SKS Type 56 Carbine

renegadecow

Front sight and bayonet lug. Ended up going plastic-fantastic again as I quit half way trying to make them out of steel. Seemed strong enough on their own though as I've bolted them on the barrel apart from the usual glue.

IMG_1108.jpg

frontsight.jpg

Should they get shot off or broken off when I'm stabbing somebody with the pig sticker, I may rebuild them in steel as I've been eyeballing a cheap MIG welder.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! I keep it a point to take pictures when the parts are almost done so's they'll look tidy. I'm struggling to make the spike bayonet and honestly it wouldn't even pass for a prison shiv with what it looks like now.

@Burke

You mean the bends on the side of the mag? After cutting out the side panels, I drew on the lines of the folds and used a lighter to heat just the line itself. When the material was soft enough to manipulate but still had some resistance to it (so it won't sag), I put the pencil mark against the edge of a table and pressed either side with steel rulers (or anything flat I can reach) to the right angle until it cooled. Then I did the same thing for the next fold.

Done with the spike bayonet. I made the lock fixed and the hinge squared off so the bayonet will be semi-permanently fixed and cannot be deployed easily mid game (requires removal of hinge screw). Even if its plastic, the spike is pretty rigid and could seriously injure someone just as much as the steel one so I made it a point to keep it extra safe mid game.

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

Also got to tweaking my camera. Past pictures were very dim.

edit:

Your attention to detail is great :D

OC-14 groza front set next maybe? :P Got a Kalash receiver with GBB innards which could use such a conversion ;)

Thanks. An OC-14 has been in my "list" for as long as I can remember. But GBB (AKS74U) really is the only way to go so I'm waiting for WE's offering first before I decide on picking one up to butcher.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for being a complete lethard. Got the flu (again!) and I have the tendency of procrastinating all the more when work starts to pile up. Have little accomplished from last, mainly the stock cap and trigger guard. I've put the whole action over the stock template to make it seem I've done so much more. Real steel rear sight is installed and I've got my sks bandoleer ready. :)

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

edit:

to put into perspective where I am in the build, I still have to:

-modify hop chamber

-finish magazine that holds the shotshell

-put on a front sight post

-make little fiddly bits like the receiver pin, gas tube pin, stock pin

-modify trigger profile

-make the stock

-paint

Thanks, and... I GOT WOOD!!!

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

Haven't glued the main sections (middle and left section already glued) as there are a few high points on the receiver that need some more fitting. Stock is made of 3 layers of plywood, each measuring 15mm thick (though the label clearly says 18mm! :angry: ). Now because of that, the inner sides are becoming dangerously thin, and I'd say just about as thin as the real one. So instead of reducing any more of the wood for fitting purposes, I'll be sanding off the receiver thickness a bit.

IMG_1180.jpgnor2i.jpg

If you're worried about the strength (or lack of it) of the thin sections, you could try some wood hardener on those sections.

It's meant for use on things like rotten window frames, it's basically a resin that soaks into the wood, and reinforces it.

If you applied it on the inner surfaces, it should give a useful increase in strength, without soaking through to the outer plies and spoiling the finish.

Try it on some scrap pieces first though, to see how far it penetrates.

Wood Hardener.

...and no DarkLight, you can't use it on bodily parts waggle.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Yes: I have greatly underestimated the extent of my laziness. After treating myself to a beautiful Colt single action, I found spending most of my free time watching westerns and practicing twirling techniques :P

To which, more out of shame, I've picked up the SKS again. Spent half the day fitting and bedding the action, glued the two halves and now it fits almost perfectly.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

Will try reinforcing the thin areas as Doc suggests, but now that everything fits snugly I don't think it's even necessary.

Archived