• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the sound of it. the we pdw has a lot of unsolved problems right now. GHK pdw has been quite reliable, but the only problem is it has a fixed hop up andmany people don't like it, but it seems like the fixed hop up is decent so you still get decent range and accuracy out of it.

A little off topic.

I have a WE PDW Open Bolt GBBR.

So far I have not had any issues with it (yet).

Big upside for the WE PDW is that it uses the same reinforced parts as the WE M4's which unfortunately adds up in terms of costs.

GHK PDW on the other hand has pretty good internals out of the box from what I have seen.

Thing is that not a lot of GHK PDW GBBR users post up about their gun.

If someone handed me a free one, I'd point out strengths, weaknesses...what I like and don't like about them just as I have with other guns that I have acquired over the past few months... :P

Big upside for the WE PDW is that it uses the same reinforced parts as the WE M4's which unfortunately adds up in terms of costs.

Just wanna add that unless you plan to use Co2 the stock trigger group will last quite a while with green gas. My main M4 ( v1 btw ) still has the stock trigger group and has now WAY more than 30k rounds ( stopped counting lol ) and the only thing i changed was the valve locker ( and filled down the trigger around the 20k mark ). The valve locker and firing pin assembly from ra-tech costs like $25.

Unless you plan to use Co2, in that case you really need to drop some cash on it ( something around 110€, the entire trigger group ).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very interested in picking one of these bad boys up.

Everything ive read about the GHK PDW has been great and all the videos have been even better.

Honestly the fixed hop unit shouldnt deter people from purchasing the GHK, like Donut stated when using .25's they fly straight and have great range.

Im going to be purchasing mine from a Hk retailer and wanted to know if anyone had any problems with customs at all, being that its a GBBR???

Id also love to hear more current GHK owners post up their opinions on the rifle as well.

Edited by FalconGroup6

Is there no absolute way to adjust the hop-up? Considering it's using AEG barrels and hop rubbers, I would at least assume there is a grub screw set in place for the hop. I want to get the gun but the no adjusting feature puts me off. What if I wanted to use .28's?

My PDW v3 has just arrived, along with a box of CO2 mags. Unfortunately didn't have time to test fire it yet, but here's some initial observations:

Technical:

- Hop-up is NOT adjustable

- Overall fit and finish is ok - not mindblowing, but entirely acceptable, especially at the 285$ price point... I could only find a few casting marks (3 on the front sight, 2 on the fire selector and 1 on the stock). Markings are very shallow. Overall, i'd say the upper looks better than the lower.

- Both sights are casted rather than machined.

- Stock is pretty solid, only minimal wobble when unfolded, none when folded.

- Steel barrel installation was easy, but the barrel itself will require some shimming to actually point straight... Also, it's probably not a good idea to remove the barrell too often if you plan to stay with the aluminum one, there are two steel screw - aluminum and one steel screw - pot metal connections, they will break sooner or later.

- Receiver pins are very tight and require a tool for removal. They are captive, but held in place by a small secondary pin on a spring rather than a screw (like G&P WOC), so they can be removed by accident if you hit them hard.

- Internals are made of some pot metal, but the bolt carrier seems quite solid, and bolt catch is steel, so it should hold up.

- GHK CO2 mags fit EXTREMELY tight, to the point of not being able to remove them with the bolt carrier forward. G&P green gas mags do not fit at all (possibly an issue with the valve lock, didn't look into it yet). CO2 mags are a very tight fit in the G&P WOC as well, zero wobble and need a bit of force to remove.

- Trigger is somewhat mushy, more akin to an AEG than GBBR, there is no discernible "breaking point".

General:

- Wow, it's light!

- Fits in a laptop bag with stock folded and 8" barrel installed :>.

- The pistol grip is a joke, though i don't suppose i can blame GHK for that.

- The dual piston system is really nicely replicated, more moving parts than in a usual GBBR.

- The fire control group is different than in AR15's, notably the auto sear is more AK-like. Haven't seen any pics of real PDW internals, but from what i've read it seems to be correct.

- Related to the above, not sure if this is a feature or a mistake - probably the former: unlike in AR-15's, it is possible to put the safety on without having the hammer cocked.

I'll post some pics and shooting impressions in the coming days.

EDIT:

@ Drake, it seems to me that it should be possible to add a small hex screw, but you'd probably need a new, metal part as a replacement of the current plastic holder thingy, and it would be required to remove the barrel for any adjustments, which in itself is a bad idea for reasons stated above.

Edited by ko5ma

Update after firing a few mags:

- Recoil is really strong! Much stronger than my WOC.

- Gas efficiency is worse than i expected, when firing single shots at ~1s intervals i can get about 35-40 shots before the diminishing power is felt (ambient temperature ~19*C; no chrono, sorry), however...

- ...some gas leaks out during loading of the capsules. Mags themselves do not leak once loaded (tested 4 out of 7 total before i ran out of CO2 capsules), it's the loading procedure that is faulty. Obviously, this must negatively influence gas efficiency - but after a brief look into the mag i see a potential easy fix.

- Capsule tube has the same thread in the upper and lower part, so if you tighten the endcap nut too much, trying to remove the capsule will cause the whole tube to screw off. Nothing a bit of Locktite won't fix, but it shows that they have not really given much thought to the design.

- Magazines do not seat very well, sometimes the bolt catch is not engaged, sometimes the whole carrier is stopped by mag being pushed too far in. I'll have to look into this a bit further.

- Feed lips are plastic.

I've also fired a couple of CO2 mags in the WOC, worked flawlessly there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've put about 700-750 rounds through my V3 so far, using both GHK CO2 and G&P green gas mags - no major issues, no visible wear other than paint rubbing off from internal parts. After initial issues with mag seating, they started to fit better - all of them feed correctly, but still don't drop free. Tbh i wouldn't want to drop a gas mag anyway... The only problem is that the bolt catch doesn't engage after the mag is empty. It is not worn out, it's simply not positioned correctly. An easy fix is to add a drop of glue or solder on the part which interacts with magazine's lever.

All in all, i'm satisfied with the purchase, both the PDW and CO2 mags work well.

• 1 month later...

Internals after firing ~1200 rounds, lubed once just after purchase:

ghkkacpdw2internalsm.jpg

Paint is rubbed off, but no visible damage. The gun is still going strong, no issues other than the minor quirks indicated in previous posts.

ghkkacpdw0m.th.jpg

ghkkacpdw1.th.jpg

Sorry about the questionable quality of pics, i was testing a salvaged camera...