Magpul ACR PTS Hop-Up Issues

Salty6924

SI purchased my ACR PTS and have noticed but one problem with it. My Hop-Up fails to work at all now that the rifle has had about 5000 rds put through it. I have replaced the rubber, though little wear was on the stock one, and have had no luck. The bucking is proprietary and cannot be replaced but I suspect it it the cause.

My question is this, has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so have you found a solution.

I will work on a fix during the next few days and post my results. As this is the only issue I have had with what I consider the first perfect airsoft rifle ever released, I am eager to find a quick and painless fix.

I will post a guide for the fix if found.

Cheers fellow techs from across the pond and around the world.

First thing I can think of is trying some different types/weights of ammo. My hop-up on my SCAR despises anything lighter than .25

Does anyone have pictures of the hop unit? Would be interesting to see, so far all I've seen is the rubber in the barrel.

I'm currently working a double but I can post pics in about 12-36 hours :/

The hop up problem isn't with its reliability, it just doesn't function at all now, though all looks fine inside and out. BBs just drop instead of smooth sailing into the backdrop. Heavier BBs would just make it worse I think, I will try though just for S&G.

The hop up problem isn't with its reliability, it just doesn't function at all now, though all looks fine inside and out. BBs just drop instead of smooth sailing into the backdrop. Heavier BBs would just make it worse I think, I will try though just for S&G.

So when you turn the hop-up adjustment wheel, while looking down the inside of the inner barrel, you can see the "bump" on the inside of the bucking moving up and down in accord with how the wheel is adjusted?

Is your barrel cleaned or.over lubed? That's happened to.me in the past

barrel is clean, hopup is clean as well. the bucking is moving, it seems to fix itself when I take out the interchangable barrel and then it stops working a few hundred rounds later. maybe alignment? ill do some more testing and get back. I'm planning on reviewing this rifle, I want to make sure this isn't my fault before putting it in the review.

The bucking for the PTS is not proprietary. Any standard AEG bucking will fit.

With the outer barrel assembly removed, I would function check the hop adjustment arm and physically see that it is moving up and down. If that works, it's most likely the bucking you are using. If not, you may have lost a piece of the hop lever/nub when the outer/inner barrel was removed. Good Luck.

The bucking for the PTS is not proprietary. Any standard AEG bucking will fit.

With the outer barrel assembly removed, I would function check the hop adjustment arm and physically see that it is moving up and down. If that works, it's most likely the bucking you are using. If not, you may have lost a piece of the hop lever/nub when the outer/inner barrel was removed. Good Luck.

My bucking is in tact, and on the PTS ACR the bucking is captured into the Lever, this prevents it from falling out when you change out your barrel. I will take some pics when I get a day off. I have noticed that the barrel is also not standard, though I can probably use one. When I say its nit standard, I mean the hop up slot is not of the standard dimensions.

• 2 weeks later...

My bucking is in tact, and on the PTS ACR the bucking is captured into the Lever, this prevents it from falling out when you change out your barrel. I will take some pics when I get a day off. I have noticed that the barrel is also not standard, though I can probably use one. When I say its nit standard, I mean the hop up slot is not of the standard dimensions.

Update, The issue has been worked out.

First here is a picture of the Proprietary Bucking, its the rubber bit that looks like the number 8.

post-7799-12832923740664_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately That means if you loose or ruin this bucking, you must either make a new one, or wait for Magpul to release spares. Luckily the barrel "IS" a standard AEG barrel.

Now for the cause and solution to the problem.

As you all know the ACR PTS from Magpul has a quick change barrel. This barrel Contains 1/3rd of the Hop up. The Adjustment Mech is in the Upper receiver, Along with the bucking which is clearly exposed when you pull out the barrel. IF you replace the barrel with the Hop Up ON at all, It will not function when you attempt to fire. So, One must Turn the hop up Off all the way before swapping or removing and replacing the Quick Change barrel.

Thanks for all of your help everyone. 1+ to all.

If you could post a picture of that fix that would be great because as you mentioned the Hop Up is very dissapointing on the ACR

Sure

MagPulPTSMasadaACR054.jpg

Basically what you see is the way the masada came, what I did was took an old hop up rubber, cut a sliver of to fit in where the arrow is pointing, and that gave me a bit more play on the hop up. Just turn your hop completely off before putting any bbs through it, as depending on your hop, this sliver may cause too much hop up. It helped me, but may not work for everyone.

Great photo!

Is the nub the common-and-garden flat style (like a small piece of insulation stripped off the end of some wire)?

Presumably you could also build up the bucking a little with superglue or whatever, on the outside right where the bump/mound is on the inside (again, great photo).

Sure

MagPulPTSMasadaACR054.jpg

Basically what you see is the way the masada came, what I did was took an old hop up rubber, cut a sliver of to fit in where the arrow is pointing, and that gave me a bit more play on the hop up. Just turn your hop completely off before putting any bbs through it, as depending on your hop, this sliver may cause too much hop up. It helped me, but may not work for everyone.

I use .28 bbs. Worked great for me

Great photo!

Is the nub the common-and-garden flat style (like a small piece of insulation stripped off the end of some wire)?

Presumably you could also build up the bucking a little with superglue or whatever, on the outside right where the bump/mound is on the inside (again, great photo).

All credit for the photo goes to Scuffer, it's from his review thread. Unfortunately my Masada is been looked at by the techs. Trigger issues.

If you mean the nub on the hopup arm. It is a figure of 8 style nub, same as the TAR-21 from Ares. As far as I know. There are options on how you want to build up the nub, but the option I gave was a quick and simple fix for me.

I use .28 bbs. Worked great for me

Glad to hear it!

All credit for the photo goes to Scuffer, it's from his review thread. Unfortunately my Masada is been looked at by the techs. Trigger issues.

If you mean the nub on the hopup arm. It is a figure of 8 style nub, same as the TAR-21 from Ares. As far as I know. There are options on how you want to build up the nub, but the option I gave was a quick and simple fix for me.

Glad to hear it!

What other options are there.

Here's what I have currently done.

I upgraded to a madbull 60% rubber, then cut a sliver from the spare in the package to perfectly fit that slit in the pic and used a dab of crazy glue to keep it in place, works well but I would love to hear of the alternatives and play around with them.

• 1 month later...

Sure

[picture]

Is the sliver on the outside or inside of the barrel? What did you use to glue it?

Here is a photo of the peice of rubber i have glued in place. Most Rubbers come in packs of two, so i used the spare for the mod.

post-7799-12867418016111_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of how i exactaly glued it in place, Where you place the glue is important and determines wheather or not the hopup will work after the mod. I used Super Glue, just a drop.

post-7799-12867418158094_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of the peice of rubber i have glued in place. Most Rubbers come in packs of two, so i used the spare for the mod.

Here is a photo of how i exactaly glued it in place, Where you place the glue is important and determines wheather or not the hopup will work after the mod. I used Super Glue, just a drop.

Thanks for the info. Additional question, when I remove the lower receiver to take a look, the hopup is pretty loose in the upper receiver. Is that normal?

Archived