JG G3-SG1 (T3-K1)

I have a Jing Gong G3-SG1 that I bought about 6 months ago.

Packaging & Freebies: Fine, exactly what you'd expect, all the usual bs on the box, manual is good, clear and gives you the basic info. Incuded battery is 8.4v 1500mah standard type that fits in the stock, just enough for a light day's skirmishing but I quickly bought a 3300mah which I now use as my main battery so I can't really comment on the longevity of the included battery as I only really use it for mucking about or as a back up. Included charger was a 2 pin style which, again, does work but I quickly bought an intelligent charger to handle my other batteries too.

Hi cap mag (500rnds) and winding key - this is an absolute god send and makes winding mags loads quicker than using the wheel on the bottom.

I should probably mention here that a friend of mine bought a JG G3-RAS at the same time as me, and his mag disintegrated after 2 days of field use. I have 4 JG hi-caps all together and touch wood not one of them has any problems to date.

External: Mostly ABS, but quite sturdy, no real "trades" but what markings their are seem "realistic" and don't detract from using it. No flex or creaking that I notice. Bipod was a little loose out of the box but a quick half turn with a screwdriver and it settles down nicely. I've dropped it more than once and nothing has broken yet! Has a nice heft to it being such a long gun but is also nicely balanced (and not front heavy like the G3-RAS)

Internal: From my limited knowledge of internals, seems quite good, metal gears, slightly over greased (but not to the extent that I've seen in a lot of reviews of china made guns). Very easy to takedown, barrel comes out with 3 screws/pins. It does have plastic bushings which I will probably replace when I do a service over the winter.

Magazines: It comes with a metal 500 round mag which fits well, as do all other metal JG mags, I've also tried a metal TM Hicaps which also fit with no problems. I have a box of mid cap mags from Kings Arms which are a tight fit and don't feed properly but I think this is the mags fault from other comments on t'internet.

Performance: Out of the box it chronoed at about 340-360fps (mostly 340's but the occaisional spiker). This settled down to about 330-340 after a few games.

Groupings were about 8 inches at 12 metres on full auto, more like 6 inches on semi, but to be fair once fitted with a scope and zeroed I was managing to hit a coke can at the same range 1 in 3 shots.

This was my first gun and due to a mishap in cleaning, it started double feeding so I had to get it apart. It is amazingly simple, one pin on the front of the lower receiver and 2 on the stock, the stock comes off and then the lower receiver pulls away from the upper, you then have the gearbox and lower in one hand which you can then go to town on undoing aload more screws, or at the time all I needed to do was get at the barrel and hop unit which slides right out.

It was at this time that I decided to try a replacement barrel while fitting a new hopup rubber. I fitted a Madbull 6.03 509mm barrel and Systema hop rubber.

FPS is now more consistent at 345-350fps (with 0.2g ammo), but the real treat was that groupings on semi auto at 12 metres with 0.25g ammo went down to about 2 inches, it's awesome. I can hit a coke can about 8 times in 10 with it if there's no wind. I did have to modify the flash hider slightly to get this barrel to fit as it is marginally longer than the standard one too. (I guess you can consider this a very positive review for MadBull barrels too!)

I'll update with pics when I get a chance.

Reliability:

As I say, I've had this gun 6 months of 1 to 2 games per month, I've probably gone through about 30,000 rounds, I clean the barrel after every game and I've had 0 problems (other than me buggering up my own hop rubber). I've had the gearbox apart once, but that was just out of interest to teach myself how to do it.

Overall: I absolutely love this gun, including all the extras and upgrades it has cost me about £250. It is a little long and unwieldy so moving in a rush can be a bit tricky, as is moving and firing at the same time, but treated more like a DMR with a little more thought put in to positioning yourself and moving up slowly, it kicks *albatross*.

Mini review - I also have a Galaxy MP5K which looks a bit cheap and plasticy and after about 5 metres rounds bend up at 90 degrees where the hop up is too strong even on it's lowest setting, but as a back up / CQB weapon it does it's job (and it did only cost me £70). Also the battery is a complete pain in the *albartroth* to get in and out.

I'm so happy with this MP5K, that I've just bought a Umarex USP Match (gas non-blowback) as well/instead.

• 3 weeks later...

I just parted one of those. Front end is not up to TM specs. You can put TM parts on the JG but the JG parts won't fit on the TM. Motor is pretty good actually. So is the hop-up mechanism. However the hop-up packing can be tossed. Use a SystemA BS barrel over a Prommy it fits better in the hop-up unit and the .01mm difference is not an issue.

Its nice that it has a brass feed nozzle.

The accuracy is see is not so much the barrel but the heavier bb's. You can do the same with the stock barrel

Nicce review. I own two JG G3s, one is the A3 and the other is the RAS version. One thing I noticed when I opened the mechboxes of both guns was the size of the bushings. On the A3, it uses 6mm while the RAS uses 7mm bushings. The RAS had a metal spring guide while the A3 had a plastic version. Finally, the motor on A3 looked like a clone of a TM EG560 while the RAS uses motor of its M4 lineup so it could be a clone of the EG700.

Both guns are still working and I haven't done any major upgrades save for stiffer springs, metal bushings and a metal spring guide for the A3. I'm still using the stock battery which has held on even after a year of use (I guess I was just lucky, most stock batteries don't last that long). Overall, I'm happy with the performance of both guns. With their stock barrels, they shoot far enough when laying down suppressive fire to keep users of M4s at bay. My only gripe is that external parts, like the receivers, are hard to find so I tend to be cautious when I use either one in a game.

Edited by sear
  • 4 weeks later...

my T3-K1 has 7mm bushings - the gears were also perfectly shimmed from the factory, although I did have to adjust this slightly as I have now installed;

SHS M140 Spring

SHS full metal-teeth piston

Element Silent piston head & cylinder head (with bearings)

Ares 7mm steel bushings

SHS bearing metal spring guide

systema nozzle

dream army mosfet

the mosfet was on ebay, all the rest ordered from ehobbyasia, everything took about 2 weeks to arrive and total cost was about £60-70 with all the shipping

I also chopped off a section of the selector plate to make it semi auto only (and put a back stop in so there's no way it can accidentally switch itself on to full auto).

it's back together and working, fired about 100 rounds through it so far with no problems, not had a chance to chrono it yet though - have seen an M4 with a similar setup shooting 440FPS and that would be perfect for what I want (site limit 450fps for single shot leccy). I had mentally prepared myself for needing a stronger motor or battery to drive that spring, but seems to be working great so far.

• 1 month later...

I've got the G3 RAS version and although it feeds fine on its own JG hi-cap it came with i've got a box of 5 KA mids sitting in a box doing nothing because they're a real tight fit in the magwell and when you do get em in there they don't feed right <_<

Anyone got any idea's of what to do?

I sucks cuz I hate using hi-caps and really want them working :rolleyes:

love the thing tho, its getting rewired to the front so it can have a sliding stock fitted ;)

cant wait

Yeah, I'm afraid there are some makes of G3 magazine that just don't fit JG's, I had two included as part of a bulk deal with a TM MC-51. If you look at the top of the magazine (and if it's anything like the problem I had) you'll notice the rings around the feed opening are different thicknesses, with mine I just enlarged the inner diameter of the TM compatible ones until they loaded comfortably in the JG, that was the only modification needed.

My mate and I have experienced the same problems with the KA mags! When I got mine, they were stiff as hell to get into the magwell, but after a few days of playing about with them (loading/unloading), the seemed to fit in ok. My mate's done the same thing recently with his JG G3A3, and it seems to be a common fault. He reports that the KA's don't misfeed, rather they double-feed, which leads to accidental jamming sometimes. Our thoughts are that the connection between mag and gun are not quite aligning properly and/or are slightly different sizes, causing these feed issues.

As others have said, the supplied JG hicap mag works fine, but the quality is something of a let down - mine completely disassembled itself during an extraction from a mag pouch the other year, and never worked properly again after that :( The gun itself is a fantastic piece of airsoft manufacturing, and I still to this day kick myself for letting it go. Thankfully, my mate lets me have a play with his every now and then, but it's just not the same as owning your own!

@Wingman

I believe it is possible since the G3 uses a version 2 gearbox. I can't vouch for every G3 JG made but it seems like the gearboxes on these guns are easier to open and close. Parts like the ARL don't popping out like on my old M4. This is true for my RAS and A3 units. What parts does your SG-1 have?

@paul7848

Your welcome. First time I tried it in a CQB site I had to stay in the back most of the time and got hit a lot because I could maneuver fast enough. The length of the gun plus the fact I got used to crawling on my belly all the time made me an easy target. But once I got a good spot and started shooting heads usually ducked. And that was with the stock battery. Now that I'm using a lipoly, I usually give cover fire to the guys doing the assault.

@Wingman

I believe it is possible since the G3 uses a version 2 gearbox. I can't vouch for every G3 JG made but it seems like the gearboxes on these guns are easier to open and close. Parts like the ARL don't popping out like on my old M4. This is true for my RAS and A3 units. What parts does your SG-1 have?

Metal bushings, metal spring guide with bushings, Systema Allu piston head, Systema M120 spring, Guarder silicon bucking, Systema 6,03 TBB, Dean connector and running and 7.4v LiPo.

I have some wood G3 stock and handguard, but I'm yet to modify them to fit.

I got an older JG G3a3 with a RAS frontend second hand - had plastic 6mm bushings and was in dire need of a cleanup, as it had been used stock for two or three years.

I pretty much tore everything out and redid her:

1) Rewired and installed one of my homebuilt mosfets

2) M110 spring (site limit)

3) Metal spring guide

4) ELEMENT Piston and piston head with bearing

5) 6mm steel bushings

6) Selector chip

7) ELEMENT G3 airseal nozzle

8) G&P full cylinder

9) Guarder clear hop-up rubber

10) ELEMENT H nub

11) ELEMENT Ultra-torque motor

12) Deans connectors and a 9.6v large battery

She's doing 25rps at 365fps. Quite nice, thanks. :D

Vidjo: th_VIDEO0005.jpg

just a follow up to my previous post; I am now running the following;

SHS M140 Spring

SHS full metal-teeth piston

Element Silent piston head & cylinder head (with bearings)

Ares 7mm steel bushings

SHS bearing metal spring guide

systema nozzle

dream army mosfet

it chronoed at 418, I wanted just that little bit more and the accuracy wasn't great so I did some research and swapped out the hop bucking for a MadBull Shark with H-nub, seems the MadBull barrel loves the Madbull bucking and it now chronos at over 460!! 45FPS increase from just the bucking, amazing, also shoots far more accurate with 0.25's, have got some 0.3g on order to see how they go too

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised as M140 = 460FPS, just goes to show what a difference all the other parts can make too.

I am hoping it calms down a little with use as site limit is 450... other site I go to is 425 so I can put the other bucking back in and hope the h-nub improves accuracy on that one too