Marine Load Outs

FartSnatcher

Here's a USMC-themed pic I took over the weekend:

DSCN0023.sized.jpg

Wow, thumbs up. At first I thought it's a professional photo

taken in a studio and with real steal stuff.

How did you get the perfect lighting and high resolution?

You mind to tell us your photo equipment?

Well done.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, thumbs up. At first I thought it's professional photos

taken in a studio and with real steal stuff.

How did you get the perfect lighting and high resolution?

You mind to tell us your photo equipment?

Well done.

Thanks. :) Though I don't feel the lighting is perfect myself, if anything there are a few hot spots I should have corrected. ;)

For a camera, I usually use my Nikon CoolPix 5700, which is 5MP. Sometimes I use a Nikon D70 (6.1MP) or a Canon Digital Rebel XT (8MP), both digital SLRs (and both borrowed from work). I really like the Canon, it seems to just effortlessly take awesome pictures. I'm considering selling my Nikon and buying one.

For lighting, right now I use a couple of clamp lamps I picked up at the hardware store. They're pretty cheap and very handy to have around in gernal. I use GE Reveal 100w bulbs in them. You could use higher or lower wattage as needed. I like the reveal bulbs, their quality of light is really great for a regular light bulb.

What I need is a good way to diffuse the light sometimes, to try and eliminate the hot spots you'll get with direct light. I have a few ideas for this, but I haven't tried them yet.

One thing you can do to get more indirect light is to bounce it off a sheet of foam core, which you can buy at any craft shop or office supply store. It's cheap and you can cut it down to any size you need. It's also great for taking pictures on, if you just need a simple white background. You can set two of them up, one as the floor and one as the back to give you a pretty seamless white space.

I avoid using a flash whenever possible, it tends to adversely affect the color, and rarely gets the look I want. I prefer to use a tripod and a longer exposure with fixed lighting.

Yep, the MOD II is awesome. I just wish I could get it in coyote brown.

MarineDEP, is that a MICH? Where'd you get the cover if you don't mind my asking?

I won a couple on ebay (one of each, woodland and desert) but the guy hasn't contacted me at all, even after I asked him for a total (he didn't give the shipping amount in the auction). :angry: He's got 100% feedback so I'm sure it will work out though.

Yep, the MOD II is awesome. I just wish I could get it in coyote brown.

MarineDEP, is that a MICH? Where'd you get the cover if you don't mind my asking?

I won a couple on ebay (one of each, woodland and desert) but the guy hasn't contacted me at all, even after I asked him for a total (he didn't give the shipping amount in the auction). :angry: He's got 100% feedback so I'm sure it will work out though.

It's a real deal PASGT helmet, with SDS 3-point chin strap (give it the LWH look). The helmet cover I got at my local army navy. It's the issue Reversable one PASGT/LWH only though.

Cool. It's tough to tell which helmet it is when the cover is on sometimes, depending on the strap. I haven't seen reversible versions for the MICH so I was curious. The description for the set I bought on ebay claims they'll fit the MICH though, hope it works out. He claims they're issue and will have the EGA in the print, but that remains to be seen I guess. Figured 100% feedback, worth a shot for the price.

The Guarder MOD II (I think that's it) is pretty cheap ($80 or so) compared to a Weesatch ($165-180) and other real steel vests.

I think it's a good alternative, and I think I might be getting one! All thanks to staticzero.

TBH I would go with the weestach over the mod vest. With the mod vest you need to buy pouches. With the weesatch you already have the abaility to hold 12 m16 mags. Just my opnion, maby I see it that way because I can afford the real deal kit. :unsure:

:Dr_Evil:

TBH I would go with the weestach over the mod vest. With the mod vest you need to buy pouches. With the weesatch you already have the abaility to hold 12 m16 mags. Just my opnion, maby I see it that way because I can afford the real deal kit.  :unsure:

I see what you mean. I can afford the weesatch, but I dont know if I could buy any pouches for it afterwards (maybe like 2 or something). If I order the Guarder MODII then Ill have money left over to buy pouches and such.

I still dont know which one Im going to get, though. It'd be a lot easier to buy the weesatch, but it's a lot cheaper to buy the MOD II. :(

I see what you mean. I can afford the weesatch, but I dont know if I could buy any pouches for it afterwards (maybe like 2 or something). If I order the Guarder MODII then Ill have money left over to buy pouches and such.

I still dont know which one Im going to get, though. It'd be a lot easier to buy the weesatch, but it's a lot cheaper to buy the MOD II.  :(

Looking at all the options avaiable to me atm the weestach with all of the pouches I need on it comes out to about $220. That is what I would pay for a mod vest with all of the pouches I need. The BIG advantage that the weestach has it that you can use it right away, so you can buy the pouches as your funds allow and always be able to hold 12 m16 mags. But maby instead of thread hijaking we should take this to pm's. :)

Or take it to the gear forum. ;)

One thing to remember with MODULAR gear is that it's advantage is just that, modularity. Those built in pouches in the Wa/Weesatch are not going anywhere, especially not over to a new rig you buy in the future. Perhaps a Woosatch would be worthy of consideration if you want a plate carrier. Otherwise, MOD II FTW. Vests are for today, good pouches are forever. :D

• 1 year later...

Wtf, last post in 2005? Okey, that's my try to revive this thread. Can't believe there is nobody into USMC loadouts.

Got myself a Point Blank IBA. It's different to the SDS OTV in terms of colour and a few other things.

Photo 1/1 (yes, Collar-Yoke assembly included :) ):

a9b72bcf-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Coldweather FR training (2005+)

based on:

dsc00009.jpg

dsc00089.jpg

KIT LIST:

(head to toe)

USMC CB hat (Supply captain)

Oakley SI array (brown lens)

Comtacs with liplight, boom + TCI PTT

Nomex flightsuit (OD/SAGE)

PCU level 5 jacket (ORC industries)

US IR tabs + NKDA patch

Polartec 100 zipped fleece

Marine PT shirt

Eagle PC w/cb khaki + shoulder pads

Scopey sling (OD + CB) ;)

4x Eagle M4 pouches (khaki)

Grimlocs + zip ties

Paraclete GP (CB) (CRKT SF folder in here)

HSGI frag pouch (khaki)

Replica MAP (OD sprayed khaki +BHI pouch on bottom) + camelbak bladder with tan tube. Unit is fixed on with fastex clips for easy removal

Oakley factory gloves (khaki)

Blackwater Gear belt + kifaru adapter (Range Green)

4x Eagle pistol pouches (khaki)

Maxpedition rolly (OD)

TT smoke pouch (woodland sprayed khaki)

Safariland 6004 (tri)

Alta knee pads (black/OD)

Belleville gortex boots (tan)

1911 variant .45

M4 with eagle stock pouch, Eotech 511, thumb Surefire M951 weaponlight with p/switch, - sprayed khaki + earth brown

Image 1:

FRmodox1.jpg

Image 2:

FRmodox2.jpg

Image 3:

FRmodox3.jpg

Image 4:

FRmodox4.jpg

Image 5:

FRmodox5.jpg

Image 5: (just for kit overview reasons)

FRmodox6_kitoverview.jpg

Got myself a Point Blank IBA. It's different to the SDS OTV in terms of colour and a few other things.

Photo 1/1 (yes, Collar-Yoke assembly included  :) ):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/kwp/a9b72bcf-1.jpg

Isn't it illegal for non-military personal to buy an IBA from Point Blank?

Archived