G&G M14 short review

I took advantage of ASGI's 10% off Memorial Day sale, bringing this gun to a grand total of 229.5$, and for that price, who can resist? Alright, when I came home from school today I was greeted with the gun I have been anxiously waiting for about 1 and a half weeks for.

Guns007-1.jpg

First Impressions:

The first thing I noticed when I picked up this gun is that is quite heavy (Approx. 10 lbs), but that is to be expected, it's an M14!

I ordered the fake wood version due to financial reasons, but the fake wood is just as convincing as the real wood on the Veteran.

Guns008-1.jpg

The bolt catch is 100% functional, and when released gives a satisfying "CLANK!" The hop-up is a drum style hop-up also seen in TM style AUG's. This combined with a G&G's stock 6.04 mm tightbore barrel should give it well above average accuracy and range. I am not able to say the exact accuracy now, but the groupings at 10m are very close together. (Approx. 1 inch)

Guns010.jpg

One downside is that this M14 is not compatible at all with a TM M14. The magazines are also different, leaving G&G to charge a pretty penny for aftermarket magazines, although I did read somewhere that MAG had some G&G M14 magazines in the making.

Guns011-1.jpg

Opening up the butt plate reveals a large tamiya connector. The stock can hold up to an 8.4V large battery. 9.6V batteries I am not sure of.

Guns012-1.jpg

One let down is that the heat shield is shiny and has that plasticky feeling

Guns013-1.jpg

G&G was nice enough to include trades with a serial number which I'm not positive if it's unique or not

Guns014-1.jpg

Some misc. shots

Guns015-1.jpg

Guns018.jpg

Overall I am fairly impressed. I only have noticed 3 small downsides:

1)The heat shield doesn't look or feel good at all. Apparently real heat shields can fit so I might pick up one

2) The magazine needs to be tapped on the bottom in order to feed properly. Most likely needs some breaking in.

3) Small type batteries make a raquet when in the butt stock, easily fixed with styerfoam.

Other then that, I am very pleased with my order. All parts that should be metal are, and it seems to be shooting very nicely. I will take it to it's first game tomorrow so I'll be able to tell you the exact FPS and true accuracy soon. Any questions? Feel free to ask :D

Edited by GnGArmament

Took it out for a test run yesterday. It chronographs at 298 FPS +/- 2 FPS. A little disappointed in that, as I expected it to be a bit higher, but its nothing a M120 spring can't fix. The trigger response with an 8.4V mini is laughably bad, so I stuck a 9.6V large in and now the response is much better. Shots with .25G G&G BB's are almost a guaranteed human sized target hit at 120 feet. Only other thing I can really think of is the gearbox sounds whiny like an ARMY L85.

For 229$, it's a pretty fair deal from G&G considering the TM is almost double that price for US buyers. If I were to rate it out of 10, I would probably give it a 7 or 7.5 due to some tweaking that needs to be done to get it at it's full potential.

• 2 months later...

Out of intrest have you had a chance to compair it with a CYMA m14? If you have could you possibly give me some information about there range, FPS and accuracy when compaired with each other?

I own both a G&G m14 VET and a Cyma m14 that is sort of broken at the moment. The internals on the Cyma are TERRIBLE I would never pay for a gun like that. Well the G&G has LiPo ready internals, 6.04 barrel, and it has overcome all of TM's terrible design issues on their m14s. Hope I helped. Range and FPS wise of course he G&G is alot better.

Out of intrest have you had a chance to compair it with a CYMA m14? If you have could you possibly give me some information about there range, FPS and accuracy when compaired with each other?

I own both a G&G m14 VET and a Cyma m14 that is sort of broken at the moment. The internals on the Cyma are TERRIBLE I would never pay for a gun like that. Well the G&G has LiPo ready internals, 6.04 barrel, and it has overcome all of TM's terrible design issues on their m14s. Hope I helped. Range and FPS wise of course he G&G is alot better.

I own the G&G M14, SOC16 model, and I love it. I only have two pit-falls, one as mentioned above, is the 'cheapy' feeling heat shield...at least on the SOC16, the heat shield is not shiney, and comes with a nice texture. And two, through no fault of the rifle, it fires poorly on an 8.4V battery. Trigger response is much better with a 9.6V.