Missing PCI device driver

Stealthbomber

I just noticed this on my Dell XPS1730...

I was running Vista and had the same issue. The PC was supplied with Vista AND W7 licenses so I thought I'd give W7 a go but the issue remains.

I installed the OS and then installed everything (AFAIK) off the drivers CD.

I've installed drivers for all the add-ons that I think it needs such as WIFI, Bluetooth, LAN, Firewire but this device is still showing up as needing a driver.

PCIdriver.jpg

Anybody have any idea what else I might still need to do?

I did google it and most of the discussion seems to revolve around system drivers which were the first things I installed after the OS.

I had the same problem when updating my Acer laptop to Windows 7, all I had to do was find the correct and updated driver online and I was sorted (with me it was the sound card).

I would expect Dell to have drivers available to download via there website? Failing that one of these driver update programs which searches your computer and finds the missing ones for you (at a cost).

I assume at least some of you guys didn't understand the question? :(

I am well aware of how to install a driver, and where to get them.

What I'm saying is that, as far as I know, my computer already HAS all the bloody drivers it needs installed on it.

What I NEED is to find out what the missing driver is actually for so I can install the driver.

The 1730 is a laptop right? i don't honestly think you would need PCI drivers, as does it really have a PCI slot?

FWIW, it does have "regular" gfx cards but they're built into a proprietry package to fit inside the laptop. It also has a bunch of seperate modules for things like the WLAN, 3G Modem and Bluetooth modules which could operate using a PCI bus, I suppose.

Thing that's currently bugging me is that I can't actually find anything that's not working as it should. :unsure:

The 1730 is a laptop right? i don't honestly think you would need PCI drivers, as does it really have a PCI slot?

Not the same PCI bus has the one in a normal PC.

The bus is there so that devices like bluetooth ect ect can comunicate with what ever chipset the device has.

Basic computer architecture :)

Get me the PCI id from the device and i'll try and track it down for you

Well, that was a bit confusing but I got there in the end.

I used the device ID info to find out more about the missing item.

Thing is, it turned out that the missing driver was for a Physx card and I have already installed the Dell Physx driver off the driver CD.

Took a bit more investigation before I discovered what the problem was.

Dell sell the XPS M1730 with single and SLi gfx cards and with hardware and software Physx support.

Seems they bundle a software Physx driver with the laptop cos it will definitely work with all versions.

I have gfx cards with hardware Physx support so I needed to download a more suitable driver from the Dell website.

Job done, anyway. :D

*EDIT*

In other news, this laptop has a 6600mAh battery.

I've been using it on battery power for, oooh, about 40 minutes and it's nearly flat now.

Gotta love high-powered laptops. :rolleyes:

Archived