Reputation now working

Well it appears that I forgot to enable the reputation system as the number of up/down votes people could make against someone's topic or post was set to zero.

I have now fixed this. Groups have been setup to allow a reasonable amount of up/down votes per 24hours period.

How does it work? Well at the bottom right corner of a topic/post is a plus and minus sign which allows users to vote posts up and down depending on their feelings on the content.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it at all possible to view who's given you reps?

No.

how can you find out what view or comment has been marked ?

You can't.

Didn't the forum bin the Rep system aaaagggggeeeesssss ago?

Is bringing a new Rep system back really a good idea? :unsure:

1. Yes.

2. It has some advantages over the old one, I think-- the anonymity and lack of a comment box makes it harder to attack people and start flame wars.

Last time I checked it was possible to use your entire daily quota on one person's posts, so that may have to be adjusted.

Reputation levels can be set. They are currently at:

Title Image Points

Bad -20

Poor -10

Neutral 0

Good 10

Excellent 20

• A custom image can be set for each level.
  • Reputation type (pos/neg/both)
  • Highlight content above X points (anything rep'd above a certain level gets automatically flagged on the forum)
  • Display user reputation
  • Display content points

Then for each user group these settings apply:

• Maximum number of positive reputation points this group can give in a 24 hour period
  • Maximum number of negative reputation points this group can give in a 24 hour period

Now there's several options I here that can solve potential problems. Individual user rep can be hidden, this would allow posts to be rated without the user seeing their own total rating. The system could be switched to a "positive only" system.. etc.

Harsh? *shrug*

Until and unless forum Mods/Admins start banning people for having a "rep" level below a certain amount, who the hell cares? Worry about your Warn Status, not your Rep Points. The first one will get you banned, the second one won't get you anything, no matter how good or bad your Rep is.

It doesn't mean anything. Especially since most forum users probably haven't even noticed the little plus/minus icons at the corner of posts, know what they're for or bother to use them.

The whole thing seems pretty pointless to me, if I'm honest.

Edited by Hedganian

Harsh? *shrug*

Until and unless forum Mods/Admins start banning people for having a "rep" level below a certain amount, who the hell cares? Worry about your Warn Status, not your Rep Points. The first one will get you banned, the second one won't get you anything, no matter how good or bad your Rep is.

It doesn't mean anything. Especially since most forum users probably haven't even noticed the little plus/minus icons at the corner of posts, know what they're for or bother to use them.

The whole thing seems pretty pointless to me, if I'm honest.

Obviously you missed this thread here. There are consequences for having negative feedback, as people who view your profile can see it and interpret the info anyway they feel.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=189034

Edited by frogfish

If the system was limited to positive only, wouldn't that make it even more pointless? If you can only get positive points do those points mean anything?

That was brought up in the other thread about reputation I linked. Even as it stands now it means very little, but some people do not understand that. I had a -5 rating a while ago with 3 for sale adds and lost two potential customers because they thought the - rep actually meant something and they didn't want to risk being scammed. As it stands now I got a negative rep for linking the past thread, and I'll probably get one for this one from some nitwit who thinks it's funny or thinks I'm an *albatross*.

Edited by frogfish

So far i've - 9 rep for asking a question on this thread Zzz.gif . If the reputation is something that needs to be there either make so only people posting in that thread can mark up/down ( to stop randoms just making people because it funny ) .

Like alot of things in life poeple do things that THEY think is funny without looking at the consequences, as Frogfish said its affected his trading.

Sad really huh.gif

Kinda got two threads going with the same discussion on: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=189034&st=20&gopid=2380765entry2380765

I've now disabled the display of the reputation rank in user profiles for the moment.

I'm tempted to rename it "post rating"/"content rated"/"community rating" or something similar so as not to confuse (with similar styled ranks such as "pointless poster","help for heroes" etc), as some users still think that reputation has something to do with trades or sales.

I think post rating works well, just something to get away from the "user reputation", and clear up any confusion. I just don't want weather or not someone thinks my comments are mean or bad to affect weather or not I can sell an item.

Edited by frogfish

A lot of my concern with the system is there's no oversight and no accountability. Anyone could just go around clicking the little plus and minus symbols on random posts for whatever reason they feel like.

OR someone could purposely set out to damage the rating of another user by rating all their posts down. Or enhance their rating by rating them up. Not with regard to the post content, but rather to artificially alter the rating of a given user for reasons of their own.

I just see a lot of potential for problems and not a lot of potential for gain to counterbalance it...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.