Sniper Pistols

scar527

I dont get out to play that often, but on Sunday i did, i sort of of impluse bought a CA M14 so have been playing around with that. I went to a LAC game at Kirton which has pockets of dense cover and lots of wide open spaces, a long range shooters wet dream, the drizzle and wind didnt help things.

So late afternoon the M14 battery dies and out comes old faithfull. I hadnt set the hop and was using .20 these didnt like the wind and would curve upwards at 50 feet, still bagged a few blues, they did wonder what was going on as i marched down the road like John Wayne and had a standoff with them, go fer your gun.... let rip several shots and dive behind a bush before the 2 AEGs hose me down, did that a few times, didnt work so well against 4+ of them with AEGs.

So i wander off into the woods, trying to find a quiet spot to dial in the hop and swap to .25, pop out onto another road, 2 blues about 40feet away, Chrome Deagle and a AEG (few pistols in play at the end of the day), we looked at each other, i kept my pistol down and made no hostile moves, they paused.... i said i was about to dial in my hop... started laughing then legged it firing ! somehow i bagged the pair of them, hard to work out who was more surprised me or them. I got Chrome Deagle man to shoot me, i turned round and let him have a go, as he was still getting used to his (them Chrome ones look real big) he got my arm, everyone was happy and we all went off to regen, i dialled in my hop too.

I wandered back to the triangle field, the Blues where pushing through in extended line hosing the reds into the woods, they saw me and opened up..... out of range, good for me, they now see i only have a pistol and ignore me as a threat, so i get a bit closer, they laugh as i stand up and take aim, and bag 3 of them, i just have the edge on range, then a blue shoots me from behind, 20 seconds later the last game of the day is over.

My pistol now has a fear factor there. The M14 was 280fps on .20 my G17 was 278fps on .20 (never played it) and my Mark 23 was 308fps on .20 temp was about 16-18c and using green gas.

The mix of people on the day was fantastic, all players, no Teflon types, i can engage with AEGs and in some cases outrange them, got some Black .25 for the pistol only to try out next time, the feeling of running light is fantastic, i had a 200rd speed loader and 2 spare mags, you will get several reloads per mag as it dosnt use much gas (no blowback) so didnt have to carry a gas can.

I dont have a chrono and can only do short range shooting at home (about 20 feet) so dialling in a shooter is a game day only affair for me.

Got the week off, going to cut up a 20mm rail and see if i can graft it on to the slide, 2 more quiet mods to try out, really liking the Bushmans video and the camo tape job, so may do that after the scope rail. The open sights worked well enough for what they are, and the white dots (see pics in post above) i painted on helped, but because this is airsoft and i can, poor mans conversion time it is :) hope to back at the weekend with some photos if it all goes to plan...

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i seem to be taking over this thread for the time being, may as well stop here rather than start my own in projects or just handguns, after all i am going for a super slient sniper pistol.

I dont have the skill or workshop of Candyman, i am using a knock off dremel with shot bearings and whatever comes to hand, this is afterall a poor mans conversion.

I had a rummage and found a G36/UMP side rail, i have cut it in half, i have used the small sanding drum to make a semi circle channel the length of the rail, this is so i can still use the open sights as the 20mm rail will be glued and pinned on.

This took a few hours of tweeking to remove enough of the rail to allow a good sight picture with the stock fixed open sights, quite happy with the result and i have a spare 1/2 rail to butcher if this goes really wrong.

I have chosen to glue the rail direct to the top of the frame, the rail has been drilled for pins, i am doing it this way due to what i have to hand, and the slide still needs to function for strip down, i looked at small screws but wasnt happy trying to countersink them into the thin plastic of the slide. I have moved the rail as far forward as i can to avoid the nail heads fouling and hopefully allow normal strip down.

I will try hot melt glue first, as this would make removal at a later date possible. The goal is to have a rail in place that means i can still holster without a red-dot on, but still use open sights, with out dropping around half the value of the pistol on a dedicated scope mount that will not fit a holster, after all if i am using the red dot i will be using this as a primary so will be holding it all the time.

View through the open sights with the rail just sat in place, when the sound moderator is in place it does interfere with the sight picture (IMO) so being able to line up the 3 white dots of the fixed sights has been sorted.

I was going to have a longer rail that went over the ejection port.....But by pinning from the inside of the slide i encountered fitment/clearance issues with the inner workings of the pistol, to strip down nothing can be allowed to interfere or foul up, this led me to cut down the rail to the bare minimum..... and after another big mug of tea (can you guess i am English :) ) and a check and measure, i decided to get the rail as far forward as possible. This will upset the balance of the pistol for off hand shooting, but i reckon on taking most shots being able to support the pistol so this shouldnt be an issue for me, think bench rest shooting and you should get the idea of how i intend to use it. A low branch on tree, a big rock etc etc will become my bipod.

Next i will glue the rail on, hot melt will mean i can tweek it straight before i drill through the slide for the pins, i have made 10 pin holes in the rail, i doubt i will use all of them, but easier to drill them now than as an afterthought.

So far it's looking good and damn cheap. I have also been playing with the moderator, a bit of real world knowledge has helped here, but thats for later along with another quiet tweek as well.

At the power levels i am using i see this as a short to mid range slient system, i can play and engage at normal AEG range in the UK but slience will be my greatest friend.

This may not be practical for many out there, but i am enjoying myself, and if i can install fear into other players with a pistol then maybe i will sell my AEGs and get a VSR :)

More later as i get on with things.

I am very interested in any other takes on long range pistol players, i am aiming for a slient system, however i so easily could be tempted by a 10" Desert Eagle with a low power scope and extended tight bore barrel, the sight of that on the playing field would scare the daylights out of a lot of people, to all out there, keep the ideas and plans coming.

Well a few days later and the project Sniper pistol of doom is doing alright.

I marked out and roughed up a small section on the top of the slide, then heated up the rail, not too hot to melt plastic but enough to keep the glue tacky, i was surprised at how well this bonded to the slide, a minute of squishing and lining up by eye and it looked ok, 10 mins later i am bolting on a Red Dot to try out smile.gif put about 200rds through the pistol, roughly dialled in the sight with no issues.

Left it over night and tried a heavier sight and roughly dialled that in, again no issues. I think the hot-melt glue has turned out better than i expected. I went ahead and drilled 5 pin holes through the slide and hot-melted some pins in.

I loose fit tested first and checked i can still cycle the slide with the pins in, all ok... better to check loose than glue and find out you cant assemble and cycle it, a fiddly and possibly messy job.

I now have a short sight rail attached, it allows the use of open sights when not using a red dot, it is low profile and dosent interfere with my holster, i have rounded off the corners to prevent snagging when drawing or stowing the beast. It cost a small section of 20mm rail and a hot melt glue stick, about 8 hours of labour and lots of Tea, it's a fairly simple job if you think it through, check and recheck before gluing or drilling holes, i encountered a few issues of clearance and fit and had to alter my plans to match, bit of black paint and you would think Marui put it there themselves.

The photos.

First one shows the pins on the inside of the slide. I predrilled the rail with 10 pin holes so can beef it up later if needed, i think 5 will do, need to play it to find out.

Next photo the sight attached smile.gif

The third photo, actual test information, i dont know if much data like this exists in the airsoft world, and i know airsoft guns in general arent up to match grade quality, maybe if you drop a shed load of cash into one.

Anyway as the picture is posted, on the bottom is a 6 round group with zeroone .25bbs using green gas at 5 meters, bench rested indoors, this is about 19mm X 24 mm grouping.

The top of the picture is the same set up but at 10 meters i got a 30mm X 34mm group with 1 flyer from snatching the trigger.

Continued shooting ends up with about a 30mm diameter hole and you just keep placing shots through the hole, i have a major issue with the trigger pull, but that is the nature of this pistol, the trigger pull cycles the loading nozzle so it's hefty. With more practice and maybe altering the trigger shoe i can get a smaller group. I have also used a Ceramic bearing grease on the linkage points i feel this has smoothed the feel out a bit. With out taking the whole trigger mech apart and having a look, there is no adjustments to be made. Due to uncertain spares i will not be taking apart the trigger mech, for what it is it works, i shall leave well alone.

I dont know what passes as a good grouping for an airsoft pistol ? so the above information might not be very good, i have nothing to compare it against, my shooting may be ok it may be terrible i dont know ?

Some quiet mods to do next and play it at the end of October. I will be lurking until then as i am off working away for a few weeks, so no more photos until early November.

Anyone else tried anything like this ?

Dagonet.

Sorry if you find this off topic. What do you guys think of the KJW mk1 carbine? I'm interested in the 23 inch version -> http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/kjw-gas-mk1-carbine-w-23inch-barrel.html

Got one of the regular mk1's and it is pretty sweet. A bit heavy on the trigger though.

While on the subject. Are there any silencer adapters available for it? Got a nice 40 mm lightweight suppressor i would like to put on it.

Best regards,

Lajjvo

Are there any silencer adapters available for it?

Check post #46!

Silencer adapter custom made by "Dobey" ( a member on here , PM him ,and he might make you one)

Seen a few of the carbines around, hop isnt very stable and the trigger pull is fierce, generally around here the carbines FPS is so high that you need a 30M M.E.D.

and It's just not accurate enough at that distance to make it worthwhile. better off with a stock VSR... or a MK23 carbine!

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

All up and running now, gaming at the weekend to try it out.

The can has been tweaked with some baffle discs and snipped out the foam for expansion chambers, as i dont have a decibel meter to check i cant confirm my findings, but there is a difference in sound signature now.

The strange thing is it sounds like the fps has dropped, this could be in effect due to the way gas flows past the BB as it travels down the barrel, the baffles and chambers might have an effect now on the BB, (real bullets seal the barrel and all gas is trapped behind them).

It could just be an acoustic trick, the pistol is quieter (i think) there fore i can only hear mechanical noise and the BB hit the target, it's like now the BB is taking longer to impact, maybe a strange statement to make.

I will try to get the pistol chronoed at the weekend with the can on and off, i would expect a slight variation anyway (a few fps maybe) due to the length of the can and natural decelleration.

It could be that the gas that flows past the BB in the barrel is now expanding in the can and creating a buffer of pressure in front of the BB which in turn will slow it down, all guess work until a chrono test !

As it's my primary i am skipping a holster for it. Without the LAM and Can fitted it does drop into my holster, it fits into the side ways chest pocket on a British army DPM jacket, with the can on the grip hangs out, so i can stow it away if needed. I was going to make a bucket holster for it from gaffer tape and a camping foam mat, got as far as making a mag pouch as MK23 mags are a pain to fit in normal pistol mag pouches, the side benefit is they are insulated now, so mags should suffer less from the cold.

I am running with a TM G17 as backup, a speedloader, a small bag of extra BB's and knocked up a gaffer tape foam mat pouch for a gas can. Chances are i will drop the Fobus pouch as i can carry a spare mag in the G17 holster, and to be honest where i am playing 2 spare back up mags may be more than i need. I can get 2 loads off per gas fill on the G17 and will easy do 3 or 4 loads on the MK23 mags so carrying a gas can may be uneeded. The plan is to lone wolf the games and go looking for trouble as well as ranged sniping, pop off a few then run away, the G17 is for moments when i run into trouble, make lots of noise lay down some fire and run away..... then reload and stalk again :)

• 4 weeks later...

#1 Place: Digicon Straight Custom built similar to RW's "Coffin Nail", but with stiffer hammer spring and silencer adapter threaded into the upper slide.

Stable barrel design, single and double action, 25+ rounds, double chamber mag and comes stock with a full metal rail for a scope.

Choice of hard or soft bucking with the KM SCS adapter kit, and the "foot" provides the best hop available.

Dig113S3.jpg

http://classicairsoft.org/xforum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=9611&start=0&hilit=digicon

2nd Place: Maruzen M93R nbb with PDI 6.01, custom hammer spring and honed out silencer to slip over barrel.

Dig13.jpg

booster that M93r looks sooo much fun, 3 rd burst fire FTW, wish my Mk23 had that function :rifle:

This is the non-blowback version, so it's only single or double action.

It will however deliver (at max fps) 5xx with .29's on Propane.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=138450&st=0&p=1711691&hl=maruzen&fromsearch=1entry1711691

The mag's release valve is atrocious though and requires a stiffer spring, plus the hop has no replacement and is easily damaged due to its soft durometer.

It still looks good booster, even with single/double action only.

Well, not so much sniper pistol at the weekend, i went out in the snow.

The day started well, several inchs of snow here in North Lincs (LAC Kirton2 site) the sun was out, my M14 was bagging at 50m all was well, 2nd game the only working M14 mag jammed and i couldnt fix it, did try, didnt want to lose bits in the snow so grabbed my SMG. The 2 fully charged 8.4 mini sticks managed about 300rds between them then died, just too cold. Tried my TM G17, about 10 shots then too little pressure, in the warm it will do about 60 shots.

Went with the Mk23 :rolleyes: a dip in performance but effective to 20-25 meters, thats a rough guess as it was very hard to track white BBs against a white background, got some black BBs, why oh why didnt i take them.

How cold was it ? sub zero, lots of battery death through out the day, the trend seems to be mini packs, the large packs coped better with the cold, apart from a Nineball hop rubber my TM is stock and was running on Abbey Ultra, others had pistols but i never saw anyone else use them. And to think i thought about selling it..... could they be the ultimate winter pistol ?

• 6 months later...

the kjw mark 1 carbine?

Only after you get used to the DA trigger. Seen a lot of newbies complain about inaccuracy; kept jerking the trigger they did.

Another Ruger, my Super Blackhawk.

IMG_1656.jpg

Doesn't quite perform much actually, compared to my other precision handguns at the least. Will try and bodge on a Tanio Koba twist barrel to see if it helps, not that I have many options of 8mm tightbores to choose from.

the kjw mark 1 carbine?

Its about as accurate as a politicians speeches.

DAO trigger I can manage, but it is long and heavy. What you can't deal with is the pathetically designed hop unit and the fact that the barrel is loose (by design) so it never sits the same way twice. Not an airsoft gun I would bother with for any reason.

fireknife, I meant other than that. and as far as I am aware they are replicas od dan wesson revolvers. not a common make but a make all the same.

Mount a scope to it or drill and tap a rail set to it, that is about it.

Also it is not a Dan Wesson, the name is on there to tie it in with the Dan Wesson guns, no real steel revolver by them has that much surface area between the cylinder and grip.

'FireKnife'

• 2 months later...

Working on a quick detach stock for the Mk23.

Hmmmm the heady smell of resin in a confined space.......smells like pure win.......if it works ?

Been meaning to have a proper go at this for ages. I blame Renegadecow and blue peter (british tv show).

After some cups of tea and some more thinking i got to work. Keeping it simple, a plain T-bar stock is the easy bit, getting it to attach and stay put is something else.

:) be back tomorrow with another piccy.

Edit.. about time someone bumped this thread back to life, and Lax, love the shiny monster above.

Getting there.

Bit more sanding down and shaping, fine tuning etc etc. Should be able to play it at the weekend :)

A bit messy working with resin and fibre glass mat. I was going to try and make a butt catch to work with the lanyard bar. Its doable but i dont have the tools for fine working a small metal catch.

A wrap around outer grip style which will be held in place on the pistol grip by velcro straps. Just sanding down to fit my hands. I think i could do better (a MK II ) the first half of the grip was messy, i got used to working the resin/matt by the second half.

Any mistakes can be sanded down and then rebuilt up or over with fresh resin/matt, it's just taking time, and i am kind of making it up as i go along.

The real problem is how to attach as the TM MK 23 is not made of heavy duty material. A case of sanding down, test fit, then sand some more.

Not being used to working with fibre glass i am unsure on how thick to lay it up. Maybe a touch overbuilt but then it should hold up in play ok.

A finished piccy later on.

Archived