$1,000,000,000,000 worth of minerals in Afghanistan ground

Triggerhappychappy

Its unfortunate that the war in Iraq has cost us so much creditability. At least with Iraq theres the point to be made that we wanted the oil. Whats in Afghanistan? We went in almost ten years before the discovery of these minerals. Its obvious al-Qaeda was in Afghanistan. Thats why we went there.

Actually the mineral wealth was known about well in advance. The surveys that lead to this news story were based on previous work done by the Soviets.

faramon - We can't know anything definitely. However we can work out how likely various ideas are based on the available evidence. Where Seraphim gets it right above is pointing out it's been ten years before anyone actually looked at this. Secondly we'd not need to be involved in a huge pop-centric counter-insurgency as part of a NATO mission with UN backing if it were purely mineral wealth or a totally unnecessary pipeline (which is the other "theory") that was the reason for invasion.

We all don't know why Afghan was invaded it could be any of the reasons as most have some form of proof to make you believe, even if you could get intot he head of George Bush he could of been a patsy and not known why....

Good luck to the corporations trying to scratch their own brains out to see how much they can *fruitcage* the country and take the resources, after all business is business.

Sounds like something a tinfoil hat wearer might say.

Given the way corporations operate (stuff such as "risk vs reward") there are dozens of places in the world where a canny investor could go and buy into the mineral industry without having to start a war first.

Even if, at some point, a sufficiently underhanded corporation did speculate on the potential for generating wealth from Afghanistan I imagine that 20 years of war with the russians, followed by the way western contractors have been treated in Iraq, might have hinted at the problems they'd face.

Then there's always Occams Razor.

Sorry, I should have looked into that a bit more. But the point is, we've been there for ten years and haven't really made an effort to get at the supplies. And if we wanted to exploit the country's resources, it would be a lot easier to just take the bales of opium laying about. Hmmm that gives me an idea...Get me the White House!

Sounds like something a tinfoil hat wearer might say.

Given the way corporations operate (stuff such as "risk vs reward") there are dozens of places in the world where a canny investor could go and buy into the mineral industry without having to start a war first.

Even if, at some point, a sufficiently underhanded corporation did speculate on the potential for generating wealth from Afghanistan I imagine that 20 years of war with the russians, followed by the way western contractors have been treated in Iraq, might have hinted at the problems they'd face.

Unfortunately I probably am a bit in this kid of thing but I generally hate conspiracy theories but I feel like a lot of this war was bull *suitcase* but I have no proof and I feel the 'proof' the government has provided has been as bad as the bat *suitcase* ###### most conspiracy theory people come up with ... my own view on this makes me self hate.

I want to believe it was rational and reasonable to go to war but I just feel like there was something else big going on here.

Either way I am not going to push this further I don't feel confident in my point I just don't feel confident in other peoples either.

Lol Wayland Yutani going for those aliens again.... GOLD and MINERAL ALIENS! :D

Conspiracy theorists, of course, subscribe to his earlier and lesser-known principle "Occam's Rube Goldberg Slicing Machine of Global Domination".

Don't be ridiculous.

The lizard people captured that in the great insect wars of 1066.

There's a reason nobody's allowed to examine our Queen's sceptre closely y'know.

I thought that was more of a case of no one wanting to examine it closely what with it being attached to Prince Phillip. ;)

</bad joke>

Conspiracy theorists, of course, subscribe to his earlier and lesser-known principle "Occam's Rube Goldberg Slicing Machine of Global Domination".

Don't be ridiculous.

The lizard people captured that in the great insect wars of 1066.

There's a reason nobody's allowed to examine our Queen's sceptre closely y'know.

I thought that was more of a case of no one wanting to examine it closely what with it being attached to Prince Phillip. ;)

</bad joke>

I think you'll find with his track record that it gets examined in minute detail by a professional on a regular basis ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Archived