SHS Low Noise Torque (100:200) Gears

Purchase History:

I purchased these gears on Ehobby Asia after a discussion about the quality of their other gearsets. After having seen SilentVectorX's 13:1 High Speed SHS gears in person, I set my heart on a set of cheap helicals with the thinking of "Why the heck not?" For 19$ whats to lose? If they are complete knaff, then I can toss them! After seeing that the only Helical gearsets they had where in 100:200 (Same ratio as Prometheus Double Torques) and 100:300 (Prommy Tripple Torques) I settled for the lesser because I was pairing it with a G&P M160 motor and only a Guarder SP130 spring.

Arrival:

The packaging they arive in is pretty plain. (Thanks Airsoft Park for the picture because I literally destroyed my packaging :D)

SHS%20High%20Speed%20Flat%20Gear%20Set%2016%201%20for%20Gearbox%20V2%203.JPG

It gets the job done and protects the gears. No issues here.

The Gears:

It appears there are two things going on with these gears. The portions that are grey are Sintered powder steel like we are all used to from Systema gears or most stock gears, the black is all machined (Obviously some form of CNCing as cutting gears without it would be a PITA). The machining is high quality, for 19$ I wasn't expecting the worlds greatest machining, but this is dang nice, definetly on the order of magnitude I'd expect from a set of Prometheus gears.

IMG_1744.jpg

[Please forgive semi blurry photos, my digital camera has worse ratings than my cell phone camera =\]

Bevel Gear:

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

Spur Gear:

IMG_1746.jpg

Sector Gear:

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

All together again:

IMG_1745.jpg

You can see the gears have been run through the "break in" process of about 5 minutes continuous run with just gears and motor in the gearbox. They have about 1000 shots on them with the SP130, all of that has been dry firing.

Important Observations:

SHS has done something which may or may not be a problem. The post for the tappet plate is about a hundreth of a mm out further and sits three tenths of a milimeter higher. The results? In my G&G M14 gearbox it rubbed like crazy so I had to take a dremel to the tappet plate guide to get it to spin freely in there. Shimming the gear higher would have not moved it far enough to prevent this contact from happening and would have had worse consequences for the rest of the gears.

The method SHS is using to attach the two halves of the Sector gear is through the use of Pins. Unfortunately on mine, the halves tend to seperate while under load. Not a huge issue as the next time I catch them apart I plan on super gluing the halves back together. Some form of better staking or keying like they did on their Spur gear and bevel gear would have been nice.

Six ARL stop points. Works for me!

Overal Strength:

I'm not 100% confident in the strength of these gears, only because I've not read any reports of people using the double torques (largely because the double torques only come in helicals which people want to avoid, except me :D). However, I do know that the 13:1 ratio gears are not suited for M130 springs. There is some obvious logic going on here, but the reduction in teeth count to get the 13:1 ratio is giong to obviously sacrifice some strength and holding capability as there is simply less material there. As for these gears? I'm not sure, an M130, certainly. SHS's website (www.topaeg.com) rates the gears to an M180 for the 100:300 ratio, I can only imagine the same goes for these. Obviously with the come about of LiPo's for high current output and stupid high torque and high RPM motors you can under gear yourself a little bit as I'm sure the torque ratings are good for a stock TM motor.

Performance:

After running them through a break in I put everything together in my G&G M14 Gearbox:

G&P M160

Guarder SP130

SHS 100:200 Gears

G&G Nano-Co Alloy Piston (See review)

SHS Pinion Gear

SW-AB Long

G&G Aluminum Piston Head (stock)

G&G M14 Veteran Cylinder and cylinder Head (stock)

G&G Air Seal Nozzle for M14/AUG (stock)

G&G Bearing Spring Guide (stock)

AoE Adjustment with Sorbo

The ROF is about 22 RPS (that was a by ear comparison from other guns, I'll get audio tests later when I get my semi auto working again!) on a 9.6v 4000 mAh ELITE Celled battery pack. Not too shabby for a set of double torques which are entirely over gearing the gearbox just for the luls of having helicals :)

Overal:

Build Quality: 8/10 The issues with the tappet plate post and the halves of the sector gear coming apart lose 2 points from the overal build quality even though they are MINOR, they still require work on a gearbox to get them to work, and I see that as a disadvantage for those looking to just drop these in and go. The Tappet Plate post issue MAY NOT be a problem on a V2 gearbox or a V3 gearbox and may be related to the G&G M14 gearbox but regardless. The helical cutting is superb and overall the gear quality is great, the ARL positions are crazy!

Performance: 10/10 They work, and I'd say probably work well up to an SP150 spring. I will update in about a weeks time if they hold or not as I will torture test them with an SP150 spring!

Price: 9001/10 Yes, it's over 9000! For 19$ these gears are a STEEL (see what I did thar?) The price to quality ratio is simply outstanding, and I'm confident that if these go tits up, replacing them isn't going to make me wish I hadn't bought them. For 19$ there is very little reason not to buy them. Obviously I haven't really gotten them tested to any extremes (Sp130 =/= extreme)but I'm more than happy with the purchase.

Overall: 9/10 Cheap, quality gears, nothing really more to say about them!

Note: These gears have been rebranded by King Arms and the KA cost nearly double the price for the same product. There was another company that also purchased these gears and rebranded them as well (can't remember to save my life). These are the originals. SHS has come out with a number of cheap, yet quality products for AEG's. I look forward to making more purchases with them!

^I KNEW IT - the Ehobby pictures were WAY too similar for them to be different gears lol.

UPK, you know SVX personally? Cool...I bow before that guy :P.

I had a 16:1 set for my Recce rifle some time back, but the spur gear axle broke off :(

SVX was a team lead for me for a while, now he's just another grunt like myself out on the field, except he's toting his M60 and I'm toting my M14. I'm wishing he'd hurry up and get back from his Deployment though. The Airforce is taking their sweet time sending him back home!

But yes, SVX and I are friend :) I have a whole bunch of his real gun stuff sitting at my house LOL.

And yes, the KA's are most definetly the same, although I wouldn't be surprised if the QC on the SHS's are a little higher. I've only had good luck with ONE KA part, and that was the hop up unit, and even then, others around me had the worst luck with theirs :P I really enjoy the SHS gears, the trigger response is not horrible even though these gears are straight up overkil.

I did superglue the halves of the Sector gear as they where coming apart on the SP150. I'm thinking I should probably invest in some form of punch and key the halves together somehow, but I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that. For the cheap price I paid, I'm willing to do a little work :) I'm sure the superglue will be more than sufficient... I hope :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sorry if I missed it, but did these gears actually reduce the noise? Looking to build a DMR here soon and think these would be the best route. Good review!

Sorry for the delay (Oi, looks like I don't really jump into this section a whole lot) but I'm not sure if they reduced the noise so much as changed it's pitch. I wouldn't recommend double torques for a DMR though, too much torque and it can reduce the trigger lag with rather lackluster batteries. As for the overall quietness of the gun? It's pretty dang quiet. It certainly helps that there is a quarter inch of wood on either side of the gearbox :P

As to how these are holding up? Pretty dang well I might add. Well enough anyway, but like I said, an SP130 spring isn't exactly "testing" Others on Airsoft Mechanics are reporting gear shaft failures on their standard ratio and high speed ratio gears at spring rates higher than an M130 spring.