So, with the new G Wii Power Fan Airsoft Goggles aka eBayBanned NVG Profile Turbofan Goggles out and about... some people may be interested in a comparison between the genuine and the fake.

Here's a quick overview:

I ordered a pair of the replica goggles and waited about a month or so to get it (thanks a bunch EBB). I immediately replaced the lens with my actual ESS Profiles which were a bit of a trick to fit. Then I used it at a couple small events as a photographer.

First event: since I was taking photos, I wasn't really exerting myself much other than walking constantly and jogging every now and then. Fogging was minimal, but I account that to the real ESS lens. Main complaint: the fan is loud as hell on the high setting.

Second event: I arrived about 1/2 an hour after it stopped raining and it was fairly humid. Again, minimal activity such as brisk walking. This time however, the goggles fogged a lot... Water droplets started to form on the inside of the lens. With a cool breeze and tilting my head a little, the fogging subsided.

I believe a remedy for this is to remove the foam. I switched the wires to reverse the fan (the way it should go...) Also, I was able to fit the ESS RX insert without any issue. For ~$36, I was not impressed. For $20 and a bit of luck on eBay, actual ESS NVG Profile performs better, IMO. Coupled with a thermal lens, I would expect very little fogging issues (if the owner takes care of his/her goggles).

About a couple weeks ago, I picked up some real turbofans for crazy cheap ($50) and now onto the comparison. Apparently, my real version is a newer gen. Also, my goggles didn't come with a speed sleeve, nor do I have my old one for my regular ESS NVG Profiles. So I can't really compare those two (as if it really mattered). :D

Real Set:

DSC_0062.jpg

Replica Set:

DSC_0063.jpg

Real on the Left; Replica on the Right

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

With the lens sleeve, there is a difference in length and stitching. The lenses are, as previously found, to have different size holes. I didn not bother to take pictures, but there's also a difference in lens markings too. Real set has "ESS" on it. Replica set has "TIDAL," which you can see backwards on the top edge of the lens in the picture.

wires.jpg

triglide.jpg

strap.jpg

nice review, sounds like the real deal turbofans or nvg's are the way to go. however, I have a couple questions. how does the performance, of the real ess turbofan compare to the clone one, I have heard that the ess turbofans are virtually fog proof under almost all conditions. Is it true? also, how do the real turbofans compare to the real nvg. (non turbofan) finally, could you get a group shot/comparison picture of the three goggles please? once again, great review, it looks as if the real goggles also have much better build quality and quality control. hope you can help me out a little bit here.

I have heard that the ess turbofans are virtually fog proof under almost all conditions. Is it true?

Almost all, yes... If it's extremely humid they will fog up, but turn the fan on high and it usually goes away. Pick up a thermal lens and it'll be nearly fog proof.

how do the real turbofans compare to the real nvg.

Profile NVGs are pretty good even without the fan, especially if you remove the foam from the top and bottom for better airflow. If you have fogging issues still, pick up the turbofans.

Almost all, yes... If it's extremely humid they will fog up, but turn the fan on high and it usually goes away. Pick up a thermal lens and it'll be nearly fog proof.

Profile NVGs are pretty good even without the fan, especially if you remove the foam from the top and bottom for better airflow. If you have fogging issues still, pick up the turbofans.

okay, thanks for the help, I'll see how much $$$ I have, and then decide on which goggle to get. I am thinking that the normal nvg with thermal lenses would work perfect for me. thanks again, and great review.

• 1 year later...

My view on the ESS Turbofan ( real steel ):

I used it once now in very hot and humid weather. I always sweat a lot, but in this weather, sweat poured down my face ( even underneath my goggles ). With the fan on the high setting, they never fogged up, which is a first for me. ( I had the Bolle 800 replicas before, and had lot's of problems with those )

What didn't impress me however, is that I have a faulty contact somewhere inside the electrical wire inside the goggles. There seems to be a connector with shrink-tape around it, and I suspect the problem is there somewhere. When I push a bit on the wire, the fan-speed becomes irregular and slows down... Probably a small problem, but for the price, it shouldn't be there. Hesitating to tackle the problem myself as I don't want to be without goggles for weeks.

As mentioned by others, you feel the weight of the battery on the back. On a helmet, you won't notice, but without helmet you do. You get used to that quickly. I tried wearing my boonie, but that doesn't go. You either have to put the battery ( with the elastic strap ) outside the boonie, and then you look like an old woman with a rain hat, or you put the battery low on the back off your head, and then it has the tendency to slide down.

Build quality: in all honesty, it looks a bit cheaper than it is. Compared to my ( cheaper ) Scott ski-goggles, they look less finished. The tan color is very pale. Not like anything tan I already have.

Finally, the field of vision: very good actually. Only the view down is restricted a bit.

Final verdict: hadn't it been for the false contact, I would be extremely pleased iwth the performance.

Edited by greenbull

Good review. The pictures are a big help for those trying to distinguish between the real deal and the repros.

That being said, have you actually tried the real ones with a thermal lens? You speculate that they would be "fog proof", but have you actually tried it in game at any point?

Im interested in these goggles, but I would need to be absolutely certain theyre going to perform for that kind of money.

A little update on my ESS which had a false contact (for some reason, I can't edit my own post...) : I let ESS know of my problem and asked them if they could give me some technical info so I could tackle the repair myself. Instead they proposed to send me a replacement, which I received in under a week !

Their customer service is first class!

• 3 months later...

Good review.

I have a pair of replicas of these from airsoftclub.com an Hong Kong based store.

Last week ik used them for the first time indoor, they were great for a long time but eventually they started to fog :(

plus: i cant turn the cap of battery department, fully on lock. Cause then the electrical circuit isn't closed. not much off a big deal.

Now I trew off the foam that is underneath en above the airflow holes and i'll see next week if it helps