Flintlock 40mm Blunderbuss

renegadecow

Been wanting to document this for a while, but my old camera was stolen. The End.

Fast forward to today and I eventually got a replacement camera.

The idea of the blunderbuss came soon after I made the mad max shotgun from last year as a friend of mine became so interested in it to give it the green light (he had to give the green light thrice as I thought he was joking in the first two occasions). As with most of the builds commissioned by friends, they need not be costly or made quickly and with a month long vacation nearing, not much progress can be expected from me for a while. Although that's not saying not much has been done already. It's just that I lost my camera to take progress shots until now (and I would have been daft to start a thread without pics right?)

The goal:

blunderbuss2.jpg

Whats been done:

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Still plenty to do, but at least I've already planned out most of the mechanisms involved. It will be a muzzle loader with a spring loaded arm to keep the shell locked in place. The trigger, as with anything 'nade involved I've made, will be a counter-lever connected to a plunger. On the plunger will be a sear for the flintlock hammer so that it falls simultaneous to detonation.

edit: In case there are those who didn't notice, the one I'm making uses 40mm grenades making the barrel a whole lot bigger than what most blunderbusses had. So I had to slightly beef up the stock (and soon also the fake firing components) to even things out a bit. Real blunderbusses were meant to be fired from the hip which explains the weird stock angle for most of them. Firing a full load on your shoulder could very well dislocate it, and if one 40mm version were ever made such as this, could probably send your arm flying back two feet. I've made the alteration in the stock to have a more shoulderable angle as requested by the customer.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a team mate thats built from scratch a similar weapon. Its an aweseome thing to see fire, it also has a real working flint strike action, that sparks when the trigger is pulled.

We call it the 'Blunderbeast'.

With his permission i might stick some pics up.

I have a team mate thats built from scratch a similar weapon. Its an aweseome thing to see fire, it also has a real working flint strike action, that sparks when the trigger is pulled.

We call it the 'Blunderbeast'.

With his permission i might stick some pics up.

Emm...do you think it's safe to have something sparkling near a propane release? (unless he is using CO2 shells).

@Biguk: I red: "I have a friend that is built from scratch" :D

Beats me why that kids holding Mr. Stay Puft. I doubt he's doing it to annoy the dude, I mean who would wanna ###### off a mean old guy with a big *albatross* gun?

Barrel is a 50mm (od) pipe with the cone formed by heating one end and then jamming it against a beer bottle. Took about 4~5 times of heating and jamming to get the right shape. I then added some material on the lip to enhance the curled up look.

What do you guys think I ought to color the barrel and other metallic parts? Chrome paint never is durable (rubs off) and putting a clear coat of laquer over it ruins the gloss. I was thinking brass gold.

• 2 months later...

Sorry guys. Was hit by a major case of lethargy so I shelved the project all this time. It's the weekend now so I have a legitimate excuse to loaf around, but I'll get back on it by Monday. But I'm not without any progress, since the last time I posted, I made the trigger and shell retaining mechanism and have tested that they work. Also, for some wonky reason (I'm guessing its the cone muzzle) this thing is LOUD and even with just a vapor filled nade to test with.

Updates!

shell retaining doohickey

IMG_0778.jpg

mounting brackets for the barrel

IMG_0776.jpg

trigger, hammer, side plate, and ornamental plate

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

The ornamental plate will have a twin sea serpent design and the side plate a typical bordered fleur de lise pattern and some swirly bits going on with the hammer. I'll try to see tonight if a soldering iron will be enough for the job because carving all that by hand... <_<

The soldering iron engraving seemed to work. The hard part is not going overboard with it. Got more parts done: frizzen, frizzen spring, pan and ornamental lever (not in pic)

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

edit

With the photos above only showing the action of the gun, I'm tempted to make a pistole variant for myself. Liking the idea of a short but stout room broom almost looking cartooney/SD

Thanks again guys. And it looks like the build is in the final stages. :)

Trigger mechanism. The part that pushes the nade button is the piece of steel wire itself while I glued on a block which serves as the sear for the hammer.

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

The shell retention lever I was talking about. Pull down to release shell. The internal latch is ramped so all you need to do to load is drop a shell in.

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

Started the painting/staining process.

IMG_0800.jpg

Brass gold wasn't all it was up to be (I always get suckered by the spray can swatches) so I went with copper gold instead. It's slightly reddish, but a lot richer and looks a lot more like brass IMO. Will be using this as primary, then wash everything in antiquing solution (thinner + black) and top coat everything in clear gloss. The wood I started with walnut, but looks boring so I stained it mahogany after. But with the new copper gold in place, a much darker hue looks more suitable so I'm staining it again with ebony.

Archived