iPhone hassles

Stealthbomber

I have a home network which has 2 wired PCs with static IPs, a data server with a static IP and up to 3 laptops which sometimes swap IPs depending on what order they're hooked up.

Never had any problems using my iPhone on the same network until recently.

Couple of days ago I was merrily surfing the net on my laptop with no problems and, after seeing a freeware "light cycles" game I had the urge to see if there was something similar for the iPhone.

Started the iPhone up and I got a message saying the network connection was unavailable.

Given that it's normally "idiot-proof" I tried disabling wifi and then re-enabling it and, when that didn't work, I switched the phone off and back on again.

That worked.

Joy!

Ten minutes later I pick up my laptop again and discover that it's no longer connected to the internet via wifi.

The error message reports that another device is using the same IP address.

Disable wifi and re-enable it and the problem remains.

Disable wifi on my iPhone and the laptop is working again.

After a bit of experimentation it's become apparent that the iPhone now seems to always "hijack" the IP of an existing wifi connection rather than picking a free one.

It doesn't matter how many other laptops are connected to the router. 3 laptops all work fine together.

Regardless of whether I have 1, 2 or 3 laptops connected to the router the iPhone always now hijacks an in-use IP.

I can't see any way to specify an IP for the iPhone to use and I don't really want to configure all my laptops just to suit the iPhone and, besides, I'm not sure it'd help cos the iPhone doesn't always hijack the same IP although it now ALWAYS uses one that one of my laptops is using.

Anybody got any suggestions for how to make the iPhone work smoothly and in an idiot-proof manner, as it used to?

Bin it and get an android phone? :P

This :P

Although, seriously -

Do you have any other IP addresses actually available - it's possible to restrict the range of addresses allowed to be given out, and if you've done this, then the devices not assigned a permanent one will fight for the remaining ones.

Meh, I'm sure most people who take the mickey out of the iPhone have never actually used one.

There are phones with more features than the iPhone but I've yet to see a phone that operates as smoothly as the iPhone does.... usually.

This :P

Although, seriously -

Do you have any other IP addresses actually available - it's possible to restrict the range of addresses allowed to be given out, and if you've done this, then the devices not assigned a permanent one will fight for the remaining ones.

As I already said, it doesn't seem to matter how many wifi connections are in use. The iPhone ALWAYS hijacks one that's already in use.

Until the software goes bad.

As stealth said, Iphones are massivly popular due to their ease of use. Compared to an Android phone, nu-uh Iphones are easier.

Oh, and i've had numero-uno amount of Android phone's come in for software problems, Where as i had an Iphone come in because the dozy customer dropped hers an broke the screen.

Settings>Wifi>

press blue arrow on far right of what network u are on (>)

goto static or dhcp setting tab

set a static IP? or play with something in there?

I have a home network which has 2 wired PCs with static IPs, a data server with a static IP and up to 3 laptops which sometimes swap IPs depending on what order they're hooked up.

Never had any problems using my iPhone on the same network until recently.

Couple of days ago I was merrily surfing the net on my laptop with no problems and, after seeing a freeware "light cycles" game I had the urge to see if there was something similar for the iPhone.

Started the iPhone up and I got a message saying the network connection was unavailable.

Given that it's normally "idiot-proof" I tried disabling wifi and then re-enabling it and, when that didn't work, I switched the phone off and back on again.

That worked.

Joy!

Ten minutes later I pick up my laptop again and discover that it's no longer connected to the internet via wifi.

The error message reports that another device is using the same IP address.

Disable wifi and re-enable it and the problem remains.

Disable wifi on my iPhone and the laptop is working again.

After a bit of experimentation it's become apparent that the iPhone now seems to always "hijack" the IP of an existing wifi connection rather than picking a free one.

It doesn't matter how many other laptops are connected to the router. 3 laptops all work fine together.

Regardless of whether I have 1, 2 or 3 laptops connected to the router the iPhone always now hijacks an in-use IP.

I can't see any way to specify an IP for the iPhone to use and I don't really want to configure all my laptops just to suit the iPhone and, besides, I'm not sure it'd help cos the iPhone doesn't always hijack the same IP although it now ALWAYS uses one that one of my laptops is using.

Anybody got any suggestions for how to make the iPhone work smoothly and in an idiot-proof manner, as it used to?

• 5 months later...

Your router settings should be able to limit a single IP address for use with a single MAC address, that way your laptops and iPhone can continue using dynamic IPs on other networks.

Archived