Help me identify a game.

Stealthbomber

I bought a bunch of games while I was abroad last year and I've lent some of them out to friends.

I did install this on my PC but, alas, I wiped the HDD and now I can't recall what it was so I don't even know what to call it when I ask if any of my mates have still got it.

It was a pretty new military-themed RTS game but the emphasis was on unit control rather than resource gathering and manufacturing.

The tutorial levels went something like this...

You started off with a wide view of a military training base which consisted of a couple of hangars, a couple of runways and some office buildings.

The base was set in the middle of a hilly lansdcape and there was an abandoned village at one end of the base.

You took control of 4 marines and ordered them to do stuff such as enter a building, enter a vehicle, attack an opfor and move to checkpoints.

There was then a tutorial which covered artillery strikes against a bunch of tanks as they moved toward the village just outside the training base.

I think (but I'm not completely sure) that the game storyline was something about somebody invading America.

I vaguely recall that the first mission (as far as I got) involved you being in a port and having to take out a bunch of enemy forces who were controlling the port.

Once you completed that mission I think you got orders to move your troops further into the city in order to complete some other mission objective.

I really only installed the game to see if it'd run properly on my PC so I don't know much about the missions.

Does that sound familiar to anybody?

Anybody have any idea what game it might have been?

Sounds familiar, World In Conflict?

I just had a look on google.

I didn't see any pictures that I recognised (stupid as it might sound, I don't recall the box art at all) but the graphics look like they're the same style.

I'm almost certain that's it. Thanks. :)

At least I now know what to pester people about in the boozer later.

World in conflict is the one where the russians invade the US west coast right?

I played a few hours of that but RTS aren't really my thing.

Its a modern day or "20 minutes into the future" setting (you forgot to mention era)

As you play you earn "strategy points" or similar and you spend those on CAS and artillery.

rifleman units have a secondary option to use 40mms that take a short time to regenerate and you have to tell them to use it.

did you only command the tropps and not shoot ?

i think there was a game called 'full spectrum warrior' where you spent most of your time telling your squad how to compelte the missions, rather than doing it yourself. i never played it, but remember it for the odd way the game played.

sounds exactly the same as the WIC tutorial, the hangars, the village, the tanks, the arillery tutorial. although WIC is set in the late 80s, not modern day.

its an awesome game, only let down IMO by the appalling draw distance for enemy units. enemy tanks appearing out of thin air spoiled it a bit for me

This really reminded me of Act Of War. Did the units have many gadgets and stuff like that? I remember some infantry had the ability to launch small hovering UAVs. Pretty distinct feature.

Bit off-topic, but Act of War is also a great Game - have you tried the add-on "High Treason"? The Naval Battles are pretty cool, with Cruise Missiles, CIWS Systems, Subs, Aircraft Carriers etc etc...

Archived