Flecktarn Pictures

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya mehlers have a kevlar collar and pockets for a front and back plate. I only got one because I found an almost perfect condition one for $150 hehehe. That was an awesome deal. The only thing I don tlke about it is the lack of space for water. You can put canteen pouches on the front but they move around a lot. Im probably going to get a flecktarn pack to put a camelbak into. Can anyone direct to where I can find a flecktarn hydration carrier? Not a full backpack but just a carrier? I saw obiwan had one in the first few pages of this thread but I havent found anything on the web the several times Ive searched.

Sorry for the double post but it wont let me edit my last one anymore.

Anyways onto the Mehler. Before anyone thinks Im just doing a halfarsed German loadout, I have picked non issued equipment when I find it to be better than the issued counterparts. Or, in the case of the goggles that I never use, cheaper. Bonus points to anyone who recognizes the black and white shoulder patches

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

And finally, my weekend warrior loadout:

IMG_0249.jpg

Seraphim, do you have the actual mehler kevlar inserts in your ST vest? If yes, could you please make a size/form comparison between the mehler kevlars and the old flak vest kevlars?

Just wondering if the old kevlars would fit inside the ST. I could get a prime condition ST vest without the kevlar inserts for about 70€ shipped, and the older flak vest would cost me 12 euros. Much cheaper than getting the vest with original mehler inserts (~180€).

Anyway, nice pics. What kind of helmet are you wearing? Judging by the chin straps it's not the standard BW one? Or is it just the lighting/camera that makes them look different?

Im kinda confused as to what you are referring to. The Mehler has kevlar in its collar and spaces to take ceramic plates but other than that I dont think it takes other armor. I might be wrong though. Please clarify a bit. About my helmet, it's a PASGT with an issue cover and upgraded suspension. Ive been thinking about getting the BW three point chinstrap though. The helmets are almost exactly the same shape, the PASGt is just much easier to find

The ST style vest _should_ have pockets just like the flak vest to accommodate large, soft kevlar inserts. I've seen a friend's vest and it had velcro or zipper openings (can't remember which) at the bottom. I know it has the armor plate pockets as well.

But generally, they are sold either without any protection, with SK1 protection level, or with SK1+SK4 protection levels, which suggests it has soft and hard armouring separately.

As you may know, SK1 is the german protection level designation for shrapnel protection (the standard flak vest is SK1) and SK4 means hard ceramic plates(/SAPI plates?).

Edited by LordOfTheFinns

Came across this picture of the SK1 inserts for the ST style vest: Pic. Seems pretty similar to the ones in the flak vest, so they might actually be interchangeable.

Are you guys actually telling me your vests don't have any spaces for these? I didn't guite understand what Skarclaw meant by pockets on the sides and things in the chest area going around the sides etc.

Ill check when I get home but I dont remember any other pockets for soft armor. Also, Ive put real plate into mine before and it is a very tight fit. I do not see how you could fit soft armor into those pockets along with the plates.

Now that i look at it there are in fact two strips of velcro along the bottom edge of the inside of the vest. It can fit the standard soft armor panels behind the ceramic plates

Edited by Seraphim989
Came across this picture of the SK1 inserts for the ST style vest: Pic. Seems pretty similar to the ones in the flak vest, so they might actually be interchangeable.

Are you guys actually telling me your vests don't have any spaces for these? I didn't guite understand what Skarclaw meant by pockets on the sides and things in the chest area going around the sides etc.

Basically you have one large pocket on the front and on the back the same shape as that soft armour in your post. I assume you'd be able to put hard armour on the other side of it.

Actually thats not correct. The pouches for the plates are rectangular and are on the outside of the vest the spaces for the soft armor are accessible by a velcro strip that runs the entire width of the the vest. it look sto be made to fit BALCS cut soft armor like this

Ive heard the FLAK vest uses a six panel configuration for its kevlar so I dont think ti would fit in the mehler

Edited by Seraphim989
Ive heard the FLAK vest uses a six panel configuration for its kevlar so I dont think ti would fit in the mehler

The flak vest has indeed six kevlar panels: Two for the collars, two for the shoulder pads and two for the main body (front and back). The main panels are quite similar in size and form to the Mehler inserts.

EDIT: Here's some of my flecktarn awesomeness from fall 2008:

post-44302-1248177488_thumb.jpg

post-44302-1248177548_thumb.jpg

Edited by LordOfTheFinns

The soft armor inserst for the Mehler vest have a unique cut that is similar to neither the one of the flak vest panels nor BALCS-cut panels:

sk1einlagen2hbkw.jpg

You can see that the bottom of the panels is arched, which is not the case for other panels.

You can, however, fit flak vest panels into the Mehler vest, if you have a medium-short flak vest.

• 2 weeks later...

I started this thread 4 years ago and here I am looking for ideas to redo my kit when I finally get back into playing again. <_<

Looking into some IdZ stuff, but wondering what pouches I would need to get for a SAW gunner setup with a M249 (I know its not an MG4 but I can hope for a conversion kit??)