I.R. VFC M4A1 GBBR

Initial Review

Okay, the pricing on the new VFC GBBR's was a little to good to pass up. So, I got one. When I started to reassemble it...I had to ask...is this really a VFC? This thing is cheap...and it looked used!

This is not a good sign, parts that are thrown into a build and assembled should not show inconsistent wear marks. This GBBR showed both internal and external scratches. There was also wear marks on the componentry.

Here is a picture of it with a G&P WOC SR16 on the bottom.

4770698267_dbe8d7c6a3_b.jpg

Its light...the alloys that make up this GBBR feels plasticky. I had thought it was plastic until I looked in the upper receiver where I saw the anodizing was worn (Its new...why is there worn anodizing?) and the silver alloy underneath showed.

Magazine compatibility is loose. The VFC will fire the Bomber magazine, but the magazine does not seat in the VFC very well.

The GBBR is completely aluminum alloy. This accounts for this GBBR's lightness. The G&P uses steel alloys on many parts of the gun.

It has some cheap design features that will be a point of failure. The recoil buffer is held in by a little detente, point of failure in the making.

4770697143_346fc52050_b.jpg

And look at that buffer, the head is all dinged and scratched...this is a new buffer?

The hammer...its all dinged up too.

4771335346_4b44b34da4_b.jpg

Inspection of the barrel showed honing irregularities and a mediocre finish.

However, this GBBR shot very tight groups for GBBR at 45' with BB king .23 bb's. I used Mutt gas and it came out to a ~315fps with the .23's in a 75 degree shooting environment.

Informal tests at 20 yards showed I could hit a man sized target, but I wasn't going to make any head shots easily.

Another curious observation, the outer barrel is shorter. Its more like a 15.25" outer barrel instead of a true 16"

That's all for now...anything anyone wants me to inspect or check out on this GBBR?

Edited by Guges Mk3
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VFC has never been very high on my books.

For their AEGs, their externals are good, but the internals are no better than an average JG rifle. V2 mechboxes are not reinforced, poor design shown by difficult disassembly, poor wiring quality and low quality motors used in their AKs and M4s.

It seems where they can cheap, they will, at least in their AEGs.

So I have no hype with their GBBRs. I have seen a VFC Bolt carrier break, I do hope they improved the poor bolt design of the WA rifles having seen Inokatsu aluminium bolts break as well.

I don't know what planet you're living on in regards to VFC AEGs. Unless mine is an exception to the rule, the internal quality is exceptional. I disassembled my personal E-series M4 the day I bought it to see how the internals were. The factory shim job was perfect, the 2nd tooth of the pistol was removed already, the compression was flawless, and the gears, piston and other moving parts were very well made. Today, 6 months and thousands of rounds later at 27RPS the internals still look absolutely brand new. I'll concede that the wiring left a lot to be desired, but the motor is crisp, quiet, and responsive.

My buddy's "equal quality" 2010 JG M4 basically spat its insides out the air nozzle during its first game.

I live on a planet where a 20 X 350fps JG G36C/AUG OOTB at 350fps can outlast and outperform VFC AK/M4 upgraded to the same FPS. Sure JG M4s are probably not the shining examples of JG workmanship...

Yeah I do agree, VFC pistons and gears are good, but as soon as you push it up to > M110 spring the amount of effort to to make it perform reliably as a cheap JG, increases to the point where you have to add more parts in, where a JG M4 and JG G36C only requires minor tuning to get them to work indefinately. With the JG the wiring will take the current (the plastics on th V3 trigger sets though won't), while the VFC both the plastic and the wiring is s**t, along with its motor.

If you have ever tried to upgrade a VFC SCAR its a disaster and a half. It doesn't shoot straight, uses a proprietory Hop unit and doesn't fit non-vfc hop rubber, and I had to redo the whole stock wiring assembly because it could not carry enough current to run a systema magnum properly. A total PITA.

My point is, VFC reputation does not make me go "wow". Real sword does.

Back onto the VFC GBBR, I should have one coming soon, so will give feedback here.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

I have seen and heard horrible things about the older SCARs. The new M4s (and I've heard that the 2010 SCARs use the new E-series gearbox aswell) come stock with M120s. VFC has a past, but the new Armalite AEGs are AMAZING guns, especially considering the price.

...well aside from this irrelevant debate about VFC quality (which has always been a shining star whenever in my AEG collection :) ) This gbb looks like it was used as a test model or something! Its fairly terrible to get a worn hammer and those imperfections.

Does it feel tight though? Like wobble in the body stock hand guard?

Who'd you buy it from and how much did it cost?

dittosmile.gif

wow, this thread has definately been an interesting re-assessment of my opinion (albiet factually limited) of VFC. That M4 GBBR was definately tempting to me but I always had a high opinion of VFC AEG's, eventhough I've never owned one.

huh.gif Please keep us updated!!!

Okay some additional info.

I got it from WGC, with a long time relation with WGC and other companies...I got it for under $280.00 shipped.

The Outer barrel is indeed shorter:

VFC is exactly 1/8" shorter then the G&P in the outer barrel. Along with G&P's flash hider being 3/8" longer..that accounts for my perceived length discrepancy.

There is a slight and I mean slight, really small amount of barrel wobble on the VFC.

The key here is that this GBBR is UNDER $300.00...they have to cut costs and to do that...well workmanship and materials will suffer.

What is its maximum effective range?(furthest range to hit a man sized target)

And what is its maximum range? (furthest range the bb's can travel)

These are absolutely unquantifiable questions. The answer is it depends.

Shoot a HP gas with a heavy bb and it will go further then a low pressure gas with a .12 bb

I would love to try ET-1600 and Maruzen Super Grand Masters .29 in 30C/86F temps with this thing...but alas...no ET-1600 for me and the days are warmer then 30C. :P

Here is a receiver comparison, with logos:

4773775427_4bd25e9355_b.jpg

Magazines - Bomber - VFC - G&P

Magazine is not WA compatible.

4773775279_6376138540_b.jpg

4774415262_921510e412_b.jpg

4773775167_5ce5065913_b.jpg

The VFC has a plate and its not put on securely. It was obstructing the fill valve, fortunately it is loose, I just moved it to the side and filled the mag. But, that's not a good thing.

4773775369_d516ee1960_b.jpg

Definitely not VFC quality. I wonder if their Colt Logo'd models are better.

Edited by Guges Mk3

What did WGC say, is that a warehouse tester maybe?

From the list price it would seem like VFC wants to line up against KJW and that like instead of the high end. A definite change from their AEG platform positioning.

I mean the VFC mag doesn't seem to have the lever that activates the bolt stop, so how does it activate the bolt stop?

The other mags, have the lever but the VFC one doesnt...

4773775279_6376138540_b.jpg

Edited by raito
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a look at one. Its not the greatest but not half bad at all.

Its very lightweight, due to the lack of steel parts in there. Bolt head is metal, but bolt is plastic and Bolt carrier is very light weight aluminium alloy/zinc? Bolt catch is zinc/alu, but is designed to engage a steel lever which catches the bolt. It has an oversized firing striker that then hits the gas release pin. The gas release pin is a separate system of levers as is different from the WA. This allows the VFC to have its mags inserted when the hammer is uncocked.

The paint doesn't scratch as easily as indicated. Finish on the receiver is similar to a low grade AR15 receiver, fine matte not glossy. Certainly better than WE matte finish but not as nice as the tan anodised finish. There are tow versions one with trades (which are good BTW) and ones without.

Mags are well made. AEG dimensioned which is a few mms thicker than a real steel mag. Mags are also light, similar to the WE. It lacks the gas release levers on the WA system. Its definately more simple. No leaks.

Barrel is alu, handguard is secured by a standard delta ring but the front end (barrel and foregrip) wobbles OOTB. It takes RS buffers and cocking handles.

It has LESS impulse recoil than the AGM, INOKATSU or the WE, due to the light weight bolt. Cycling speed is about the same as WE.

At 17*C it chronos at 380fps. Bolt flute valve is a marui design. The bolt is also thickened at the end where most bolts break so that will be interesting to see how long that lasts. The Bolt carrier is my concern for breakages.

The redesign is certainly good (mags, striker, bolt, bolt catch), but lack of steel parts (barrel, etc), light weight, lack of recoil and its flimsy looking bolt carrier front is the down side.

It is basically it has all the features of an inokatsu but lot less build quality. The ability to take RS cocking handles like the Inokatsu, with realistic finished + trades, makes it more worth while for its price. But of course for an open chamber system there are cheaper and better designs and makes out there.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

It has some cheap design features that will be a point of failure. The recoil buffer is held in by a little detente, point of failure in the making.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/4770697143_346fc52050_b.jpg

I dont mean to point out the ignorance in this post, but this is how real AR buffers are held in, just an FYI. I'm not sure if you realized that or not. The Buffer detent only takes the pressure of the buffer when the receiver is opened, otherwise the bolt carrier should push the buffer back such that it never makes contact witht he detent. That is by design, and if it's worked for the 40 years the M16 has been in service, I'd say it's safe... unless of course you where talking about the materials used... :unsure:

I'm not surprised that the VFC is a bit meh. VFC was DUMB to stray away from the WA platform without vastly improving on it. They sank their own adventure into GBB's just by doing that... I hope it performs well though, for your sake! :)

And I'm still not a fan of VFC's AEG internals either...

I know the Detente is like the RS one, being that this is airsoft. It does not mean that its going to be high quality or made correctly and it is that poorly made. The Detente requires the buffer and stock to be screwed in precisely to hold it in. The hole for the detente is about ~.5mm to big and thus it wiggles a bit. It already popped out on me once while I was adjusting the stock and I bent the spring once already. In my real AR..the detente is nothing like this. VFC could make it better if they made the hole smaller and the spring shorter, but stronger. The long soft spring they use for the detente is not a good combination in the over gapped hole.

++++++++++++++

Well, I ran it through basic field exercises, yesterday

I filled up the magazine with Airsplat "Duster Gas", which they claim is HFC-22.

Outside ambient temps was ~89F, I left the mag in the sun for about 5 minutes it was loaded with BB King .23's.

Then I took it down to the chrono range and dialed in the hop-up for the .23 rounds in SA mode. After it was dialed in (about 5 shots) I flipped it into FA and fired a short burst. It left a nice gas cloud in front of the gun after a 5-7 round burst. GBBR seemed really hot still velocity wise. I stepped in front to the chrono and flipped it to SA. One shot -BAM- 483FPS! Yikes, with .23! Fired all the bb's and put one back in the mag and took one more reading -BAM- 479FPS!

What a monster! Since the mag is near "real" capacity, you never have to worry about running out gas with this monster.

Refilled the mag again, loaded with .25. Dialed in the hop-up within two shots. Took another chrono reading -BAM- 476FPS with .25! Fired all the bb's and put one back in the mag and took one more reading -BAM- 469FPS!

The chrono range had a 35 yards of open space...then it was bushes. There was one ~6" diameter tree. It easily hit that with direct fire...

.28g-.30 test next week.

Edited by Guges Mk3