News - Shootings in Cumbria

Wisey

If we still had a Labour government, there would be a ban or perhaps just even more draconian restrictions being drawn up right now.

As a general comment, humanity is a highly adaptable and incredibly capable race. Tools to harm others have pretty defined whole area's of development and history. When a sane person snaps or a crazy person reaches breaking point, the destruction capability and ability to get around restrictions is nearly boundless.

Put simply, if a person wants to go on a rampage, they can and they will. They will find it fairly easy to get what they need. Be it a car down a highly crowded shopping day or like this man did, use legally held firearms. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Banning things almost never works. Often it makes things a whole lot worse.

Indeed. Wasn't there an incident a couple years back of some nut job going round stabbing people? Killed 1 person and severly injured several more before getting taser zapped and generally kicked to *fruitcage* off the rozzers. South East I think it was....

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the most retarded comment since the dawn of mankind goes to some numpty on the BBC website!

Those in the UK who keep guns (except the police and security forces) should be shown on a current publicly viewable data-base showing the name and recent photograph of those holding the firearms, their licensing police officer/station and other relevant details including full details of their monitoring officer and a confidential publicly accessible telephone number for making representations on their fitness to hold firearms.

Brilliant, a database of where criminals can go steal guns and ammo from should they wish to!

Another great one;

For example.

Hold all the private guns in a central office. Released by signature and witness by responsible staff. The user could then be accompanied on the use of the gun, by a responsible person, before it is signed back. Constant communication could be maintained,use,location etc, while the gun is (safe)in use.

Had this been done, this massacre of innocents would not have happened.

I don't buy the whole spree killing thing either. There must have been some sort of pre-meditation as a spree killing would generally take place around the same place that the first killings took place if they are random. They wouldn't drive for miles and then shoot another random person.

According to one of the papers this morning he had been hit with a £100K Tax bill after dodging tax for the last 2 decades. Odd trigger, why did just didn't top himself but decided to take others with him will probably remain a mystery.

I've been listening to radio two again (BBC), and some of the sugguestions are quite stupid and don't take into account that you are singeling out people in the local community, as if gun possession means you're prone to commit acts of crime (Murder etc). One sugguestion was that neighbours could report to ploice if a gun owner was acting suspicious (How that would be determined, I have no idea). Anyone remember when a group of people mistook a pediatrician for a peadophile (Sorry about the spelling, spell check gave me sugguestions that I couldn't assertain which, was the right one)?

Also, I love how thy said that if this person was on a database, these murders could have been avoided, how might I ask. No-one has yet to say how this database could have prevented these crimes from being commited. There is only one person at fault here, and he is dead. As such, will shall never know why he wanted to kill so many people (Strangers or not).

Its as if people want someone to blame, point the finger at. Of course, nothing has been said as to wether a database will be set up, or if indeed it will be accessable by anyone/everyone.

I feel so sorry, for the familys and victums, and, to an extent (For the panic that some people are displaying), people who have fire arms and may now feel targets of hate (Not that am saying, I know for a fact that they are, but listening to viewers aponions, there are definitly some poeple out there that see fire arm owners as wannabe criminals).

For god's sake, there are some pathetic suggestions on that page.

The Database is a particularly great idea, if you're a criminal looking to get hold of things that go bang, you would know the persons address and what they look like.

I don't want to sound insensative to the tragedy, but it has got people discussing the state of the UK's gunlaws, it's a shame that it tooks something like this. I hope that if anything comes out of this that there could be a sensible public debate about the laws and not just a reactionary measure as per Dunblane and the handgun ban.

Britian's gunlaws just don't work.

My sympathies are with those families who have lost relatives.

Shouldn't we ban people like Harold then, or am I using a very small situation to make my self look good in the area of trying to pretend to protect our great land!

Ph and by the way, if the government decides to go a head with letting the public know who owns a gun license for there own safety, I would also like to know the following to preotect my fellow citizens, of such crimes...

People commited of burglary, attempted rape, theft, etc (For if we did know, surely we could also prevent crime, if we had acess to who lived next door we could prevent crime with knowing who are criminals next door!). Or are we as a society to easily lead inot a situation of witch hunting to be left with information of crimanls or people who have commited crime.

Food for thought, there is a reason why getting into the police involves a test, testing.

Nice to see that knee-jerk reactionism is still alive and well.

"More people get killed by guns in countries where more guns are present"

Well, there's a shocker!

I'm sure they'll soon figure out that people are fatter in countries where there's more food too.

Seems, to me, that it might be better to look at reasons why we have societies which can drive people to the point where they think this is their only option.

I know, from personal experience of dealing with debt collection and tax agencies, that sometimes you might as well try and reason with a plank of wood.

Right now, I wonder if there's a spotty little jumped-up tw*t lying in bed feeling guilty cos a couple of days ago he told Derrick Bird "There's nothing I can do. Either pay the money or we'll take legal action"?

Course, trying to unscramble the brains of a whole society is a lot messier and a more thankless task than simply banning some arbitrary item and hoping for the best.

Sorry stealth, I hope my post wasn't a knee jerk reaction post, it was more me venting spleen if you get me. I have just turned 31, and most people I have talked to regarding letting everyone know who was a weapon/firearm, has agreed it would be a bad idea!

Sorry stealth, I hope my post wasn't a knee jerk reaction post, it was more me venting spleen if you get me. I have just turned 31, and most people I have talked to regarding letting everyone know who was a weapon/firearm, has agreed it would be a bad idea!

I was talking about all the "ban pointy sticks" nonsense. ;)

"More people get killed by guns in countries where more guns are present"

Well, there's a shocker!

I'm sure they'll soon figure out that people are fatter in countries where there's more food too.

Not only that, but it isn't nessecerily true.

Switzerland for example, or New Zealand.

Read in the guardian that ministers have dismissed any proposals for "kneejerk gun laws", and I'm inclined to believe that, what with the tories in govt etc.

Who was in power for the knee jerk reaction to Hungerford and Dunblane?

Archived