Searching doesn't allow to jump to a post

I noticed that when you search, in a topic or in a/the forum, the results will always link to the start of a topic but not the message itself. This makes searching in large topics very hard and will result in more questions being repeated because of this. You CAN find the post if you click on the posters' name and hope that they haven't done much posting, so you can find it in his post history.

Thank you for the tips, but it doesn't seem to work. If I search inside a topic, it just mentions the first 20-30 words and the link is always the start of the topic.

If I use advanced search, I can not seem to search for multiple words in one post, so it finds a lot of posts non-related and the results caps off at 200 posts.

Edited by Phuncz
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, but only to the first post.

Would you like to help me with a test ? I've written a reply in a topic a while ago and it contained these exact words: "misfeeds and doublefeeds". If you can find it, using the search, without browsing through pages of topics, I'm apparently mentally ill and will proceed to better myself. I'll give you a tip: at the moment I'm on search results page 2.

I tried and I can't get the without searching for it, there is no link in the search function that lets me hop to a specific post, only to the start of a topic which contains the post.

Edited by Phuncz

Well apparently the problem seems to be isolated as I'm not having the same experience as other users. I'm using the latest Firefox 3.6 release and this is what I get:

search1.jpg

search2.jpg

As you can see, the title links to the start of the topic. And I don't see that arrow either, which I was looking for in the first place. I'm going to test disabling extensions in Firefox and deleting any cookies to find out what is causing this...

EDIT:

SOLUTION FOUND!

Forum Results Display -> "Show results as a list" gave me the above problem, changing it to "Show results as a forum" fixed it !

I'm sorry I didn't find it earlier, it apparently never crossed my mind to check that setting.

Thank you for all the help guys, it is greatly appreciated !

Edited by Phuncz