2 Man team tactics

Agent47

I'm not attached to any official team or have a whole bunch of friends that I can regularly play airsoft with, so usually I'm by myself or I pick out volunteers who seem to be "outsiders" in a game or have a newbie come out with me. I can integrate okay with the larger groups but there are times where I do not sense unit cohesion due to the fact that the particular group has been playing together for a long period of time. So far I've done okay, but does anyone have any 2-man tactics they'd like to share? Most 2-man tactics databases are usually LEO restricted due to the fact that they almost always work with a partner, and I hope my search-fu isn't dying out on me...

The so called buddy team, and as Azulsky wrote, using the fire & maneuver concept. You can't do much more with only one buddy team, unless practicing MOUT/CQB, but without a 4man fire-team, it's just a downsized version of fire & maneuver

So just practice fire & maneuver, till you can work efficiently without shouting. BTW it's a great building block, if you get more people, just just add up buddy teams to fire teams, squads, and before you know it, you might end up with your own platoon. :)

a smart soldier turns his disadvantage into an advantage. You're in a small group (or lonely) so play the low-profile sneaky *bramston pickle* role. Go around and flank the enemy from the back. Or place yourself in a little bush noone expects and shoot everyone that passes by in the back.

I'm a loner myself, and usually get the most kills of everyone on a regular skirm.

I agree, as a two man team your best placed to flank the OpFor. Always be trying to think of way to support the main attack from another direction. Also, ambushes. Ambushing is fun with two. Door kicking with two is more than possible, but you must really stick together and not get caught out - check those angles! Moving fast (inside a house or corridor) is essential and with two you are free to move very fast indeed. When I play The Mall and find myself in a two, I always use the darkness to my advantage - two can move a lot quieter than ten! - and move with torches off.

• 3 weeks later...

i like your self play eeerm with myself most of the time!

trick with a 2 man patrol is communication, you have to be part of the whole

and playing a key part! most big teams positivly relish the idea of small units working

around them (creating distraction, smash and grabs and general mahem)

but its all about the comms!

i myself work better in small teams, 2 is obviously taking it to the limit but

it can be done! turning negative to your positive is the name of the game!

(big teams you always have heros, a team leader, and bitchers )

2 man patrol? you should be in a position were you can shut your eyes

at any point and know wher he is in relation to you and know his actions,

(this isnt as hard as it sounds) again its all about comms, body language ect

cover! COVER!! COVER !!! your mate dies you gana die simples!

2 man teams arnt the easiest thing to master but way more rewarding

than being a drone in a 20 man team!

find a buddy and get on it!

Like it's been said before the two men concept is broken down like this, one of you is doing something the other can't or can't do well.

If I'm shooting then I can't move, my partner will move where he will start shooting (now he can't move) so now I will move.

If I'm shooting in one direction or covering a sector of fire then I can't shoot or cover other directions, my partner will do this. Likewise I am doing the same for him.

If I'm shooting something big like a sniper rifle or a machine gun, there are a few things I can't do or do well. Reloading, spotting, defend myself, and so forth. Maybe I can't carry item X in combination with item Y because it's too heavy for one person or it's too bulky.

Suppose your objective is to enter an area and eliminate opposition without being eliminated yourself. With a team-mate you have improved capabilities over if you were on your own. You can cover/fire and maneuver and all that good stuff and of course two heads are better than one. What happens a lot is when something occurs like you take contact, or even when you initiate contact. You both become so focused on shooting you don't talk to one another, formulate a plan (are we going to shoot this out or are we going to get out of here), and basically you stop being a team of two and just become a pair of individuals.

I recall a junior recon team having this very problem on a MOUT exercise I observed. They were patrolling and doing very well until they encountered an entrenched enemy with superior numbers and firepower. Instead of acting like a team and coming up with a plan it looked like it was every man for themselves. They stayed in place with everybody just shooting it out until the enemy was able to move right up on top of them. In the end the Marines "prevailed" with 8 enemy KIA and 3 friendly KIA, but although the Marines "won" the engagement it was still a failure. There will always be more enemy to shoot, but on the battlefield the loss of even one team-member (let alone over half the team) makes things VERY bad.

I've been playing in a 2 man team for years. The biggest advantage is that my buddy and I know each-others play through and through. He knows how to shoot (and hit) from a longer distance and I like to sneak up to people. Like said above the move and shoot thing works.

Because we are a small team, we are extremely quiet and above that we can move fast. First we try to get an overview of the situation and then we start to look for a back door. Getting kills isn't that important to us as surviving (we mostly play a non-respawn game). Sometimes we even let our enemies pass... Don't get me wrong, we do get our kills, we just pick them right (last sunday we've got 10 kills in 1 game and survived without emptying 1 low-cap :))

The main disadvantage is that we get hit by friendlies because we come from the other direction and they shoot before they look :angry:

Archived