FN SCAR Picture thread

As I can't edit and group my post together with the one above, I'll start a new one.

HadalRaven and others, I've taken a pic of the A2 sight along with the stock SCAR sights to try and co-witness them together, so that any height difference between the A2 and the stock sights will be shown. Here's the picture:

20120625_164348.jpg

The picture was damn hard to take with my phone as I'm touching the phone's screen rather than a button...and the Galaxy SII isn't exactly easy to hold given it's thin dimensions :( Nonetheless, from this picture I hope you'll be able to make out the A2 aperture just below the front post of the front flip up sight.

For this pic, I placed the A2 sight in the middle like so:

20120625_164406.jpg

I actually have no idea why the SCAR sights sit higher. Do they do that on the RS or is it just an error on the part of WE?

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I can't edit and group my post together with the one above, I'll start a new one.

HadalRaven and others, I've taken a pic of the A2 sight along with the stock SCAR sights to try and co-witness them together, so that any height difference between the A2 and the stock sights will be shown. Here's the picture:

The picture was damn hard to take with my phone as I'm touching the phone's screen rather than a button...and the Galaxy SII isn't exactly easy to hold given it's thin dimensions :( Nonetheless, from this picture I hope you'll be able to make out the A2 aperture just below the front post of the front flip up sight.

For this pic, I placed the A2 sight in the middle like so:

I actually have no idea why the SCAR sights sit higher. Do they do that on the RS or is it just an error on the part of WE?

I found a RS pic of an AR-15 next to a SCAR 16s. The sights look to be the same height on each gun, but I couldn't really say unless I could find dimensions. I will try to place my carrying handle on my DBOYS SCAR once I get it, then we can compare.

mshr2h.jpg

I found a RS pic of an AR-15 next to a SCAR 16s. The sights look to be the same height on each gun, but I couldn't really say unless I could find dimensions. I will try to place my carrying handle on my DBOYS SCAR once I get it, then we can compare.

You can't compare it via pics unless you can shove a RS sight to the SCAR's RIS to check. As you can tell from my pics, the height difference seem to be a lot when you're trying to co-witness two rear sights and the front together but in reality it's pretty hard to notice the difference without doing what I did (trying to co-witness them or placing the A2 sights onto the SCAR's RIS along with the SCAR's OEM sights raised)

The SCAR sight over bore is higher than the AR.

Is the height over bore due to the RIS's height or the SCAR sight's height or a combo of both? I had initially suspected that the SCAR's sights might even be lower than the standard M4 sights given that in Haley's SCAR video he switched to Troy sights to "clear his DBAL". I only have my own SCAR and I've never held another one before, so I couldn't comment on this other than my own experiences with the WE.

EDIT: btw, anyone know a better image uploading website? With the ton of pics I've uploaded recently Photobucket's been telling me that I have less than 3GB of bandwidth left for this month. I'm considering doing a review of the Apple Airsoft Surefire Brake as well, so I've got a feeling all my pics will be blank very soon :(

Edited by intinerious

How's that light?

Used it on the SCAR at a CQB game on sunday, very happy with it overall. Extremely sturdy construction and a good range of features considering it's less than half the price of a Scout. For a weapon like the SCAR with a chunky front-end where you're not going to be putting your thumb over the top rail the button is in the ideal position really. Similar mounting system to the TLR-1, so it just clamps right on wherever you want it, no having to slide from one end of the rail. Wasn't very bright initially, though admittedly I didn't have any kind of Lumen metre it definitely wasn't putting out 125; I get the feeling the battery may have been in there for a while so a fresh CR123 should sort that out.

Used it on the SCAR at a CQB game on sunday, very happy with it overall. Extremely sturdy construction and a good range of features considering it's less than half the price of a Scout. For a weapon like the SCAR with a chunky front-end where you're not going to be putting your thumb over the top rail the button is in the ideal position really. Similar mounting system to the TLR-1, so it just clamps right on wherever you want it, no having to slide from one end of the rail. Wasn't very bright initially, though admittedly I didn't have any kind of Lumen metre it definitely wasn't putting out 125; I get the feeling the battery may have been in there for a while so a fresh CR123 should sort that out.

Did you have the temp/click on or just the momentary on version?

Dang, no export, cheers!

Just get someone you know in the States to ship you one lol.

Did you have the temp/click on or just the momentary on version?

Click on, which also turns out to have a strobe function which I didn't realise. For the amount I need to use a light (very little) I should've gone for the momentary version really, because at the moment I have to press twice to go from high beam through the lower power option back to off again, which is just slow, inefficient and annoying. But I'm hoping once I actually read the manual I'll find a way to disable the low power beam.

I had initially suspected that the SCAR's sights might even be lower than the standard M4 sights given that in Haley's SCAR video he switched to Troy sights to "clear his DBAL". I only have my own SCAR and I've never held another one before, so I couldn't comment on this other than my own experiences with the WE.

This has nothing to do with height over bore of the flip sights. He switched to troy sights because of where the position of the flip sight was positioned after he added the PWS extention. He mounted his DBAL on the PWS extention part which would get in the way of the original flip sight because it is taller than the rail, even when flipped down thus he had to remove the sight.

IMHO, height over bore is really not an issue with airsoft, or even for most tactical carbines with effective ranges of 300 meters or less.

Since the standard optic is a non-magnified red-dot with a central reticle/dot of 2-6 MOA, the height over bore (which rarely exceeds 4 inches) will not have a noticible effect, the shots would be within the dot's own MOA.

In airsoft the same is true to an even greater extent given the accuracy differences.

The ONLY practical situaiton where height over bore becomes an issue is with extreme close range combat, especially when it happens across a horizontal piece of cover. I've lost count the number of times I've cleared the dot over cover but not the bore, which results in total fail. The alternative is to visually check that I've cleared the cover, which takes time and precludes a popup style attack. Problem gets worse the longer the barrel goes out in front...

This has nothing to do with height over bore of the flip sights. He switched to troy sights because of where the position of the flip sight was positioned after he added the PWS extention. He mounted his DBAL on the PWS extention part which would get in the way of the original flip sight because it is taller than the rail, even when flipped down thus he had to remove the sight.

Ah right...so when he said something like "clear the DBAL" he mean't the location of the DBAL rather than it's height. I get it now :P

Also can someone check wether the TM SCAR can take a standard aftermarket V2 grip? I hate the A2 and the fact that the VFC SCAR cannot take a MOE grip is one of the main reasons why I've not gotten one.

Don't think so IIRC, check the TM SCAR review thread again...I remember people being unable to put a magpul grip on it without some serious modifications.