H&K / Umarex / ARES G36 Elite

This is the officially licensed version of H&K's G36C made by Ares under license by Umarex.

Standard Marketing Materials:

• Overall Length = 29"; 20.5" with rear stock folded
  • Barrel Length = 247mm
  • Magazine Capacity = 430 Rounds Hi-Cap magazine included
  • Gearbox: Full metal, 8mm bearings with reinforced metal high-speed gears
  • Velocity = 375-390+ fps with 0.20 gram BBs
  • Rate of Fire = 900 RPM with 8.4v battery, 1000+ RPM with 9.6v battery
  • Weight = 6.3 lbs.
  • Power = 8.4V, 9.6V NiMh Battery
  • Adjustable hop-up unit Adjustable rear sight
  • Full length top rail, 3x RIS pieces integrated into forward hand guard

IMG_3096_600.jpg

Overall look and feel is totally solid. Everything is tight (except for one quirky selector switch) with no rattles or creaks. A quick allen wrench to the selector switch set screw fixed that.

All of the rails were solid, and the stock folding mechanism and lock also feel tight. The controls are truly ambidextrous with a fire-mode selector on each siide, the mag release directly in front of the trigger guard, and even the charging handle hinges from center to what ever side you are pulling from.

The gun can be taken apart with no tools by removing the three body pins. There are even holes in the stock to hold the pins so you do not lose them (you can see the pins below near the front of the stock).

IMG_3106_600.jpg

Although I had some disappointing chronos out of the box, that was due to a really dirty barrel, and after cleaning it the FPS averaged out around 370. With a 9.6v mini fresh off the charger, I was able to achieve 25 RPS, but that number plateaued around 22RPS after 50-100 rounds.

20_PLUS_RPS_600.gif

! I am typically not a fan of alot of electric blowback guns, but this blowback is a full 2 inches of stroke and actually adds a bit of recoil to the gun. My teammates can always tell where I am in the woods by the sound of this gun.

I have some minor difficulty with a mini 9.6v 1400 MaH battery in the foregrip, but nothing that does damage to the battery. The main spring can be swapped out in less than five minutes with nothing more than a flat-head screwdriver and an allen wrench (the image below is the back of the gearbox). Once you unscrew that plate below, you use an allen wrench to push and turn the spring guide 90 degrees, and pull out. There is also a

directly in front of the trigger.

IMG_3107_600.jpg

I have a magwell adapter on order that will allow me to use my M4/M16 mags with this gun, which was a top reason for getting this gun; I can use the same battery, and mags as my GR16. This cannot come too soon as the included mag misfeeds alot. Although I can get the 20+ RPS on the audio, I always lose 3-4 RPS on the chrono.

I used this gun in an event last week and the gun performed fantastic right up until the gearbox jammed. Another player with the exact same gun also jammed his gearbox, and even stripped piston teeth. For me the issue was a small piece of metal, like a piston tooth, that had lodged in the second tooth of the piston. Once that was removed (and I verified that it was not from any existing gears) everything has been great. So epic fail to Ares quality control, and a heads up to other prospective owners to tear down and clean out the gearbox before using!

Edited by crappy
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some gearbox pics

First and foremost is the reason for the jam. It was a small piece of metal that looked like a sheered metal piston tooth, got stuck in the second notch.. After verifying that all gears / teeth are still in place I felt better.

IMG_3169_600.jpg

ARES QC hang your heads in shame.

I am still new to airsoft so I am not the best judge of what is best and worst, so I will stick to what I know.

The bushings are steel, with a bearing on the bevel gear. The piston teeth are plastic in the first half and metal the second half.

IMG_3172_600.jpg

The slide on the top is what activates the blowback when the piston is pulled back. A theory of mine is that I would probably pick up the missing 10-15 FPS if I removed that, but I like the sound for now.

The trigger is an electronic switch as opposed to a traditional open copper switch..

IMG_3170_600.jpg

Thanks for the review.

I have allways wanted one of these for my all CQB/PMC loadout.

May I ask where you purchased from and how much it cost?

Thanks.

Airsoft Megastore for $260 USD.

I definitely agree that this would be an excellent gun for CQB, especially since I can swap out the spring so easily. I have an extra M100 just waiting to be used.

The gun looks great, even despite the ugly white paint over the marking and that hated 6mm caliber. The rest looks awesome.

It was bound to have some sort of QC fail, still, that isn't a big deal IMO.

One question: Is the marking engraved?

Yes, the trademarks are engraved/etched with the white paint in the etching.

Well, another skirm, and another gearbox issue with this gun. This time a poor shim job on the bevel gear caused that wonderful grinding noise that makes every airsofter sick. The pic below is full size so you can see some detail, and even the metal shavings on my pinion gear.

IMG_3341_1500.jpg

im really hoping you just got a lemon wide-eyed.gif

Unfortunately, another player just last week when I had my first gearbox issue, had a catastrophic sector gear failure on his new G36. Total gear replacement for him.

Look and feel : 8.5 / 10

Practicality : 8 / 10

Mechanical : 5 / 10

Final verdict: If I had my money back, I would not buy this gun again.

Edited by crappy

What is the problem with the ARES guns nowadays? There is no review here without quality problems. I thought, that Umarex did something for the QC, but they are satisfied with their license Job, shame on them. So I think I keep my old ARES G36, because I reworked it and solved the issues I had with the performance and no gearbox problems so far.

Lance

i love g36's, but fk'n HK HAD to go ruin it mad.gif does anyone know when the new series of ca36's comes out?

They were announced a while ago, but I haven't been able to find out anything out about their progress... sad.gif

I would really love to get one of these new ARES, but these initial reviews and those HORRABLE white 6mm bb trades are killing me.

Edited by G36 FTW

Well, another skirm, and another gearbox issue with this gun. This time a poor shim job on the bevel gear caused that wonderful grinding noise that makes every airsofter sick. The pic below is full size so you can see some detail, and even the metal shavings on my pinion gear

Same thing happened with my CA36. It it a G36 thing?

The thing is. Lemons happen. Both my G36s where lemons. First one I got didnt shoot, next one this happened to it.

When alot of people swear by CA36s. Why I cant take one review with a grain of salt.

Edited by Mr Foxhound

Quick question here. I got the ARES G36 (full size) and when I disassembled my gun and reassembled it my Blow Back stopped working after the 2nd dissamebly. I reassembled it and it started working. But I had to disassemble it because i forgott to reattach the screw to the back of the gearbox. Now I cannot get my blow back working again. I would appreciate some help.

P.S. Would a replacment spring guide like this http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ares-spring-guide-for-g36-m4-scar-l1a1-m14-ump-aeg.html work for the G36 spring.

Quick question here. I got the ARES G36 (full size) and when I disassembled my gun and reassembled it my Blow Back stopped working after the 2nd dissamebly. I reassembled it and it started working. But I had to disassemble it because i forgott to reattach the screw to the back of the gearbox. Now I cannot get my blow back working again. I would appreciate some help.

P.S. Would a replacment spring guide like this http://shop.ehobbyas...14-ump-aeg.html work for the G36 spring.

Do you have the one with the dual optic? If so, is the quality of the red dot worth it?