Growing problems with Distance selling regs

I dont know what it is but lately there seems to be more traders willing to break distance selling regs thinking they can get away with it.

First one Special airsoft supplies, (yes i know i should have done research before using him) On the plus side Trading standards are now starting a criminal investigation into his sharp and it seems illegal practices. It seems he has been up to this for a looooong time.

Second though was elite airsoft, I ordered and paid for next day delivery. Now admittedly it was ordered on the Friday but there was nothing stating that it wouldn't be delivered next day when i went through the purchase process. I was even charged more than the £9.50 quoted for the next day delivery. It was only when I received the confirmation email did I find out I was actually charged 11.99 for postage instead. When I phoned to query this and spoke to Mr. Reddington I was frankly met with a shocking attitude and was hung up on a couple of times. All for asking the question. He then emailed me, cancelled my order telling me to go bother someone else. He also stated he recalled the order through parcelforce. This is not allowed under their own rules and when I spoke to parcelforce about it they said there had never been any delivery for my address. So it seems Reddington lied and was caught out in that lie. I will be taking action over this through the appropriate means as its actually against distance selling regs to do this.

I dont want people or cronies coming on here and eulogising either firm I was wondering has anyone else has had problems like this within airsoft or other aspects of buying online?

Not so much a comment on either companies practices but more on the whole 'next day delivery' thing-many online/mail order retailers will have a next day delivery option, buried somewhere in the small print of the terms and conditions will be a note saying that this is next day from point of dispatch, not point of order. Frustrating indeed but not actually breaking any rules/laws.

• 2 weeks later...

'Next-day delivery' as you see it on most online retail shops is next WORKING day from the date of POSTAGE.

Note the two words in caps there.

Saturday deliveries aren't offered by all retailers, and when they are, you usually have to pay extra for them.

Obviously, the postage company can't rush your package to you if your retailer hasn't even been bothered to package and send it yet.

Ben.

I asked him why the delivery hadn't happened and why id been charged £2.50 over what I was told on the bill. No raised voices just a question asked. My guess is he was flapping because he hadn't sent it out but thats just my opinion

Its different with online stores because of the distance selling regulations

Edited by Brom

I'm not sure thats accurate. After a bit of googling around (its a slow day in the office) i've found several websites, most reputable and well known, Airfix, saying they can refuse service to anyone at thier discretion. If it were a breach of DSR i'm sure it wouldn't be on the site.

If you've been well mannered and hes cancelled out of hand, thats poor service, no doubt. But i'm not sure hes done anything identifiably "wrong".

I understand your point but he didn't refuse my custom. He took the money and agreed the sale/contract hence the DSR come into effect. If he had refused the custom before a contract was agreed I think you might possibly be right in that case but i'd have to check closer on that.

You must be really bored :D

Mind numbingly!

The problem is, he can use any number of excuses to justify it; the item wasn't available (even if it was infront of him), he wasn't able to provide it in the timeframe requested (which is partially true), etc. Since you've not really lost anything financial i'd chalk it up to experience and find a decent retailer!

Best of luck with SAS though, mark has shown himself to be a crook time and time again and its about time something actually happened remove his store from existance.

yeah cant say much about the sas situation because of the impending court case ;) but both my local and his local trading standards have begun a criminal investigation into him. He's had many many complaints to trading standards in the last couple of months let alone years