SKS Type 56 Carbine

renegadecow

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trouble with power tools and plastic is that the plastic can often melt due to the heat produced.

You need to use as slow a speed as possible, and use very light pressure on any tools.

For instance, you'll find that most Dremel type tools spin at much too high a speed for working on plastics.

The slowest setting on mine is 10000rpm, and most plastics melt to the drill bit when you try to drill them with it, unless you do just a mm or so at a time, and cool the drill bit in water between goes.

A hand drill is invaluable when working plastics, or a power drill with wide-range variable speed.

It's the same with sanding discs/drums/flap-wheels.

Too high a speed will cause the plastic to melt and clog the abrasive surface.

One of the best finishing tools is simply a sharp blade (e.g. Stanley Knife blade) dragged across the surface at 90° to the direction of movement.

It gives a very smooth finish.

Partly why I favor PVC. It has a much higher melting point than ABS but still relatively as strong. I can hit it with a grinder at 15,000 rpm or even the router at 25,000 and it still won't turn to mush. You have to take care of respiratory protection though as it produces a very fine powder this way.

One of the best finishing tools is simply a sharp blade (e.g. Stanley Knife blade) dragged across the surface at 90° to the direction of movement.

It gives a very smooth finish.

a luthier (guitar maker), btw, gets very smooth surface finishing that way too. :) the tool used, however is a knife-edged flexible scraper ;)

So pulled a renagadecow and made a pvc sheet tonight. Used mostly a heat gun then finished off in the oven real quick. Came out good for a first try. Not perfectly flat but it works for what I need. I flatten it more when its in the smaller pieces. Cant wait for an update renegade.

Thanks guys!

Well, the flu and the neighbors complaining about the noise. Have to move my work station indoors during the following week so I've got some thinking time on my hands. What I'm stuck at now is deciding if I should butcher the M14 aluminum outer barrel I have now, or try and find a suitable steel pipe (my original intended 1/2" conduit pipe actually measures larger so I can't use it) and sell the M14 barrel assembly to get some cash back.

@BFOUR

on heating PVC, make sure you don't burn the stuff because the released chlorine gas is kinda harmful. Try PMing Meathead on tips in using an electric stove as he's worked out a routine for it. I use an open top gas stove myself only because it allows me to do large sheets (flattened by segment).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right, back to work. Will be a slow start though. Despite having my arms conditioned by intense labor for years, all it takes is 48 hours of Minecraft to get me debilitated (both physically and mentally). Was worried sick that I'd developed CTS (which requires surgery to fix) but it turns out I only have a compressed ulnar nerve so all I need is to lay off the damn games.

Had to redo the handguard end caps as I had absentmindedly patterned the first attempt to an AK, which were too big by about 1/3 the size. Also started work on the front sight assembly with the sleeve already glued in place.

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

Archived