SKS Type 56 Carbine

renegadecow

Thanks again for all the support guys. Not all too sure what I'll be making (for myself) next. But top of the list is that new Kel Tec shotgun. That or a 45-70 Sharps carbine.

I want to see a Mini-14 or AC-556.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=127613&st=0 :)

What paint do you use, and is it particularly tough?

Bosny acrylic epoxy. About as tough as Krylon. What I like about it especially is how well it binds with plastics. On metals, not so much as you still have to roughen or prime the surface first.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had totally forgotten about the mini-14, that was such a nice build. Renegade, have you ever considered actually seeking employment in R&D in an airsoft company or do you prefer to keep your creations as a hobby? Your ability to just figure out how to build random guns is quite astonishing I must say.

Thanks again guys. Glad you enjoyed the 6-7 month show *groans*.

R&D in an airsoft company

That's a nice pipe dream I'd say. For one I'm not versed in 3D modelling which is a requirement for that sort of work. I'm more attracted to the environment of smaller companies that do garage kits like Poseidon and Elfin Knights Project.

how much

metal

build them to sell

Compressed work time (was on and off this project), I'd say $300-400 total. I'd want to have it in metal, but truth of the matter is I'm quite happy with it being plastic after skirmishing with it last Sunday. And while some parts are easier to make in metal sheets, some will need to be cast like the bolt so that's gonna cost a lot. In making more, not any time soon. Still don't know what to do with all the people clamoring for a VSS.

• 5 weeks later...

It's ALIVE!!! Now shoots and feeds reliably (approximately 400fps), and as a bonus can empty the whole 30-round shotshell to the last bb! I modified the M14 hop considerably to take the shells and was able to shorten the feed tube enough for the magazine follower to push all the bb's up.

IMG_1326.jpg

*chamber turned to the side

Also had to make it into a semi-fixed hop because of the low ceiling when the dummy bolt carrier is in place. You have to slide back the metal cover on the chamber exposing the bucking and all you do is change bucking size or add some kind of spacer. Right now it has an insulation tube from an 18g wire. The nozzle is also extended: two nozzles put together. It's holding pretty ok right now, but if it fails in the future I'll be replacing it with a Marui SOPMOD M4 nozzle.

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

With side walls installed in mag holding shell in place.

IMG_1330-1.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

Did a number on the trigger too. You could still see the seam line of the added material.

IMG_1331.jpg

With cleaning rod (non-removable) and vent cutouts on the handguard. Plus I painted the bolt and spike.

IMG_1311.jpg

How much would it cost you to make me one, i got a blank check, bakeing soda, and willing to do whatever you want for a darkwood version. Byond excellent work, RS should copy this ;)

Thanks! As much as I'd want to fill that check of yours with too many zeroes, I'm back to square one in not-able-to-ship-anything-big-and-gun-looking. Was all hopeful with my VSS build as a whole bunch of people wanted copies and I found a courier that can ship RIFs, but later found out that they don't and just trying to use them would still be a gamble (sometimes they check the package, sometimes they don't when they're lazy). Until I find a 100% safe way to send stuff, I'm not risking it.

Btw, what's the baking soda for?

Archived