnt a big issue but the stock now has even more play than it did before. They really used some *suitcase* polymers for the stock.

The gear box is pretty easy to take apart and they use a short stroke piston which is nice. That said, putting the rest of the gun together is a royal pain in the *albatross*. Basically I was able to take it apart and replace the nozzle in about five minutes. I got the gear box together in another five or so. Then matching the ambi selector (gears and arms and *suitcase* like that) took almost two hours. The parts need to be timed correctly then slid into a groove which further rotates the gears such that things dont line up... absolute ###### set up. Basically, make sure youre in a good, calm, mood if you ever need to repair the thing. That said, everything else seemed to be of good quality so I cant guess what would break first or when.

The motor might be weak but I havent cared to swap it yet. I used a lipo on the scar and its fire rate is almost half that of my G&G V2 M4. However, the SCAR has a stronger spring I believe so that could be a contributing factor assuming different gear ratios.

In a nutshell... At $160 on ASGI, the D Boys Scar H is a good buy. At $260 for the Echo 1, I would look at something else. Perhaps if they had better quality plastics in the stock and a better design for the fire selector (or at least an option to only have one side of the selector work) it would be worth it but short of the FPS, it falls short of all competitive V2 based guns.

That said, if you like the SCAR-H/EGLM look (why I bought it) then there is no replacement and this thing will work. It just has its own list of annoyances.

If anyone has leads on a better stock, please let me know!

Edited by QDRenegade

Quick question for all you VFC SCAR-L owners.

Which brand of hicap mags fit and feed right? My gf has just bought herself one and only has the one mag it came with.

If there is a type of mag thats easily available and comes in tan that'd be awesome, if not, I feel an import coming on and that's not a route i wanna go down as customs are stopping accessories now too. :(

I'm not sure if WE SCAR stock hinge bases have the proper openings for wiring; obviously modifications can be made. As far as replacements go, I've seen VFC spares at Evike.

Already purchased one! Thanks for the lead mate

eta: there look to be aftermarket stocks for the SCAR. with slight modification Im sure I can make one work. That said, can anyone speak for their quality?

Edited by QDRenegade
  • 2 weeks later...

What mag is that? or is it a mod?

they are tangodown ARC mags, got them from here http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/andax-works-tango-down-arc-magazine-box-set-for-we-m4-gbb-de.html

excellent mags, fit my m4's and scars very well. (they are just the shells, you need WE mags already) although ive just noticed they do them for the PTW complete.

Edited by Jimmypie

Plan on doing any external 'upgrades' on the TM scar?

Things I have on the way:

Magpul MS2 1/2 Point Sling

Magpul XTM Rail Covers

G&P Aimpoint with L-mount.

Things I plan to add later:

M900 (?) Foregrip/Flashlight

Some Brand Aimpoint flip-to-side Magnifier.

That should be it I reckon. Might spray it at a later date but not until it starts looking shabby :)

edit- I'd like to add a magpul grip, but as far as I'm aware theyre not compatible with the TM..

Edited by hardboiledcop