Sniper Pistols

scar527

Tanaka are not wall hangers and are very service capable. If your over 380 fps...the gun becomes inaccurate. You have to up the bb weight to keep it under. Remember the hop-up on most models are fixed and thus if your firing them to high...the hop-up comes up short.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Dan

Is that a stock length Mk23 barrel, and what gas for 320-330fps ? i am on the same wavelength with this idea, i expected a higher fps with a 6.01 barrel and green gas, or are you running 134a gas.

Heres where i was going with mine, still in planning.

I was thinking of sneeky sniping with the Mk23 and a tweeked G17 as back up, i like to travel light. I am waiting to hear back on a standard g-spec barrel, the owner upgraded to a tightbore and has the stock one hiding somewhere.

Step one, drop in the new barrel, uncut and coke can chrono just for fun smile.gif then cut down so the barrel sits inside the silencer, then get my local site to chrono on green then 134a, i will be playing in the UK and dont want to be running 350-400+fps, i aim to maintain the standard AEG fps limit so dont have to worry about MED's or any possible conflict from a high power pistol (which may be illegal), this may entail trimming the barrel until the fps is down to limits my site are happy with, then test and run 134a in the summer and run green in the depths of winter.

I am still fairly new to airsoft and dont want to get into a debate on power levels, the sites where it will be used have the final say... so there.

Step two, barrel chopped, power where we want it, game site happy. Red dot or scope ? this need mounts, i have found the top half for about £30 posted, however the lower mount i cant find in stock and is about the same price and the Mk23 has a unique rail mount. However this is airsoft and anything goes, i am not worried about "it's not done on the real one" the cheap answer then.

Take a length of 20mm rail, first place it on the top of the slide, mark out and file out a gap about 1mm deep to clear over the top of the ejection port.

It's non blowback, the chamber is sprung and not flush, the rail sits slightly on it. Now the rail will block the open sights, cut a channel down the length of the rail so the open sight can still be used.

This is the tricky part, TM Mk23 slides arent high quality plastic. My plan was to glue the rail on, then drill from underneath and pin it as well, doing this will mean it is fixed in place but you wont be removing it. Purists wont like it but it should work. I was going to try a red dot first as they are lighter in weight than a scope and cheaper.

Step three, if i havent made a complete mess of things, then a clip on shoulder stock to be made. Been thinking about that, and have a plan, but thats a secret. I had thought about making a HERA style body for the pistol, but decided it's a lot of work and maybe overeaching my ability, that does raise a question though, fixed into a stock would it be classed as a DMR, single shot only, double action trigger pull and only 28rd mags ? however with a detachable stock it becomes a pistol ? to me thats the grey area i dont want to go to hence keeping to normal AEG fps limits.

I understand the appeal of a tricked up VSR, but to me a silent shooter than can be played at closer range is useable, would be for my lone-wolf stalking moods and days when i want to travel really light. And isnt this half the fun of airsoft, dreaming up oddball shooters then making it happen.

Thats my low cost plan for a DMP or sniper pistol. any questions biggrin.gif

I have to say, Mk23 all the way.

I've just put a shortened G-Spec barrel in mine, it pokes into the silencer, but only about half way. It's upped the ranged ever so slightly, with no noticeable increase in noise output.

I'll happily use this as my primary with a 4.3 as back-up. In fact, this is what I used at Copehill last year in the hours of darkness.

It's hard to quite believe how accurate these things really are. The only other pistol that I've seen come close in terms of accuracy/noise output (or lack of) was the Maruzen P99.

If only they made the trigger pull a little lighter, it is a beast.

@ Dan Been thinking about that, and have a plan, but thats a secret.

Why can't you tell us mate?

If all you're trying to do is be sneaky, then there's really no point in customizing too much on one pistol. With all the work written out on that wall of text, it might be better for you to just grab an AEG/GBB submachine gun, get an extra magazine or two, then go to work.

May never do the stock, may be a faff to use during games, had one go at making it, now on MkII. Also not sure on how durable the lower frame of a TM Mk23 is. The frame of there G17 is much stronger and aftermarket(real) stocks can be found and made to work on the airsoft version. Toyed with running a front hand grip, but decided that it would put to much stress on the frame, when you remove the LAM unit mine can be flexed, the LAM adds stiffness to the pistol. The TM NBB range are cheaper than the GBB and made from cheaper plastics, it's the inclusion of the LAM (not TAC light bright, but works well enough) and silencer that bump up the price.

It's not that much work really, lop down a barrel, slot a ris rail and glue and pin it on, after all it's airsoft, now that peek-a-boo cornershot pistol, that was a lot of work that may never get to be used in games due to site rules on blind fire.

I get where your coming from "get a AEG or GBB and some extra mags" and nothing beats a GBB for fun biggrin.gif they wont be as quiet, can be done but more work and bigger. It's an odd style of play, running out with pistols only but it appeals to some of us, 2 pistols with 3 mags each, hide shoot and scoot etc etc, with a tinker i can engage at normal AEG range in silence and not have to lug about a heavy AEG. Looked at a VSR, today had a play with a CA M14 scout which was a bit hefty, i am looking at running as light as i can, because i can.

I understand the appeal of real world weights for our toy AEGs, some people want to be as close to the real thing as they can. However i spent time back in the 80s Tor bagging with a Bren gun or SLR, managed to avoid getting a jimpy (thank fk) tabbing 30 miles lugging them things around is not fun, my knees are shot now, done the real ones, really really like the choice of a lightweight shooter for the odd sunday airsoft sport of shooting teenagers.

See what others are up too, aim to play around and do a bit at a time, find out what works for others and maybe what to avoid trying. It's all fun.

May never do the stock, may be a faff to use during games, had one go at making it, now on MkII. Also not sure on how durable the lower frame of a TM Mk23 is. The frame of there G17 is much stronger and aftermarket(real) stocks can be found and made to work on the airsoft version. Toyed with running a front hand grip, but decided that it would put to much stress on the frame, when you remove the LAM unit mine can be flexed, the LAM adds stiffness to the pistol. The TM NBB range are cheaper than the GBB and made from cheaper plastics, it's the inclusion of the LAM (not TAC light bright, but works well enough) and silencer that bump up the price.

It's not that much work really, lop down a barrel, slot a ris rail and glue and pin it on, after all it's airsoft, now that peek-a-boo cornershot pistol, that was a lot of work that may never get to be used in games due to site rules on blind fire.

I get where your coming from "get a AEG or GBB and some extra mags" and nothing beats a GBB for fun biggrin.gif they wont be as quiet, can be done but more work and bigger. It's an odd style of play, running out with pistols only but it appeals to some of us, 2 pistols with 3 mags each, hide shoot and scoot etc etc, with a tinker i can engage at normal AEG range in silence and not have to lug about a heavy AEG. Looked at a VSR, today had a play with a CA M14 scout which was a bit hefty, i am looking at running as light as i can, because i can.

I understand the appeal of real world weights for our toy AEGs, some people want to be as close to the real thing as they can. However i spent time back in the 80s Tor bagging with a Bren gun or SLR, managed to avoid getting a jimpy (thank fk) tabbing 30 miles lugging them things around is not fun, my knees are shot now, done the real ones, really really like the choice of a lightweight shooter for the odd sunday airsoft sport of shooting teenagers.

See what others are up too, aim to play around and do a bit at a time, find out what works for others and maybe what to avoid trying. It's all fun.

I see, I would probably get something lighter if I had bad knees as well. May I further recommend a mini-gun as a primary? :P

Well good luck with the whole project. I personally wish I jumped on a TM MK23 a few years ago at the local shop but instead got the KWA M93r.

Cant afford the running cost of a mini gun sad.gif

The TM Mk23 was my first airsoft gun, light and simple with some useable extras. Biggest problem was finding spare mags, couldnt get any with the pistol had to mail order from another shop, got the impression i had the last 2 mags in the country only found one place with them in stock. They are one of those things that people regret selling, if you get the chance to get one or the clones then do it, i have more trouble trying not to giggle will popping other players not to far from me, the only noise is the muffled hammer drop and slient fart followed by a thwack of bb on target, i loves it biggrin.gif

Now there must be some others out there who have tweaked theres, whos done what ? and did it work ?

Another vote for the TM Mk23. Extremely accurate out to 40-50m in stock form, and virtually silent. Works like a champ after 3 years of heavy use.

The chinese clone mags have cr*ppy (too thin) fill valves, they break off easily.

For me I would go for the MK.23 I have .28 dark green BB's. So if I do miss which I will not :P I am not likely to give my position away. Yesturday I wated 15 minits for a great kill. Double tap to the chest at 5 meters. You can not beet the feeling of a kill like that!

• 4 weeks later...

I had 2 MK23 for a little while, both second or third hand TM's I had one with the GSPEC barrel in as a primary and the other more or less stock as a secondary.

Really wish I hadnt swapped my second one, but I got an ACM L96 with 3 mags, a scope and an aluminium double rifle case for it...

Now days I only fit the GSPEC barrel for special events, the LAM I gave away with the stock MK23 cos it was pants,

I fitted a length of 20mm rail underneath the HK style rail to fit my Marui Prolite for night games.

Nineball purple rubber works well with Guarder HPM 0.28's , on the stock barrel

If I want to be sneaky I use a KA delta silencer with a 16mm adapter - more manouverable than the stock TM silencer, ( I use the TM to cover the 303mm barrel only)

And I only ever fire it single action for accuracy! the double action is pretty rough even after some work.

One day I will get round to fitting a top rail for a RDS , I quite fancy one of those cheap 2X mag Walther RDS knock off's on there.

We should start a thread (maybe in the snipers perch? ) for MK23 love and mods!?!

Jim ( off to fit the long barrel for some plinking...)

This seems to be nicely ticking over biggrin.gif

Just found out i cant post photos up here without going back to some host site to store them mad.gif

Anyways, in a fit of right place wrong time with cash on me, i got me a CA M14, heavy havent played it yet, may move it on as i like to travel light, but in the trade i got a damaged Panorama Red dot sight which now works and is lighter than what i already have.

So i aim to do the Ghetto poor-mans conversion of glue and pin a 20mm rail to the top of the Mk23 and whack on the new to me red dot.

I have also added (as post above) a nine ball hop rubber, it has taken several mags of plinking to settle down but it's shooting a bit tighter now, a cheap upgrade. My Mk23 is still stock apart from the hop rubber. (the hop rubber was for my G17 but never made it that far)

It will be a while until i get to game, but i should have the red dot mounted and aim to run .25 bbs i reckon on the morning running around like a loon sniping with pistols, then when my knees give out, try the M14 from the safety of hiding behind something, i will pay lots of M14 attention to anyone i find in the morning that cant cope with the concept of being nailed by a pistol (cheaters).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for going kinda "off-topic" but I am really interested in buying a TM MK23 socom as a secondary whenever I am sniping. I just googled for any decent holsters but apparently I can't find the Eagle Ind and Blackhawk holsters because they're discontinued. What is everyone else using? Is a leg- or beltholster the most comfortable? Also, do you holster it with the silencer attached or not?

@ Kunlun.

I got a G-Tac holster from zero-one in the uk when i got my Mk23, it was very cheap at £18 it's a drop-leg style with 2 leg straps.

It holds the pistol with the LAM attached, and is cut to allow the silencer to be attached as well.

It has a pouch to hold the silencer and 2 mag pouches, these all use a plastic speed clip, not velcro.

It was cheap and i dont expect a long life, but it does the job.

Downsides, being cheap i had to do some man-sewing to the mag pouches as they are oversized and the mags where a very loose fit, i might add some material to the silencer flap as it dosent always sit on top of the silencer, and thats something i dont want to lose, it is however a better fit than the mag pouches.

Fully loaded it's hefty as a drop leg and does flap about a bit when you run. DONT try to run with the silencer attached as you will trip yourself over break the gun and have everyone around you in fits of laughter (i worked that out before playing a game so havent done it :) )

I use mine on the belt as a hip holster, it works well like this, and is nicer to use with the silencer attached. I't almost counts as a backup grab bag, a complete silent weapon with 75+ loaded rounds in a handy package.

End of the day i bought cheap and expect to repair and patch it up over time, there are others out there, finding one in stock was my issue which is why i just got this, how much do you want to spend or how good is your man-sewing

(Ref for man-sewing, watch Rambo first blood, when he jumps into the tree to escape the cops, thats proper man-sewing)

Worked out how to do pics last night, this should now work ? That should be everything in the G-Tac holster rigged up for belt use over drop leg.

Next, should be what my Mk23 will look like when i pin on the rail.

To make the open sights useable i will dremmel out a channel the length of the rail, thats so i can use it as a primary with a scope/red-dot, yet still be able to holster it with out the sight on.

It's airsoft so maybe not as neat as a proper sight mount, but a hell of a lot cheaper.

Edit.

Yea that worked ... more pictures ! that what this thread needs :)

Hmm Rugers, i agree, even though i have a Mk23. Some one turned up at a indoor game with one of those, i made sure i nailed him first, although i dont fancy being shot from 5 feet at 400fps. Had a chat with the chap mid game tea break, he said the same about 400fps and damn quiet Non blowback, then in the game i double tapped him with a TM G17 and Mk23 he got a bit huffy after that so i avoided him.

Have to admit it's a pokey compact package thats rather quiet.

The drawback with the ruger is the mags, mag changes are really slow and the mags themselves spit out bb's in mag pouches due to the lack of feed lips ( uses a tunnel/ hood instead)

They do look good with Hogue target grips (R.S. fit with little dremel work) and Dobey made me a threaded barrel tip...

trigger pull is very hard, with no ability to "thumb cock" (love that on the MK23) and hop rubbers/ upgrades are like rocking horse poo!

Very good for Zombie hunting , will over-hop 0.4's as I found out when I aimed centre mass at a "zombie" at 25m and it swooped up and hit him in the neck...

( sorry shoggy, honest mate) but the hop needs a 1mm allan key to adjust , not the best.

Just the mag change that got me "infected" ! with my mk23 no such problems.

DSCN3582.jpg

Jim

Hmm, looking into a TM MK23 as my sidearm for sniping, and this thread has pretty much convinced me to get it.

Used to play a really heavy, hard out AEG kit with CIRAS and all sorts of *suitcase*. Recently gone back into sniping with a ARES AW338 on the way, so just running MAP and belt kit. Figured a nice quiet TM MK23 would go nicely on the belt for a bit of sneaky sneaky fun. Considering the above conversion really, a RDS on a silent pistol like this is a great idea. Probably going to run it in an ICS Butterfly dropleg without LAM. See how it goes.

TM MK23 club.... away!!! *woooosssh*

• 2 weeks later...

Im surprised no one hasn't said a TM Desert Eagle with a long eye relief scope or a Digicon Hunter?

Been very tempted to pick up either one of these to make a sniper pistol for years now. Never have gone through with it.

I thought the digicon pistol was non hop? Isn't that the type of pistol that caused a fatality in Japan? If it is the single shot pistol I think it is, then I don't see it as being a practical gaming gun.

Is the TM desert eagle as accurate as their more modern GBB? I think it uses an older hop system?

MK23... FTW!

Good Hunting ;)

Archived