Marui UZI Warning!

renegadecow

For the few who even use the Uzi for skirmish, this random technical data may save your gun.

My TM Uzi bit the dust some few weeks ago; the sector and spur gear gave way. But with a miraculous save by Sean Chan I'm able to obtain a set of replacement gears. However what irks me is why the gears gave way considering I had a TM AUG before that's met much more abuse before the stock gears broke. If its anything I learned from the Cylons, "all of this has happened before, and it will all happen again". So I quickly set to investigate the nature of the gear breakage and root out the cause, and I'm thankful that I did.

The first tooth of the sector gear had broken off and its debris got caught in the spur gear which also damaged it before the fuse could short out and save it. With no damage to any other part or teeth I'm led to believe the AOE (angle of engagement) is to blame. I then noticed the piston teeth, which is a separate piece from the piston on the Uzi as having a severely skewed AOE. Only the very tip of the first tooth would engage against the piston teeth which would greatly amplify its stress. On the back of the piston teeth assembly, a square polycarbonate disc and a cube of what looks like a pencil eraser acts as a buffer.

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

*close up of gap

From previously opening the gearbox for inspection much earlier, I distinctly remember the rubber cube being larger and filling out the entire space it sits in. Now the part is very mushy and looks to have been compacted from being pounded by the piston teeth. This effectively put the rest state of the piston teeth a good 1~1.5mm rearwards, messing with the AOE.

IMG_0714.jpg

The fix is simple: fill the gap in and you correct the AOE. Not trusting the old material in that it may compress even further in time, I replaced it entirely with a cube of hot glue, a material I know has little shrinkage but good elastic properties.

Archived